Quantcast
new interface for new computer? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new interface for new computer?
Old 9th September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
new interface for new computer?

My first post here. I'm building a completely new computer for the first time. All my previous machines have been used/older boxes. And I've been using a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 PCI card for my audio and MIDI I/O, but I'm thinking of getting something newer for my new computer. I'm open to suggestions on what to get.

The one thing I don't like about the M-Audio PCI card is that it doesn't provide a headphone output. So I always need to connect it to a mixer that has a headphone out to get my headphones connected. So whatever I get, I'll need someway to connect the headphones. A separate headphone volume control isn't needed because my headphones have a volume control on them.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
What budget? Do you have firewire on your computer?
Old 9th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjji ➑️
What budget? Do you have firewire on your computer?
Low budget. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be getting any RME interfaces.

My computer does not have firewire, but it does have native integrated USB 3.0 due to the Panther Point chipset and Ivy Bridge CPU.

Internally, the computer has PCI, PCIe x1, PCIe x4, and PCIe x16.

I was hoping there would be external USB 3.0 interfaces available by now, but I cannot find any.

The E-MU 0404 PCIe would suit my needs except that I'd still need a mixer or some way to connect my headphones.
Old 9th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
A PreSonus Audiobox or something from Focusrite will be good, how many inputs do you need?
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
A PreSonus Audiobox or something from Focusrite will be good, how many inputs do you need?
Thanks. I only need one set of analog audio inputs (L/R).

What's the difference between the PreSonus Audiobox USB and the PreSonus Audiobox 22VSL?

I'm not finding anything with MIDI I/O from Focusrite. I suppose I could get a separate MIDI interface, but I've always thought I need an all-in-one MIDI and audio interface with ASIO for everything to work as it should. But I don't really understand how it all works.

I think I'd prefer an internal interface. What I'm looking for is a more elegant way to connect my headphones than using a mixer, but I may not find it.

I'm probably going to use desktop powered speakers which have their own volume control, and my headphones which have their own volume control. But I need a way to connect both. I'm thinking about just plugging my headphones into the headphone out jack on the powered speakers, but I'm concerned that the quality of the headphone out in the powered speakers would not be so great.
Old 10th September 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by svoden455 ➑️
Low budget. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be getting any RME interfaces.
What is the budget?
Old 11th September 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
The VSL is the new generation one. I think it has some software thing, I am not sure though. Honestly, you can't go wrong with it.
Old 11th September 2012 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
The VSL is the new generation one. I think it has some software thing, I am not sure though. Honestly, you can't go wrong with it.
Thanks. It says on the website there are drivers for XP SP3 32bit which is what I'm using (until I upgrade to Windows 8), so as long as the ASIO drivers are good, then this could be a consideration.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
What is the budget?
Like I said, low. The Audiobox 22VSL is about at the limit of my budget - I don't see myself going over that for a total solution of interface + a way to get my headphones connected.

Would using an external USB 2.0 interface, like the Audiobox 22VSL, be an improvement over using my Audiophile 24/96 PCI interface plus a cheap Behringer mixer?
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Focusrite is a good solution IMO.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
Focusrite is a good solution IMO.
What interface? I don't find any with MIDI I/O.

I need to figure out the best way, on a low budget, to connect the following to my computer:
1 MIDI Keyboard (MIDI I/O + L/R audio out from keyboard)
1 set of headphones
1 set of powered speakers

My computer is running Windows XP SP3 32 bit and DAW software that requires ASIO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Like I said, low. The Audiobox 22VSL is about at the limit of my budget - I don't see myself going over that
So $200 is your budget?
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by skira ➑️
So $200 is your budget?
To be perfectly honest, I haven't really thought about the budget. I'm just trying to figure out what my options are at the low end of the spectrum.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This one is about $200 and has midi I/O but it will only go up to 48KHz.

Specifications | Focusrite

This one will go up to 96KHz

http://global.focusrite.com/usb-audi...-specification
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3d ➑️
This one is about $200 and has midi I/O

Specifications | Focusrite
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that one. Seems nice, except it's only USB 1.1. I don't understand why nobody is making USB 3.0 devices.

I think I need to learn the difference between instrument inputs and line inputs. I'm reading the manual for the AudioBox 22VSL and 44VSL, and only the 44VSL has line inputs. Apparently only line inputs are appropriate for use with a synth.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Thanks. At least this one is USB 2.0. Why no USB 3.0 ???
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
USB2 bandwidth is good enough for I/O count. No need for USB3.
Old 11th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think I need to learn the difference between instrument inputs and line inputs.

Instrument inputs are hi impedance inputs. You can connect guitars and basses without the need for a DI. Most audio interfaces that have these you can commute them to line inputs. Those are to be used for synths and other gear. Most synths have non balanced outputs. You should set the audio interface input sensitivity to -10 dBv opposed to most pro audio gear that has balanced outputs. In that case you switch to +4 dBu.
πŸ“ Reply