Quantcast
How to know real USB consumption? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to know real USB consumption?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How to know real USB consumption?

I was "dumb" enough to buy two synths using Steinbergs eLicenser, I was running them happily on my laptop with the software licenser, but back at studio I realized I needed an USB dongle to be able to run them on multiple machines, had no idea when purchasing..

I already have quite a few peripherals on my MacbookPro

USB port one with a passive hub:
- iLok
- Mighty Mouse
- Akai LPK25

USB port two:
- Apogee One

All of the above run happily together..

I now bought the eLicenser and connected it to the hub with iLok etc, and the whole hub went dead. I managed to get them all running by disconnecting and re-connecting, but the devices seem to go off in a random manner when eLicenser is connected.

I'm guessing eLicenser consumes enough that the first port now adds up to more than it can handle.

I opened up Mac system profiler and looked up the USB and if I could find how much they need power, but I'm not sure how to read the figures. Is there and app or reliable way of knowing how much power is available per port, realtime monitoring perhaps?

I'm trying to calculate the figures given in the system profiler and they seem to be within 500mA, but they're still dropping the devices. I'd like to know for sure before I move my licenses to the USB key, since it reads they cannot be moved back anymore.
📝 Reply