Quantcast
Best tablet to run a remote desktop program - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best tablet to run a remote desktop program
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Best tablet to run a remote desktop program

I cannot keep running back and fourth from the computer to the vocal booth.
I am using a PC using Samplitude running on XP.

I've tried the Frontier Tranzport....not working for me.
Is an iPad my best choice to run a standard remote desktop program. I would rather just use the interface of my recording software instead of some remote app interface. I've heard a Samsung tablet will not work. Not sure why.

Would rather get something less expensive than an iPad, but is that my best choice because of the scrolling features on a small screen.

Is there some kind of quiet Notebook or laptop that would work. Cannot have any noise in the booth obviously. I wouldn't mind having a real keyboard so I can use the same device to write on.

Will even an iPad run a remote desktop program that will show me the Samplitude interface on my PC so I can make changes from the recording both....arm tracks...set levels etc. etc.

Thanks for any input!
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I don't know about apple but on android you can use vnc viewer.
You install a smal "server" app on your pc and log in to it and you get your desktop on your tablet.
Both the xp and android software is free.

It is a bit fiddly for "serious" manipulation though, but for arming tracks and adjusting faders you should be fine.

As for specs of your tablet i cannot give good advice, but my guess is you dont need a high spec device.

For example i use vnc to log into hvac management servers on my android phone for making small adjustments and it does what it has to.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecticcc ➑️
I don't know about apple but on android you can use vnc viewer.
Yes, but using android without already having a phone I would have to pay an additional fee for connectivity, would I not?

With a tablet or notebook I could use Wi Fi with my existing internet connection which is what I would prefer to do.

Thanks for the input though.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Looks like there's an embarrassment of riches -- there are a bunch of different Android apps with the phrase 'VNC viewer' in the title... any insight from anyone into the preferred app?

And preferred client for the PC? TightVNC?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Splashtop

I've used "Splashtop" for this. I can remotely log in to my music PC using my Samsung Galaxay 10.1 tablet and control the PC desktop, Pro Tools, whatever.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Get an Android tablet and an app called TouchDAW. It's going to cost you way less than an iPad and it's the best app for the purpose I've ever seen (awesome precision, unlike other apps I've tried.) You can get a used tablet for about $200 (or even a new one, if you're willing to work on a 7" device) and the cost of the app is only $5.

TouchDAW has dedicated support for Cubase/Nuendo, Live, Logic, Pro Tools, Sonar, FL Studio, Reason, REAPER, Studio One, Samplitude, SAWStudio, Digital Performer and Acid/Vegas. If you use any of these DAW's, just hook it up to your wi-fi and you're ready to go.

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I've used ac-7 core on my iPhone for this sort of thing before...
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandergraf ➑️
I've used "Splashtop" for this. I can remotely log in to my music PC using my Samsung Galaxay 10.1 tablet and control the PC desktop, Pro Tools, whatever.
Very interesting. I may try that. I am trying a pc netbook that my friend says will work with a remote desktop program for XP. Not sure what brand it is as of yet.
Old 25th October 2012
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hey all succesfully used splashtop to connect to my mac pro through asus tablet and used pocket cloud to connect through phone. sgs2

problems are that pocket cloud does not do sound but got desktop on phone and was very useful cept for using logic.

Splastop worked great even had sound. well sound from mac worked fine as in previewing audii filea from finder but when i started logic playing all i got was crackling. does anyone know why? WOULD BE PERFWCT IF PLAYED LOGICS SOUND. the rest worked beautifully even editing audio.
πŸ“ Reply