Quantcast
Ensoniq Paris - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ensoniq Paris
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Paris systems seem so rare in Europe. Recently the former EMU library guy Swartz sold his Paris system on ebay (untouched and new in the original box). 200 bucks for the whole system.
Old 20th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
PARIS was awesome...they did the virtual analog console long before Slate and Waves...push the faders in the red and get compression and saturation. It was so easy to mix on and you didn't need a dozen different plugin compressors and EQs. I still have a 4 EDS, 2 MEC, 32x32 system in storage. I need to pull her out.
Old 20th February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto ➑️
I think the biggest problem was with ID software. Their main market was forensic audio software for law enforcement, and it seemed after 9/11, software development got really slow. I imagine their priorities were aimed elsewhere at the time.
Maybe they too were bought by Gibson
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cduffy ➑️
That little factory in Malvern was packed with freaking genius, and besides being chip designers, analog circuit designers, academics, scientists and talented developers they were all musicians. They designed their own dsp chips, the assembly language for them, the compilers, the algos - everything. They were also masters of economy. I think the paris eq ESP2 assembly code is 7 instructions. I swear they didn't really think that was a big deal. I remember one of them telling me that it was just about music and sounding musical.

I think about the paris plate sometimes. It doesn't sound very good to me at all soloed up, but in the context of a mix I still don't have anything in my arsenal that suits my personal taste as well.
This is simply great to finally see the great Mr @ cduffy himself in here Thank you for taking the time to come up here and follow the discussion about Paris and hopefully something amazing get to see the light in a near future in regard to where @ mike Audet has taken the amazing challenge into porting the drivers into Win7.

As a Paris users way back in the days, has been one of the first buyers of the system residing in Canada/Montreal, I still have 2 MEC system and hope to find a way to get in touch with Mike Audet & who knows maybe exchange with Mr Duffy and see what we can do to bring to life the whole Eco System in today's technology and much more.

The PARIS system was a real groundbreaking tech and the sound of it up today still when we all think about it (the ones who used it intensively) know how great it sounded. The genius people behind it have really came up with something quite ear blowing sonically ;-)

Going to fire up my MEC in the coming weeks and see how the bad boy is handling back today :-)
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar ➑️
This is simply great to finally see the great Mr @ cduffy himself in here Thank you for taking the time to come up here and follow the discussion about Paris and hopefully something amazing get to see the light in a near future in regard to where @ mike Audet has taken the amazing challenge into porting the drivers into Win7.

As a Paris users way back in the days, has been one of the first buyers of the system residing in Canada/Montreal, I still have 2 MEC system and hope to find a way to get in touch with Mike Audet & who knows maybe exchange with Mr Duffy and see what we can do to bring to life the whole Eco System in today's technology and much more.

The PARIS system was a real groundbreaking tech and the sound of it up today still when we all think about it (the ones who used it intensively) know how great it sounded. The genius people behind it have really came up with something quite ear blowing sonically ;-)

Going to fire up my MEC in the coming weeks and see how the bad boy is handling back today :-)
Hi - I posted the link to Mike Audet's site in my earlier post but I guess it got lost. Here is a link to his site - the drivers page.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hi - I posted the link to Mike Audet's site in my earlier post but I guess it got lost. Here is a link to his site - the drivers page.
Oh also - I think Edmund finally set the paris software free - pace stripped away and a couple bug fixes. 14 years late but what the heck :-)

PACE Free Ensoniq Paris 3.01
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Mr Chuck!

Thank you for the link and no worries the link is still in this thread. Will grab this drivers soon, I guess before getting this x64 bit Windows 7 drivers, I need to contat ID to get the PARIS 3.0 license right? Otherwise won't be able to run it even if I install the drivers from @ mike ???

If you allow me, I'll be sending you a DM soon to chat about the Paris System and further more :-)

Thank you again for the great contribution during Paris days :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Oh also - I think Edmund finally set the paris software free - pace stripped away and a couple bug fixes. 14 years late but what the heck :-)

PACE Free Ensoniq Paris 3.01
Hahhahaha this is craaaazy we just posted both at the same and wooow this is indeed greaaaat greaaat news that Mr Edmund Pirali has approved the release of a pace free PARIS 3.01.

