My Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 DAWBench Results - Page 5 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Windows 7 vs. Windows 8 DAWBench Results
Old 27th October 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timur Born ➡️
Yes, I know about the LSI/Agere issues from earlier, that's why I wrote "curios", but should have written "ironically". In the past using TI based controllers was preferred, but I saw several cases where onboard TI controllers caused issues. Most of these are solved by going back to "legacy" drivers, but I had at least one case where that didn't provide the final solution either (switching from a FF 400 to a FF UC did).
Well, you didn't really resolve it by going to the UC , you just circumnavigated it... LOL

Lets hope that UC is not connected to a USB3 port....

The legacy mode in Win7 should always be used for FW interface IMO. There is always a measurable difference even if the native driver was working O.K.
Old 27th October 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Have these initial tests been rerun on the RTM version of Windows 8 by any chance? Microsoft released a huge patch which should have addressed audio video performance issues. Here is a link to the particular patch Windows 8 Client and Windows Server 2012 General Availability Cumulative Update

I was just curious because Microsoft usually fine tunes performance before the RTM release. Just as a side note I have been using Pro Tools 10 on Win 8 Pro RTM for a while now and I have not encountered any major bugs. After I finally got Pro Tools to start.

Last edited by EuphPlayer28; 27th October 2012 at 10:44 PM.. Reason: Spelling error
Old 18th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For those who miss the Recent Documents functionality of the Start Menu I'd highly recommend pinning frequently used programs to the Taskbar. When you do this in Win 7 or Win 8 you can then right click on a program to see the most recent documents you've opened in that program.

I think this is a better way to work. If I want to see recent Word docs, I right click on the Word icon I've pinned to the Taskbar and see only the relevant info.

Cheers,

Tunes
Old 18th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I have WIndows 8 now. I dont recognize less Power...

But I have not made a real test... just how I feel about it, win8 and 7 feel the same (Using VSTi and heavy mastering effects)

edit: using CUbase 6.5

But I had 2 Crashes with Ozone 5 loading it into a 90% project that was playing - crashed Cubase on me!
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For those interested and following along,

I was given a heads up that this thread had ruffled a few feathers over at the Cakewalk forums and that there was some ongoing, hmmm, discussion about the merits of the DAWbench testing methodology over Cakewalks meter, as well as my motivation ? !!

Usual dog and pony show I have come to expect over there , but I have engaged the devs directly, lets see what they come back with.

I'll keep you guys up to date.

Hi to the Cake members lurking... :-)

Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Hey mate, just stick to your DAWbenching, ruffling feathers over at the CW forums is my job! ;-)

Old 20th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddard ➡️
Hey mate, just stick to your DAWbenching, ruffling feathers over at the CW forums is my job! ;-)
Sorry Mate, didn't mean to step on your turf... :-)

Nothing much going on since I popped my beak in anyway , no response from the devs as yet , the usual crew doing what they do best , etc

Old 20th November 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
why not check other daws too?

but i doubt any major differences.. win 8 is basically win 7..
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
No worries V., plenty of feathers over there, ruffle away mate! ;-)
Old 27th January 2013
hue
Here for the gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
The results over at Cakewalk were due to their employing WASAPI. I don't know if you used this "system exclusive" mode of the ASIO driver but it seems to be a great idea.

MS has since made this feature available from the windows mixer. To be honest it gave me a headache for the first while as all other sounds were rendered non functional(Media Player, Quick Time.). It took me a while to figure it out. From the Windows mixer you can now give exclusive access to your ASIO driver from your DAW. This will also prevent any other application from accessing the driver. This is a good thing and basically creates a very low latency environment for your DAW.

Incidentally, I've been using Windows 8 with ProTools 9, Samplitude 11 and Sonar X2 and so far everything works fine.

