Will bus power always be dirty? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will bus power always be dirty?
Old 8th September 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Will bus power always be dirty?

Howdy.
I've been keeping my eye out for the "perfect" bus-powered interface, simply because I love the simplicity of not needing to plug more things in.
I know, it's not that big of a deal. But I've been very mobile and now that I'm working on a Macbook Air (and have no firewire) my options are much more limited. In fact, no interfaces exist that have the channel count I want in a bus-powered unit. Well, the NI Komplete Audio 6 does... But that's literally the only one, and its pres don't have a lot of gain.
Anyway, the thing is, I really want clean, quiet pres because I often work with quiet source material.
I'm starting to think, after reading some info online, that I should give up on these bus-powered interfaces if I want clean and quiet because of how dirty (i.e. noisy) bus power is.
What do you think- will this always be the case? Is it inherent to the nature of bus power? Will the same be true of thunderbolt interfaces when they come out?
📝 Reply