Woooow brighter days are coming ahead I can feel it :-) Much thanks @ cduffy again
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What was PACE?
Old 21st February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Mordo ➑️
What was PACE?
PACE was a software protection scheme that had a lot of drawbacks... I think it ran as a kernel mode driver under windows. Paris used the challenge response code version that required you to contact the vendor, give them your challenge and they would issue a response that you would type in to authorize. It wasn't automated so one of the big things you would hear was "I've been waiting for my response code for x days, does anyone know how to get ahold of blah blah blah" for years after paris was discontinued.

https://www.paceap.com/
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckduffy ➑️
PACE was a software protection scheme that had a lot of drawbacks... I think it ran as a kernel mode driver under windows. Paris used the challenge response code version that required you to contact the vendor, give them your challenge and they would issue a response that you would type in to authorize. It wasn't automated so one of the big things you would hear was "I've been waiting for my response code for x days, does anyone know how to get ahold of blah blah blah" for years after paris was discontinued.

https://www.paceap.com/
It's now known as iLok :-)
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A-ha, thanks for the explanation.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Chuck! It's great to see you around again. I haven't had a Paris system in quite a while myself, but I still remember it fondly. I loved it, but when development stopped I finally moved on. But I have a buddy who still uses his, so I'll tell him about the 64-bit driver and the Pace free version that was released a while back.

I hope you're doing well, and that you're making a lot of music. I retired from my day job a couple of years back (no more software engineering) and have been able to focus on music full-time, so it's been a wonderful change. I've done a couple of CDs over the last three years. I use Samplitude most of the time now.

If you're interested: Home

Quote:
So funny seeing my name here in a google search, actually had to join to say hello. Hard to believe it was almost 20 years ago that I picked up my paris rig! I met some great people through the old forum. Still keep in touch with a few of them to this day.

I wasn't really a paris dev. I was just a crazy persistent guy who tried to get ensoniq to make more plugins for paris. I knew they were sitting on a motherload of effects from all their other gear that they could easily port to paris and get a recurring revenue stream going. They weren't even remotely interested.

Chuck
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard ➑️
Hi Chuck! It's great to see you around again. I haven't had a Paris system in quite a while myself, but I still remember it fondly. I loved it, but when development stopped I finally moved on. But I have a buddy who still uses his, so I'll tell him about the 64-bit driver and the Pace free version that was released a while back.

I hope you're doing well, and that you're making a lot of music. I retired from my day job a couple of years back (no more software engineering) and have been able to focus on music full-time, so it's been a wonderful change. I've done a couple of CDs over the last three years. I use Samplitude most of the time now.

If you're interested: Home
Great to hear from you! Not making a lot of music, just getting a rig back together actually. I used Cubase for a number of years, then more recently Studio One. I will check your stuff out :-)
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Great to hear from you! Not making a lot of music, just getting a rig back together actually. I used Cubase for a number of years, then more recently Studio One. I will check your stuff out :-)
Great to see you around Chuck!
FWIW, I still BETA test for Mike, I use the MEC with Studio One with his newest ASIO drivers. Anyone that has PARIS today is blessed to have Mike around as his x64 drivers are rock solid and PARIS has never run better IMHO. Funny to think I've been using PARIS for almost 20 years now.

It still sounds great and is smokin fast for tracking.

I always wished we could have ported over the ASR 10 efx, they were killer.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will The Weirdo ➑️
Great to see you around Chuck!
FWIW, I still BETA test for Mike, I use the MEC with Studio One with his newest ASIO drivers. Anyone that has PARIS today is blessed to have Mike around as his x64 drivers are rock solid and PARIS has never run better IMHO. Funny to think I've been using PARIS for almost 20 years now.

It still sounds great and is smokin fast for tracking.

I always wished we could have ported over the ASR 10 efx, they were killer.
Hey will, how are you?! That is cool to hear about the drivers and ASIO. What kind of latency are you getting? I always thought about the possibility of opening up the entire effects subsystem to asio, but it seemed like a lost cause technology wise.

I am a fan of Studio One. Was considering going to Pro Tools with the Apogee Quartet box after Cubase but couldn't justify the cost. I got the freebee version (Artist?) that came with a cheap presonus interface I use on my laptop and I was sold after a couple weeks. To me one of the coolest things about Studio one is they let you buy little bits and pieces of functionality that aren't included with the freebie version right in the app (for not much money).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey will, how are you?! That is cool to hear about the drivers and ASIO. What kind of latency are you getting? I always thought about the possibility of opening up the entire effects subsystem to asio, but it seemed like a lost cause technology wise.

I am a fan of Studio One. Was considering going to Pro Tools with the Apogee Quartet box after Cubase but couldn't justify the cost. I got the freebee version (Artist?) that came with a cheap presonus interface I use on my laptop and I was sold after a couple weeks. To me one of the coolest things about Studio one is they let you buy little bits and pieces of functionality that aren't included with the freebie version right in the app (for not much money).
Mike has a newer i7 and has PARIS down at 64 samples recording 8 tracks from the MEC.
I've been running 128 in Studio One v3 Pro for production without issues. I'll bump it to 256 or 512 for mixing, 2048 with Nebula, lol.