Quote:
Don't ask me why I need three DAWs. I don't but I'm an upgrade junkie. Always looking for something better. I should probably just improve my chops but you can't buy that.
Old 28th January 2013 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hue ➡️
The results over at Cakewalk were due to their employing WASAPI. I don't know if you used this "system exclusive" mode of the ASIO driver but it seems to be a great idea.
No, you've confused the earlier description in that CW blog article regarding Win8's Metro implementation of WASAPI ("WASAPI Exclusive Mode in Metro") and CW's internal benchmarking setup ("System configuration and specs").

CW's benchmarking was done with a Firewire audio interface (MOTU Ultralite Mk3) employing ASIO drivers (apparently CW used their own "Test ASIO" driver) and in the ASIO mode setting of CW, as specified in the "Benchmark Test Matrix".

ASIO does not employ WASAPI at all, and CW's reported tests did not employ WASAPI!
Old 10th June 2013 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hi all, I would like to bring this thread back to life and ad that I have had nothing but great success with windows 8 and Presonus Studio One v2. The biggest reason I think people are having problems, is with their older PC "hardware" or older software. Windows 8 code is built around modern hardware including the most recent generations of processors, MB's, Ram and SSD/HDD's.

Myself, I took the plunge and sunk $1,000 into a new (3rd generation) Intel i7 3770 desktop from Asus which came preloaded with windows 8 64bit, 16 gigs of 1600mhz ram and a couple sata3 HDDs. I installed all of my older software like, Omnisphere, Trillion, Nexus, Waves Bundle and NI Komplete without a single glitch. Before I ran the DAW software, I updated all of my software and plugins if any were needed and my DAW now runs like a new car! A muscle car to be exact!

With all of that said, New PC Hardware + New Windows 8 = New Positive experience!! There is no looking back for me. By now, most DAW software out there is updated to support windows 8 so things are looking good for all of us.

I think at this point, It would be in everybody's best interest to take the $ plunge and try and utilize modern hardware with windows 8 before giving it any negative reviews. The only negative I had was the Metro start menu but I spent $5.00 on an app called Start8 which allows me to boot straight to the desktop and also gives me my start menu back. Goodbye Metro!! Easy as that.

I also look forward to the windows 8.1 update which may eliminate the need for any 3rd party software to bypass the start menu and add start button support. Fingers crossed...
Old 23rd June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewcomb28 ➡️
Hi all, I would like to bring this thread back to life and ad that I have had nothing but great success with windows 8 and Presonus Studio One v2. The biggest reason I think people are having problems, is with their older PC "hardware" or older software. Windows 8 code is built around modern hardware including the most recent generations of processors, MB's, Ram and SSD/HDD's.

Myself, I took the plunge and sunk $1,000 into a new (3rd generation) Intel i7 3770 desktop from Asus which came preloaded with windows 8 64bit, 16 gigs of 1600mhz ram and a couple sata3 HDDs. I installed all of my older software like, Omnisphere, Trillion, Nexus, Waves Bundle and NI Komplete without a single glitch. Before I ran the DAW software, I updated all of my software and plugins if any were needed and my DAW now runs like a new car! A muscle car to be exact!

With all of that said, New PC Hardware + New Windows 8 = New Positive experience!! There is no looking back for me. By now, most DAW software out there is updated to support windows 8 so things are looking good for all of us.

I think at this point, It would be in everybody's best interest to take the $ plunge and try and utilize modern hardware with windows 8 before giving it any negative reviews. The only negative I had was the Metro start menu but I spent $5.00 on an app called Start8 which allows me to boot straight to the desktop and also gives me my start menu back. Goodbye Metro!! Easy as that.

I also look forward to the windows 8.1 update which may eliminate the need for any 3rd party software to bypass the start menu and add start button support. Fingers crossed...
So have we actually tested Windows 7 on this machine?
Old 23rd June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dern! I have just waded through this elderly thread to refresh my memory... and I CAN compare win7 and win8.
I have a desktop with Win7 64bit on it and also a laptop with win8.1 on it.
The laptop previously had Win7 on it.
I am still equally happy with the performance of both machines and can honestly say the overall experience under win8.1 is extremely positive.

