Quantcast
Mixing Drums - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixing Drums
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mixing Drums

What plugins do you guys use to spice up them?
I'm getting some cool results with Waves CLA.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Depending on the style of music you are doing , For an ITB mix when producing a band , I'll just throw on waves SSL or Duende channels on the meat - Kick, snare,toms etc and a Bit of compression on the OH's and Rooms . I do mostly metal and hard rock so I don't want the room to be over compressed and pumping and I just bring up them rooms a touch . I will send the Kick,snare and toms out to an FX track and use Deundes drumstrip plug in with LMC on it EQ on . I may use cuabse transient shaper to get a bit more decay out of the snare . That is about it .
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ok but don't you use any specific drums plugin like Waves CLA DRUMS?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
lol!

When I mix drums, I don't process much. EQ on what I think needs more emphasis and I usually never compress unless I have to. Although I will parallel compress if it's missing strength in the mix.

As for individual plugs, I just use waves Q10 for EQing, puig670 or softtube FET for compression.
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've had great results for a while now with the API 2500 and Kramer Tape over the drum buss, sometimes with a touch of EQP1A if needed. I usually use the CLA-76 for a mono NYC buss, and sometimes the Kramer PIE for the same in stereo.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waves Vintage, API or SSL on kick and snare.
Decapitator on Snare
Decapitator on drum bus
Parallel comp drums ( API 2500. )
Transient Designer { multiband usually ) and envelope shaper on various elements.
Cubase limiter on Toms. It's really cool if you push it hard with an auto release.
Superior Drummer and Cubase Groove Agent for alternate sample support.

Always trying new stuff when I am starting something new.
Guitar amps on drums.
Flanger on kick.
Delays on Hi Hat.

You know ....goofy stuff that sounds different .
Old 11th September 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which drum tracks are you guys sending to the parallel NY-buss for smashing?
Old 11th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treva ➑️
Personally, not usually.

Most I imagine will use compressors, eqs, ambiences and reverbs, maybe a bit of distortion and transient design...the exact same processes the CLA plugin bundles up and presents to you as one easy to use plugin.

You're not wrong in your approach...but some people want more control.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
Personally, not usually.

Most I imagine will use compressors, eqs, ambiences and reverbs, maybe a bit of distortion and transient design...the exact same processes the CLA plugin bundles up and presents to you as one easy to use plugin.

You're not wrong in your approach...but some people want more control.
I'm not asking opinions about what I should do, just wanting to know different plugins an how people use them, I'm getting really fat tones with Datube and VTM-M2, next I'll try WAVES MPX
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
RiF
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm not asking opinions about what I should do, just wanting to know different plugins an how people use them,
My goto setup is:
  • Waves SSL Channel on the drum tracks (love the gate). E-Channel for crispier highs (kick, snare, toms). G-Channel for smoother highs (overheads, room). It's just very convenient to have a full channel strip in one plugin.
  • Digi EQ3 for surgical EQ.
  • Waves SSL Buss Comp on the drum bus (1:4, slowest or 2nd-slowest-attack, fastest release, ~2 dB of GR) to glue the kit together.
  • IK Fairchild on the drum bus to give it some nice creamy edge. Very little GR, but the gain full up to drive it into some subtle saturation.
  • Waves MPX aka KMT on drum bus (sometimes...)
  • Waves CLA-76 Bluey in all-button-mode on the NY-buss (kick, snare, sometimes toms if there's not too much bleed in them) to blend in smashed drums.
  • I found myself using IK's Pultec on the drum bus if I wanted to boost the lows and/or highs of the whole kit (rarely). The crispier highs of IK's Pultec (in comparison to other Pultec'y plugins) are cool on drums.
  • ValhallaRoom or IK CSR (Plate) for reverb on the snare. ValRoom is nice for spreading out mono-mic'd room tracks, if needed.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
No I haven't tried those plugs out yet . I like to keep things pretty straight forward and too not have 100's of plug ins . The waves SSL stuff works great for me and I have the SSL dunde stuff that is it's own thing . Some stuff from voxengo and UAD quad core which I haven't installed yet . Realized I don't really need it to do what I do . I don't stack a bunch of plug ins on stuff either . Just a channel strip and maybe a transient shaper or another compressor and that is it . I tried the slate VCC stuff on all the drums for one session but i just don't like what it does on a whole bunch of tracks . Master bus is fine .
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 for VRoom for a little snare drum treatment on a bus.

