Quantcast
Help me troubleshoot my Profire 2626!! Driving me crazy! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help me troubleshoot my Profire 2626!! Driving me crazy!
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Help me troubleshoot my Profire 2626!! Driving me crazy!

Hi everyone

I previously owned a M-Audio Firewire Solo which I thought was decent but didn't have enough inputs for me, so I bought a Profire 2626. Connecting this thing is driving me crazy.. so maybe you guys can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

What I have:
Macbook pro (OS 10.6.8)
Western Digital MyPassport Studio portable hard drive (firewire 800 equipped)
Logic 9.1.7
M-Audio Profire 2626 interface
KRK Rokit 5 studio monitors

What works:
Basically, my interface is talking perfectly with Logic. If I plug an instrument into the interface and open up Logic, I can hear the sound coming through my monitors and see it recording in Logic. I can also drag mp3s into Logic and hear them through my monitors.

What doesn't work:
Outside of Logic, my interface is not talking to my computer AT ALL. I cannot play songs in itunes/youtube/anything else and hear them through my monitors. I ONLY hear them through my laptop speakers. Also, I cannot daisy chain my hard drive. When I try to do this, it just doesn't show up on my desktop.

The Profire stats I am running at are:
Hardware: ProFire 2626 (2)
Firmware: 1.0.10
Software: 2.3.3
Code: 64-bit 2 Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4 GHz

All the analog outs are set to "mixer out"

What am I doing wrong??

Let me know if you guys need more info... and thanks for the help!!
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Did you assign your computer to use the Profire instead of the internal soundcard?
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I tried... when I do that, it says "The selected device has no output controls"

Do you know what that could mean and how I can fix it? I am using a firewire 400 to 800 adapter so I can hook it up to my macbook pro. Could the problem be related to this? I kind if doubt it because I had my firewire solo hooked up with this exact cable and adapter and it worked perfectly, but I am just throwing it out there in case this may be the issue.
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If Logic is recognizing the profire then the computer is recognizing it. it is a setting that needs to be corrected. When you click on the apple sign on top left does it give you the option to click into the profire console?
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Not sure what you mean, sorry.. I can get to the M-Audio Profire Control Panel (is this what you mean by console?) by going to the apple logo on the top left then system preferences and its there.. but its not directly in the menu that drops down from the apple logo.

If it helps.. here are some screenshots from the M-Audio Profire Control Panel:

I should add that changing from 192khz to 44.1khz hasn't affected my issue. I am only switched to 192khz on these screenshots because I am recording something right now and wanted to record in 192khz.

Thanks for helping me out so far by the way...
Old 10th September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
It seems like things are in line there. The signal showing there, is that from logic or is that from itunes etc.?
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
The signal was from Logic. Also, when I assign my computer's sound to the Profire and I try to adjust the computer's volume, i get this:

Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
And right after I posted that... it started working. Pretty interesting. Any reason that you might think my WD hard drive isn't daisy chaining though?
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I had a similar setup, and had to put the firewire drive before the 2626.

However, it seems to work better if the drive is hooked up USB so I'd just do that if you can.
Old 10th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah I'm using it through USB for the time being. I'm sure one day it'll just work on its own.. never knew an interface that was so picky.
Old 10th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
you can't plug the drive after soundcard, RTFM - most of manufacturers say so.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatfulofHollow ➑️
Yeah I'm using it through USB for the time being. I'm sure one day it'll just work on its own.. never knew an interface that was so picky.
It's not the interface as much as the Firewire architecture.
πŸ“ Reply