I have a spare Win8 Pro install that I got when it as first released, waiting for my next studio desktop build and although I also have a spare win7 install, it will be the win8 one that goes on the new box. No reason not to in my case.

YMMV, but I think there has been a lot of negativity about 8 although in the real world unless you are looking for bleeding edge performance there appears to be at best minimal difference between properly set-up systems on modern computers with decent interfaces.

Oh, and just for grins I reently bought the upgrade to sonarX3 having left the cake camp at 8.5.3 and am so far reasonably impressed.
Havent done a full blown audio and midi session on it yet though...

Reaper is still first call.....
Old 24th June 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I've just installed W8 on one of my machines out of curiosity. I really like the new task manager and the file copy window with it's data transfer rate graph. But, other than that, all I am seeing is a bunch of hardly impressive, annoying, gimmicky and insignificant cosmetic changes that are not worth the hassle of learning a new interface that does exactly the same thing XP could do over 10 years ago, let alone W7.

Another reason to not upgrade is that, with every major release, users are forced to waste a considerable amount of time and effort trying to get the operating system to work the way they want. For example, with Windows 8 users may have to find a way to disable the start screen, to get the start menu back, or to replace the ribbon interface with normal menus in Explorer, etc. Also, hardware and software that previously worked may no longer work correctly, and subtle issues such as DPC latency may crop up.

Big companies like Microsoft have large numbers of employees, so they have to continuously find new ways to keep their staff busy to keep everyone in their jobs. A good way to do this is by "fixing" things that ain't broke, and then pass the “development” cost onto the users. Somebody at Microsoft got paid to remove the "Up" button from Explorer in Windows 7. Later, somebody (maybe the same person) got paid to surreptitiously add the button back in Windows 8. Thank you Classic Shell for doing Microsoft's work.

People whose first OS was W7 will probably thought the up button was a brand-new feature, which in fact had already been there since Windows 95. Thank you Classic Shell picking up the slack. Google do this too, e.g. by removing USB Mass Storage mode from Android. I am sure somebody will get commissioned to add this back again later.

I am not saying the Windows 8 user interface looks terrible, I am just saying that the Windows 7 user interface already looked great, therefore I don’t see the need for a new look.

Lastly, processing power hasn't seen any dramatic improvements in the past few years, whether this is due to technical limitations or lack of consumer demand is open to debate. The computing needs of the average user, whose typical usage pattern includes typing emails, watching funny videos on YouTube, etc, were already more than satisfied several years ago, and we must not forget that the bulk of Microsoft's revenue comes from average users. As long as the underlying technology remains unchanged (transistor-based computing vs quantum computers and so on), Microsoft are just twiddling their thumbs waiting for Moore's Law to catch up.

So at least if they don't have anything to do, it would be nice if they would refrain from doing useless UI overhauls.

I, for one, am sticking with W7 for now.
Old 1st August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Anyone tested windows 10 allready?
Old 2nd August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur ➡️
I did with my Surface Pro 2, and RXC-ext increased from 41 (Win 8.1) to 47 in Win 10
Old 2nd August 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
There should be midi improvements and some buffers in Windows should be smaller, meaning lower latency can be achieved. I'm still testing to get to the bottom of this.

Allso some improvements made have still to be unleached when the first plugins will be ported over from IOS and Android. And we still have to find out what DirectX12 brings to the table audio wize (might be nothing)... (But we don't know now).

When the first reall ASIO drivers for W10 are optimized (I reckon we will see those in a month or three) we will know more.
Old 3rd August 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur ➡️
I'm running Windows 10 with Ableton Live 9 64bit and ilok. Soundtoys and Slate Digital play nice so does u-he and Native Instruments synths.

No problems at all but I had a rough first day getting ilok to play nice and my comp had to be fully powered off to get the Sound card driver install to work.
📝 Reply