I've been using Slate VCC a lot lately on drum channels both real and virtual (Superior) and on the drum bus as well. The Neve channel helps getting close mike'd drums to glue together. Might go for the VTM as well?

Waves RenComp works nicely.

For specific issues FabFilter Pro plugs. Pro-G is really good for close tom tracks and Pro-Q is useful for taming troublesome resonances (when there's no chance of going back and doing a better job while recording, of course).
Old 12th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I'm not asking opinions about what I should do, just wanting to know different plugins an how people use them, I'm getting really fat tones with Datube and VTM-M2, next I'll try WAVES MPX
I wasn't really giving you advice. You asked if anyone used "all in one" plugins, my answer was no and I explained why.
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
I wasn't really giving you advice. You asked if anyone used "all in one" plugins, my answer was no and I explained why.
Oh I was not reffering only to you, just explaining my intention
Some could understand I could be asking how should I treat drums cause you know, people read whatever they want between the lines
Old 12th September 2012
Deleted User
Fabfilter Saturn and Camelphat can do nice things to drums.

If anyone is looking for a Fabfilter friend discount code,pm me your email address and i'll send you one.
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
My go to plugs for drums are decapitator, the Kush audio ubk-1, and IK 76.

You can get some seriously great sounds from this combo
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator ➑️
Fabfilter Saturn and Camelphat can do nice things to drums.
How are you using Saturn on drums?

I got mine this summer and haven't had too much time to experiment yet...
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
As another poster mentioned, it depends on what sound I'm going for. When mixing in Logic, I just use the native plugins for vanilla compression, eq etc... If I want a more 'hip hop' sound w/ dirt, I use Logic's bit crusher. When mixing in Live, I tend to use Live's native compression and EQ 8. If I need a filter, I love SoundToys plugins.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF ➑️
Which drum tracks are you guys sending to the parallel NY-buss for smashing?
Again, depending on the particular mix/song I'm working with, it can vary. Usually I'm not only just using the kik, snr, and oh tracks (I mic my kit old school w/ just 1 mic on kik, 1 in between snr and hh, and 1 overhead condenser), I'm also sending the bass guitar over as well. Really makes the whole rhythm section thump overall, rather than just the kit.
Old 13th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I've played around with the CLA signature drum plugin, and during a tracking session when I want the kick and snare hitting hard in the control room for the client, I'll sometimes throw it up with one of the presets. Much quicker and CPU friendly than setting up my usual parallel/ambiance tracks.

However when mix time comes, I'll rarely if ever use the all-in-one drum plugs. Not enough control. My usual regiment is:

- Waves SSL E-Channel on close mics (agreed with all those above on the gate. Most musical I've found ITB)
- OHs get the UBK-1, sometimes my Mono Room will get summed into this group
- When I don't sum the room into the OHs, I like the Kramer PIE, Decapitator, CLA76 Blue Stripe (all buttons), etc.
- Drum Subgroup gets either Waves API2500, Waves SSL comp, or in specific cases, I like the Waves H-Comp (when I need to really get the drums pumping in an over-the-top manner with extremely tight timing to the track)
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYUnited ➑️
How are you using Saturn on drums?

I got mine this summer and haven't had too much time to experiment yet...
Check out the Drum saturation presets,they're a good place to start.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I use the Puigchild 670 on my Room mics with the time constant on 3 or 4 and i really push the input gain and the threshold, so the cymbals really swell after the 670 is triggered by the kick (an old beatle technique).

I also really like the Kramer HLS channel on the different drum groupings as well.
πŸ“ Reply