Quantcast
Excess Noise When Trying to Record - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Excess Noise When Trying to Record
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Excess Noise When Trying to Record

Hi, I've been trying to use my Toshiba Satellite A505 to record my vocals, but there's a big issue with the excess noise making all of the recordings sound bad in my headphones. I don't know if it's my sound card or maybe the internal fan (which gets pretty loud when I have it in high performance mode) It sounds really similar to tape saturation.

It's not just my headphones either. When I play music in my monitors, I get that same background noise.

Any idea on what I could do to make my sound clearer?

Here's my setup, if that helps:
Shure S7MB -> FMR Audio's RNP -> MOTU MK3Ultralite -> Toshiba Satellite A505

Thanks in advance!
Old 9th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I clamshell my MacBook Air and put the CPU under the desk where I have build for it, it`s very own iso booth. It is then silent. Oh the fan is whirling away - it`s just that it`s been surrounded (small) custom bass traps and foam.

Problem solved.
Cdlt
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melgueil ➡️
I clamshell my MacBook Air and put the CPU under the desk where I have build for it, it`s very own iso booth. It is then silent. Oh the fan is whirling away - it`s just that it`s been surrounded (small) custom bass traps and foam.

Problem solved.
Cdlt
Hey, thanks for the response, but it seems like you think my mic is picking up noise from my laptop. However, the noise shows up in my speakers and headphones whether I have the microphone on or not. I wanna say it's a sound card issue but I'm not 100% sure.
📝 Reply