Quantcast
EQ Master ( 2Buss ) ITB - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ Master ( 2Buss ) ITB
Old 11th September 2012
Deleted 1846071
I look forward to trying the Nebula Massive Passive.

As to the Why question...

1. Affects all tracks, thus glues somewhat.

2. May provide mojo - the way some engineers will run through Pultecs set flat, just for the euphony.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Are we jumping OTB for eq ? seems strange since you are ITB.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
The UAD Massive Passive and Fabfilter Pro-Q get the most use around here nowadays. Really depends on what the track needs (if anything).
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Puigchild EQP1A
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey ➑️
If you're going to just "add it the end" you might as well leave that to the mastering guy.

I mean they "mixed into it" - usual practice (and one I tend to follow myself) is to get a rough mix, maybe make some broad tonal decisions, then set up the mix buss EQ (and fairly early on, compression) and mix from there.

Usual practice is to add a few dB of topend (something like a shelf at 15-16k) and maybe a touch of low end, but it varies.

Occasionally this might be revisited throughout the mix - if something's sounding a bit soft, I'd go back and maybe add a small peak at 2k or something - but from that point on, all decisions are made with the EQ in place.
What is your low end setting usually like? Do you use a shelf as well?
Old 12th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
MeldaProduction MAutoDynamicEQ

MeldaProduction MAutoDynamicEQ.

Tried this and it speeds up my learning curve with a few years.
It won't help a bad mix but improves the mix in a way that I can't do myself.

Analyzes the mix
analyzes a reference track
Then you decide how much of that EQ you want to apply to your mix.

http://youtu.be/07Df5kDC9xY

So you can start flaming now.
I don't care cause I got my MeldaProduction MAutoDynamicEQ
Old 12th September 2012
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
for me, any Pultec Style EQ works great for my master buss duties.

A 2db Boost at 60hz will help bring some "weight" in the lows to your song, and a gentle boost in the high end to brighten/gloss it up doesnt hurt either.....
Old 12th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equiv_Exchange ➑️
What is your low end setting usually like? Do you use a shelf as well?
I own a hammer, which is fixed curves - I think the hi and low are shelving. Usually just 1-2dB at 50Hz - not usually any more than that.

In a commercial room, I'd use a gml or massive passive, doing the same thing as a shelf.
Old 12th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardwynne ➑️
This is stinky. I have no use for this with perfect mixes!!! My sound is full and the big time. Flat line eq curve on master bus!
Rah rah.
You all must learn.
No-one said you HAVE to use mix buss eq.

I said many, if not all of the high end engineers I've worked with, and have first hand knowledge of, do.

These are the guys mixing the records we all hear and praise on a regular basis. The Alan moulders, Hugh padghams of this world.

If you have perfect mixes already...no worries, you're obviously doing something right!

I don't know anyone who does perfect mixes really - even the top guys are constantly learning - so if there's ever a time you're not 100% satisfied, it could be something to try.

If Socrates was the wisest man in Athens 'cos he knew he knew nothing, what does that make the mix engineer who thinks he has nothing more to learn?
Old 12th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Wow no mention of Tritone Digital, that always amazes me.

Anyway, this:
ClassicTone-PEV for Mac
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I don't know anyone who does perfect mixes really - even the top guys are constantly learning - so if there's ever a time you're not 100% satisfied, it could be something to try.
That's why i ask the question....... Thank's psycho for clarify.
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I own a hammer, which is fixed curves - I think the hi and low are shelving. Usually just 1-2dB at 50Hz - not usually any more than that.

In a commercial room, I'd use a gml or massive passive, doing the same thing as a shelf.
Thanks! Any idea what the q is for the hi and lo shelves on the hammer? Or where I can find that info?
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:

I said many, if not all of the high end engineers I've worked with, and have first hand knowledge of, do.

These are the guys mixing the records we all hear and praise on a regular basis. The Alan moulders, Hugh padghams of this world.

If you have perfect mixes already...no worries, you're obviously doing something right!

If Socrates was the wisest man in Athens 'cos he knew he knew nothing, what does that make the mix engineer who thinks he has nothing more to learn?
I wonder how many of those guys do it for the EQ or for the color that the Hardware unit brings.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummerz ➑️
I look forward to trying the Nebula Massive Passive.

