The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pitch to MIDI
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Pitch to MIDI

Does anyone know of any good pitch to MIDI devices - I'm looking to convert a signal from an electric 'cello to MIDI to control soft synths.

I've come across this company: sonuus - Music Products Designed in the UK

Has anyone used their stuff? Or are there others I could use. Software recommendations are also welcome.

Thanks.
Old 1st September 2012

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
mmm interesting
try in the Electronic Music and Production forum below as well?

I use a Moon Modular 552, it works fine.
I also know Doepfer is going to release a module for this purpose.
You'd have to buy an enclosure, and powersupply for those modules. not a huge problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-k8bLzdBUo
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the reply Reptil. The Moon Modular 552 is an interesting bit of kit but wouldn't work with my cello unfortunately as the cello is not voltage controlled. It did seem to track some really fast notes very effectively in the video though.

I'm looking for something that could track pitch and amplitude from a conventional audio signal. (I could then route the amplitude tracking to filter or LFO speed etc.)
Old 1st September 2012

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Ah but the Cello doesn't have to be voltage controlled itself.
what's the output of the Cello? just audio?
you'll then need a "pitch follower" (frequency to CV converter) as well.
Analogue Systems RS-35 module
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA-3wEiNhWc
That Sonuus thing you posted may actually be the best (cost effective, practical) solution.
I've also found this software plugin. I don't have any experience with it.
Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst Pro - Real Time Spectrum Analyzer and Audio to MIDI AU, RTAS, DX and VST Plug-in
MAX-MSP can also do this, it's available as plugin suite for Ableton live sequencers.
https://maxingmsp.wordpress.com/
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Many DAWs and notation programs (Finale, etc) have this capability built-in these days. A hardware solution only makes sense to me if you're going to play live.
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the ideas - the Blue Cat VST looks worth checking out. I am thinking of using it live, but I send my 'cello through a laptop running NI Kore first for a bit of processing so if there is tracking software that can do the job without crippling latency then it's worth considering as I already find I've got far too much gear to port around everywhere.
Old 1st September 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Max/MSP can do this easily if you want to get into it.
Old 2nd September 2012

🎧 10 years
that sonuus looks cool

melodyne can convert audio to midi
there are shareware progs, can recall the names
Old 2nd September 2012

🎧 10 years
I've had the G2M v2 for about six months, had to take some time getting used to it, but it does work pretty well. A lot will depend on how low you can get your latency--on my mac, I can get the buffer down to 64 on some of the synths and the unit tracks very well.

The B2M or the usb unit would be what you'd want with a cello--Sonuus says the G2M cuts off at bass guitar A, which I found to be pretty accurate. They have a support forum on Sonuus' site, they're quick to help out.
Old 29th November 2013

🎧 5 years
Pitch to MIDI

Can any of the devices/software mentioned in this thread 'pitch follow' fast enough a human voice singing to control midi sampled or synth generated instruments?

If so, which would be the fastest and/or highest 'velocity' or dynamic resolution headroom as well as interpreting pitch bends and vibrato?
Old 6th December 2013

🎧 5 years
Can Pitch to Midi devices track a Vocalist singing through a microphone??

Can any of the devices/software available to 'pitch follow' to Midi do so FAST ENOUGH to track a human voice singing (in tune) to control midi sampled or synth generated instruments?

If so, which would be the fastest and/or highest 'velocity', 'transients' and/or dynamic velocity resolution 'headroom' as well as interpreting pitch bends and vibrato?

If this isn't the right subject category, any assistance to get this posted to the right one would be appreciated.
Old 6th December 2013
Lives for gear

9 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Real time or from a recorded track?

I just use Melodyne. Best I've found.
Old 6th December 2013

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Cubase does this.

Cheers
Old 11th March 2015
Yug

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I use the G2M Sonus with my eCello and it works upto a point. You have to play quite percussively but smoothly if you don't want it to glitch too much. I tend to get many octave errors playing low down on the C string. Plucking tends to be ok though. However, the Sonus with cello is only good enough for mucking around as it isn't sufficiently reliable for performance.
Old 12th March 2015

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
The Fishman Triple Play is supposed to be the fastest guitar to midi device on the planet. Maybe you could modify the pickup to fit a cello? I have a Roland GR55 but i'm not impressed with the speed on low notes. I'm thinking of trying a Fishman - but cello is a different beast.

There a people who make custom divided pickups - Ubertar for example - and you might be able to get a quad pickup made to order. Then you could run a Sonuus on each string, and possibly gate and eq each string to avoid unwanted notes. Shouldn't you be using a B2M on a Cello? I figure the one for bass should be better?

Not sure if you can wire a custom divided pickup into a Fishman - that might be the ultimate if you can.
Old 12th March 2015 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelCitizen ➑️

Can any of the devices/software available to 'pitch follow' to Midi do so FAST ENOUGH to track a human voice singing (in tune) to control midi sampled or synth generated instruments?

If so, which would be the fastest and/or highest 'velocity', 'transients' and/or dynamic velocity resolution 'headroom' as well as interpreting pitch bends and vibrato?

If this isn't the right subject category, any assistance to get this posted to the right one would be appreciated.
Yeah - the Sonuus products can do this. It's no harder than tracking a guitar, although pitch stability of the vocal might be a problem for some. The Sonuus can quantise to chromatic notes which is handy.

You might possibly get better results simply by distorting your vocal and the applying filters and pitch shifting, FX etc. I've had quite useable results using a Line6 Pod HD. They have Mic inputs, and they also have several synth models that turn incoming audio into oscillator tones. They have plenty of filters and FX, but you might consider just using something like a guitar synth pedal or the various digital multiFX units that do this, to create a raw oscillator tone, and then process that with good analog filters - eg Mooger Fooger stuff.

Moog have a FreqBox that is an oscillator that can be hard syncd to an incoming audio signal. In theory, that could turn a vocal into a pitched oscillator tone. All the utube clips sound like shit, because guitar players think they are for playing blues licks thru them ... but basically, if you can get a simple raw oscillator tone that is very raspy, you just filter that down. That's how subtractive synths work. So it's on my list of devices I want to try one day.

I think the Pigtronix Mothership is another interesting box that might be applied to vocals but I haven't been able to try one yet.
Old 12th March 2015
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
If you don't mind using software you could try "Midi Guitar" from Jam Origin. It's fast and polyphonic but yeah obviously made for guitar, but you could try it out with your cello and see what happens.

Edit: They seem to have a "Midi Violin" on the way.. (http://jamorigin.com/products/midi-violin/)
πŸ“ Reply