I have a PTHD rig and PARIS around for any low latency tracking needs.
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
@ cduffy

Great to read that some PARIS users have landed or convert to Studio One. I myself since Paris was in it's en days with Ensoniq, I've switch t Cakewalk then when it turned to become Sonar, I left it to Cubase for a little while until Studio One arrived and Never looked back again because of the vision and approach of the S1 Dev Team and what's coming. As many of you know V3.2 Studio One is few days to be announced and it's gonna be quite great features in, stay tuned for it.

All that being said, i'm seriously happy to see many pioneers and users of PARIS here in this thread like @ cduffy himself, and see also that @ BrianT still around o the PARIS forum and others and see that Mr E Pirali opened the doors for the user base to get their hands on 3.1 version and the great Mike A working his ass off bad. I'm gonna look to get in touch with Mike as he's a fella neighbor from Montreal. Being myself a Beta tester from many respected companies I'd like to give him all my support as well in any way I can. Who knows where the future will lead us all. The journey is what matters

Great sunday to all :-)
Old 21st February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Chuck, nice to have you around! Lots of fond memories of the old newsgroup!

On a related note, I was over at Kerry Galloway's studio a few weeks back. He had pulled out his old Paris system and was tracking with it again. Sounded fantastic
Old 22nd February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, PARIS has never, and still does not have a sound issue, lol. To this day I can't make it sound bad.

I sometimes dream Ensoniq did not sell and PARIS was on v8 now!
Old 22nd February 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Does Paris support a vst, vsti workflow, using Kontakt and instruments?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
One question:

I have a MEC with analog in/out cards and would like to use them in Reaper. Is this possible?

I do have a Paris 3.0 system working, but don't like the sync thing (always had some problems) so i want to avoid Paris software completely and move recording to Reaper. The old ASIO driver had some criminal high latency like 30ms or so which is why in the past i never used it via ASIO.

Any tips welcome!!!!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockorama ➑️
Does Paris support a vst, vsti workflow, using Kontakt and instruments?
Hi,
No
Only supported a older VST effect spec and not VSTi support. Any people I know doing MIDI/VSTi with Paris were using along side any other DAW such as Cubase, Sonar.
Syncing the 2 via time code.
Basically like you would be syncing a multitrack tape machine with your sequencer DAW.
Either on 2 different systems or all on the same machine.

Paris requires proprietary audio hardware. It will not use any other audio interface.
The MIDI/VSTi sequencing software requires it's own audio interface and ASIO driver.
The time code sync was done via MTC.
The audio from the DAW/VSTi is sent to Paris either over ADAT or analog I/O.

There is more info on these setups on the Paris user forum Chuck mentions.

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
One question:

I have a MEC with analog in/out cards and would like to use them in Reaper. Is this possible?

I do have a Paris 3.0 system working, but don't like the sync thing (always had some problems) so i want to avoid Paris software completely and move recording to Reaper. The old ASIO driver had some criminal high latency like 30ms or so which is why in the past i never used it via ASIO.

Any tips welcome!!!!
No.
Might be a little improved with Mike Audet's ASIO driver. But it would be on par with current audio interfaces. Also not sure how many actual I/O are available with ASIO. Might be the same number as available to Paris.

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Yeah, PARIS has never, and still does not have a sound issue, lol. To this day I can't make it sound bad.

I sometimes dream Ensoniq did not sell and PARIS was on v8 now!
Hi,
The software is where 90% of the magic happened IMHO.
But that is all Edmund. He never did finish the native version that he hinted at back then. Wish he did. It might still be around in some more viable form still.

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Mike has a newer i7 and has PARIS down at 64 samples recording 8 tracks from the MEC.
I've been running 128 in Studio One v3 Pro for production without issues. I'll bump it to 256 or 512 for mixing, 2048 with Nebula, lol.

I have a PTHD rig and PARIS around for any low latency tracking needs.
Oh that's great news. If only PT could make their native versions be reliable at low latencies even after all of these years.

Chris
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Chuck!!

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris ➑️
Might be a little improved with Mike Audet's ASIO driver. But it would be on par with current audio interfaces. Also not sure how many actual I/O are available with ASIO. Might be the same number as available to Paris.
Wow! I swear i read on this forum some guy bragging he can finally use old Paris hardware with new software. I asked him where are the drivers and responded with 64 bit driver that i'm already aware of, but not sure it provides ASIO.

EDIT: Found it!

https://gearspace.com/board/10920126-post38.html
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
One question:

Any tips welcome!!!!
Yes, but as Mike's new ASIO drivers are in Beta, contact him directly about testing them, he's on the PARIS forum, a very nice guy.

I use the PARIS MEC in Reaper all the time, runs great but I don't track in Reaper so I have little experience on the latency.... and a newew i7 will be even better with latency, so YMMV.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADKChris ➑️
Hi,
No
Only supported a older VST effect spec and not VSTi support.
Thanks ADKChris.
πŸ“ Reply