As to the Why question...

1. Affects all tracks, thus glues somewhat.

2. May provide mojo - the way some engineers will run through Pultecs set flat, just for the euphony.
this!
Old 13th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
I wonder how many of those guys do it for the EQ or for the color that the Hardware unit brings.
Given that the gml is widely known for being "transparent" and these situations generally involve LFACs, I'd say it's for the eq.
Old 13th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Given that the gml is widely known for being "transparent" and these situations generally involve LFACs, I'd say it's for the eq.
True. I was thinking more of the Pultecs.
Old 14th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia ➑️
True. I was thinking more of the Pultecs.
I agree - in that situation, it's as much for tone I guess.

I know one guy in particular who does both at times - sontec for transparency, pair of Cartecs for tone.

Personally, I have a Hammer and I guess I use it for both up to a point - it certainly does something just by being "on", although it's difficult to judge exactly what 'cos there's a 1.5dB level boost as well! But if I were totally ITB, I'd use the MDW EQ for boost, and saturation plug for the tone aspect.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
RND Portico - the best sounding plugin EQ i've heard.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I tend to use very few things on the mixbuss at the end of a mix, but I love trying out distortions and weird effects. That way you can find sounds you didn't know you could get, but then, as someone said before, move them "upstream" to the drum buss or some vocals or something.

I tend to do my harmonic distortion with, well, harmonic distortion plugins more than EQs, if ever. For a Buss EQ, I'll usually use EQuality, set to Analogue (which doesn't mean distorted btw) or linear for high end sweetening.

But yeah, always try to move the adjustments you do on Buss EQs upstream to the instruments that actually need it if you can.
Old 14th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Another vote for EQuality
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablo ➑️
Another vote for EQuality
I have the 14 day version of there plug thats only like $49.99 if I remember but I really like it even compared to the channel strip and the EQIII . It gives a really nice snap to kick drums . I put it on a buss then EQ the inside and outside together on the buss. Sounds great complete surrise given that its $49.99 and for some reason Iv had it a month and still hasn't expired.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I mean they "mixed into it" - usual practice (and one I tend to follow myself) is to get a rough mix, maybe make some broad tonal decisions, then set up the
Usual practice is to add a few dB of topend (something like a shelf at 15-16k) and maybe a touch of low end, but it varies.
- but from that point on, all decisions are made with the EQ in place.
Thank you for explaining that.
Thats not at all what I have been doing so I will have to try your method .

Has anybody ever heard those JDK EQs on the master buss . I would like to hear what they sound like. I still need a stereo EQ for the master buss and a nice comp . I use channel strips on the master they work but they are pre,s so its not optimal.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
UAD Massive Passive here. Usually goes on about half way through the mix.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
UAD Brainworx V2 followed by UAD Massive Passive. The BX for notching anything in the low end that may be causing things to cluster a bit and filtering the side channel higher than the center. The MP mastering version gets used for those lovely filters, the low end between 16 and 30hz and the top at 52 or 40k. Something I do during the mix process is give the mix some top/mid/bottom with the MP at different points just to see what it needs, then removing the equalization, going to the individual channels that did/did not benefit from the processing and compensating there. At the end of the mix I usually have the Manley with only the filters on and the color that comes from having it there. Very rarely will I boost eq on the mixbuss.
Old 17th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardwynne ➑️
This is stinky. I have no use for this with perfect mixes!!! My sound is full and the big time. Flat line eq curve on master bus!
Rah rah.
You all must learn.
Tad Donnely?
Old 18th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Waves Pultec EQP-1A.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelrod ➑️
Tad Donnely?
I paid bucks, man, and could not get the boom!
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The new Native Instruments Passive eq+uad pultec pro.

The uad ampex 102 has a high and low boost knob,ill adjust those as well.

Sent from my PC36100
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Mammoth EQ,Black Master eQ PRO,PoolTeQ PRO for Nebula3 Pro the bestes sounding plugins EQ i've heard
Old 18th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone know of a good 500 series stereo eg that would be appropriate for this?
πŸ“ Reply