Quantcast
MIDI Interface w/ 'DirectMusic' Ports - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI Interface w/ 'DirectMusic' Ports
Old 10th September 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
MIDI Interface w/ 'DirectMusic' Ports

Which MIDI Interfaces (that are Windows 7 Compatible) use "DirectMusic" instead of 'Windows MIDI" ?

I recently discovered that Midi interfaces that uses 'directmusic' have tighter midi out than those interfaces based on 'windows midi' technology.
Old 17th September 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
??
Old 25th September 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
?
Old 25th September 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Yutaka's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
RME HDSP9632 shows up as DirectMusic device in Cubase. W7 x64. I'm pretty sure the MOTU 128 thingy was the same, but I can't verify as I've disconnected all the external stuff some time ago to go all ITB.
Old 25th September 2012 | Show parent
  #5
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yutaka ➑️
RME HDSP9632 shows up as DirectMusic device in Cubase. W7 x64. I'm pretty sure the MOTU 128 thingy was the same, but I can't verify as I've disconnected all the external stuff some time ago to go all ITB.
ok , thanks, I'll research more about MOTU 128
Old 25th November 2012
  #6
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone else?
It'll be hepful for all ext.midi users if we put together a list of mudi interfaces rhat use 'directmusic' instead of 'windowsmidi'
Old 25th November 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
Which MIDI Interfaces (that are Windows 7 Compatible) use "DirectMusic" instead of 'Windows MIDI" ?

I recently discovered that Midi interfaces that uses 'directmusic' have tighter midi out than those interfaces based on 'windows midi' technology.
I don't know what it means, but:

DirectMusic was first released by Microsoft in 1996 as an ActiveX control called Interactive Music Architecture (IMA).[2] It was introduced as part of the 6.1 version of the DirectX library in February 1999 and is included in all Microsoft Windows operating systems starting with Windows 98 Second Edition. DirectMusic has since been deprecated, and is not available to 64-bit applications in Windows Vista. In Windows 7, native 64-bit support is available for the core DirectMusic API related to timestamped MIDI but not for the performance component.


This makes it appear to me that it is an OS issue. But as I said, I really don't know. I took the time to look it up in hopes of gaining a better understanding.
Old 26th November 2012
  #8
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I don't know what it means, but:

DirectMusic was first released by Microsoft in 1996 as an ActiveX control called Interactive Music Architecture (IMA).[2] It was introduced as part of the 6.1 version of the DirectX library in February 1999 and is included in all Microsoft Windows operating systems starting with Windows 98 Second Edition. DirectMusic has since been deprecated, and is not available to 64-bit applications in Windows Vista. In Windows 7, native 64-bit support is available for the core DirectMusic API related to timestamped MIDI but not for the performance component.


This makes it appear to me that it is an OS issue. But as I said, I really don't know. I took the time to look it up in hopes of gaining a better understanding.
Most midi interfaces are based on 'windowsmidi' architecture, these interfaces have tremendous jitter.

Few (like midi ports in RME sound cards) use 'directmusic' architecture and have much less timing jitter.
Old 26th November 2012 | Show parent
  #9
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
Most midi interfaces are based on 'windowsmidi' architecture, these interfaces have tremendous jitter.

Few (like midi ports in RME sound cards) use 'directmusic' architecture and have much less timing jitter.
I understand that. What I don't 'get':

Wouldn't you have to select one or the other in your DAW? Or are you saying that any MIDI interface that can handle directmusic automatically receives a directmusic MIDI signal? How?

If MS has limited directmusic since Vista, does that affect what you are discussing?
Old 26th November 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
I understand that. What I don't 'get':

Wouldn't you have to select one or the other in your DAW? Or are you saying that any MIDI interface that can handle directmusic automatically receives a directmusic MIDI signal? How?

If MS has limited directmusic since Vista, does that affect what you are discussing?
Im prety sure Its not selectable. In daw like cubase when i open midi device manager, it shows which midi devices use direct music and which use windows midi.

Dont know if microsoft has limited directmusic, but if they did they are very ignorant! Maybe they did, since so little midi interfaces use directmusic
Old 17th May 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Can't find anything online about MOTU's midi port.

So anyone know other interfaces besides RME that use "Directmusic" midi ports?
Old 11th June 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
11 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've never run into an interface that didn't support both Windows MIDI and DirectMusic.

Like the guy above said, i'm pretty sure it's more of an OS thing. If the interface is compliant with Windows, it's going to have that. Same way it's going to have an ASIO driver.

You choose the want you want to use in your DAW. (Cubase is known to filter it out, I remember in Cubase 5 I had to remove it's filter to see all of the available MIDI drivers and then chose the one that worked best on my system).

So yeah... any audio interface you get is going to have that in it's driver and Windows will be able to communicate with it either thru Windows MIDI or thru DirectMusic.
Old 17th June 2013 | Show parent
  #13
256380
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS-12 ➑️
Can't find anything online about MOTU's midi port.

So anyone know other interfaces besides RME that use "Directmusic" midi ports?
Hi there - this is my 1st post!

I just found this thread while looking into an issue concerning' Direct Music and Windows MIDI', some useful information so thanks! Anyway I use the MOTU 128 and just checked and to confirm it uses windows MIDI (when used in Cubase 7 x64 on Windows 7 x64 at least).

I just had a question, another Cubase 7 user is trying to get an old USB M-Audio KeyRig to work in C7 and it doesn't respond, but when you look at the MIDI inputs in Setup, it says that both of these drivers are being used at the same time!?#

So from what I can gather through reading this thread - this is weird isn't it? Shouldn't Cubase just be using one or the other (and not both)? Any help is much appreciated - many thanks,

Kat
Old 17th June 2013
  #14
Lives for gear
 
wakestyle's Avatar
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I'm pretty much think it's just RME at this point...
Old 17th June 2013
  #15
256380
Guest
Thanks for the advice/comments guys, I hadn't realized but I forgot to subscribe to the thread when I posted! Yikes 5-7 ms delay is a lot - I'll be sure to avoid emulated ports like the plague! Anyway I'll have a good look at the PDF as I was wondering about the driver filtering - many thanks for the link!

*EDIT*

Hey just had a quick read of the link you sent, really interesting and useful information which is a great help to the problem at hand, awesome thanks again!
Old 7th July 2013
  #16
Lives for gear
 
TS-12's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Recently got midi quest 8port se, and bought saparetly dedicated direct music port 64 bit driver. much more tighter midi with 8 outputs. I didnt do thourough tests with it yet but so far didnt hear any timing issues. Sounds as tight as midi out on mac and win xp. Hghly recommend this unit with this driver.
πŸ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4616 views: 615493
Avatar for smoke
smoke 7th May 2021
replies: 98 views: 39226
Avatar for dfghdhr
dfghdhr 5th June 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump