The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Multiple Digi 192 Insert Question ?
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
Multiple Digi 192 Insert Question ?

Hello All,

I am a little stuck on this problem.

I have had 3 x 192's to run external analogue hardware.
One of my 192 frames is not recognising cards so I have the extra AD & DA cards in my other 2 units giving me 24 analogue I/O.

For my inserts it's easy enough to get 16 channels working correctly as the 1-8 on both 192's have the respective cards for the numbered input/outputs.

However, as 9-16 is spread across 2 different units for the AD/DA cards I'm not sure if this will give me access to the 3rd pair of AD/DA as inserts.
I have repatched the I/O to reflect 9-16 input & outputs on the correct units & tried setting the 9-16 inserts firstly on unit 1.. nothing, then on unit 2 as 9-16 but still nothing.
I'm just wondering if this is possible or am I asking too much of the technology ??

This thread seemed to suggest it might be possible.
Avid Audio Forums - View Single Post - Does hardware insert MUST be same I/O ?

Thanks for any help.
Cheers
Matt
Old 16th April 2014
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 5 years
I am having the same issue. I would like to run inserts on channels that utilize 2 digi 192 interfaces, in my case channels 17-24. I want to have these as preset hardware effect units. and show up on my insert list. I have already set this up in the I/O preferences. I can get the converters to send to and from the hardware fx gear only if I incorporate an aux track in Protools, but it will not pass audio as an insert on the channel. I can see levels light up on their respected channel on the interfaces, but I have no sound during playback. Does anyone know how to get the software to matrix the audio as an insert. I would rather do it as an insert to avoid latency, and phase shift issues working with the aux track method, as an insert the whole track is delayed, mixed with the effect, then brought back into the channel without sounding weird. When using the aux in parallel with the original track creates a phasing issue unless I print my effects then delay compensation does its job to correct the offset of the latency.
Old 17th April 2014
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 10 years
The inserts only work on I/O 1-8, you need to have both the input & output using 1-8. I did manage to get signal to pass using I/O across 2 different 192 interfaces on 9-16 using all slots, however they weren't delay compensated. 192's will only recognise 3 analogue cards even though there are potentially 4 slots.
Therefore, I believe it's only possible to have external inserts in PT using analogue I/O 1-8 of your 192.

Cheers
Matt
๐Ÿ“ Reply