Quantcast
Autotune - Auto or Graphical? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Autotune - Auto or Graphical?
View Poll Results: Which mode of Autotune do you prefer on Lead Vocals?
Auto Mode
4 Votes - 66.67%
Graphical Mode
2 Votes - 33.33%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Autotune - Auto or Graphical?

I've always been of the assumption that graphical mode is the better of the two options, however, when recording in America, I asked why we were using Auto mode instead of graphical with our name producer - he said that graphical tends to make it sound more amateur and that auto sounds more natural (from the interface it seemed to be Autotune 2, however, I've seen him on Autotune 5 and 6 before in videos in other studios so I'm sure it's not a version issue).

So I was just wondering, which mode do you prefer and why?

Note - PLEASE don't turn this into a "sing it right first, to hell with autotune" thread.
Old 9th September 2012

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTSH ➡️
I've always been of the assumption that graphical mode is the better of the two options, however, when recording in America, I asked why we were using Auto mode instead of graphical with our name producer - he said that graphical tends to make it sound more amateur and that auto sounds more natural (from the interface it seemed to be Autotune 2, however, I've seen him on Autotune 5 and 6 before in videos in other studios so I'm sure it's not a version issue).

So I was just wondering, which mode do you prefer and why?

Note - PLEASE don't turn this into a "sing it right first, to hell with autotune" thread.
Mike, with respect to whoever it was that said that out of the guys I know you've been working with, it was a daft thing for them to say!

For example - you can take the graphical mode, choose "make auto" and you can have the whole thing close-as-dammit to how it would be treated under automatic mode. With the added benefit that you can correct anything that hasn't been treated quite right.

I'd say it's the polar opposite of the quote you mention - auto mode makes things sound amateurish, but graphical mode (whilst it can be badly used and overdone), can be imperceptible - if the original performance is close enough.

If Mr Name Producer things it sounds "amateurish" have him send a vocal needing tuning this way...I'll prove in skilled hands, it's not the case!

Auto very much has it's place - when tracking and when needing quick fixes for doing overdubs to, or for comping pop vocals prior to "real" tuning. But rarely should it be used in a final production that you care about.
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Auto mode is great if you want that ****ty autotuned sound, ie use it as an effect.

Graphical is essential if you want it to sound like a human being.
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug ➡️
Auto mode is great if you want that ****ty autotuned sound, ie use it as an effect.

Graphical is essential if you want it to sound like a human being.
...and actually, it's easier to get a perfect result with the autotune effect, by editing it graphically after doing the "make auto" thing
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…