The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
iMac or MacBook Pro for my situation?
Old 5th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
iMac or MacBook Pro for my situation?

Hey guys, I'll make this quick and simple.

My studio consists of an MPC5000, Akai MPK49, KRK monitors, Focusrite Saffire Pro14 and this old ass Asus Laptop that makes me want to throw up every time I use it.

I am looking at either a MacBook Pro and connecting it to an external monitor or a 27" iMac. I connect my interface by firewire.

What I want to know is if there are any direct benefits of going the 27" imac opposed to the MacBook Pro? Keeping in mind the MacBook Pro will be connected to a 27" monitor when it's in my studio (I'll buy one the same time I buy the MacBook Pro).

The main factor making me want to go the MacBook Pro opposed to the iMac is that I'm in a job situation fortunate enough that allows me time to pull out a laptop towards the end of my shift and work on whatever I want for a few hours.

I just don't want to buy the MacBook Pro and then a few weeks later find out about some crazy music production secret only accessible with an iMac...
Old 5th August 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I would say opt for the macbook pro given the flexibility of it and the fact you can carry it around. but do yourself a favour a only purchase the model down from the brand new macbook as the new model (for what ever stupid reason Apple made it) is without a CD rom drive, a firewire input, and an ethernet port. so i would say go for for the 15in i7 mac book.
Old 5th August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
I have the last released 17 inch MacBook Pro and love the power it has with the benefit of portability. I use mine with 4 external screens (USB) UAD & Powercore plug ins and have extended firewire with an Express card. There is not much you can't do. Good luck!
Old 6th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Wow... You use yours with 4 external screens and it handles it? That's insane. I was thinking, at the end of the day with today's specs, the iMac, really, is just a MacBook Pro with a dedicated 27" screen.

P.s. to Crazyeyes; you're 100% right, the Retina display MacBook Pro is far from worth it. As you said; no ethernet, no firewire, no CD ROM and to top things off, RAM that is soldered to the motherboard!

I think I'm gonna go the MacBook Pro and just get HQ external displays... If anyone begs to differ, by all means put your opinion forward

joe.EMPIRE
Old 7th August 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Wow that I did not know about the ram soldered in. That's just another reason to get the earlier MacBook pro rather then the new release. Terrible terrible release by Mac.
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Retina MacBookPro is much quieter than the non-Retina model. Something to think about if you'll be pushing the fans to the limit with plugins. And the Firewire adapter is $29, not a big deal.
Old 7th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just letting you guys know I got the MacBook Pro this morning and it's amazing (the higher range 15). I am very happy I went the MacBook Pro over the iMac - the dedication to the 27" screen is a big ask. I am about to get a 27" LCD LED and keyboard, and just like that I have that mobility that I wouldn't have otherwise had.

P.S. Jeff D, I know people keep talking about the sound aspect of the Retina display but I just don't get it. This laptop can literally barely be heard, and when you're producing, I highly doubt the tiny little hum you can hear if you focus as hard as you can will make the world of a difference.
Old 7th August 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Get a 40" TV LCD like Sony or Samsung. Working at 1080p is really comfortable. Believe me. Just take your MBP to a store and try it.
Old 7th August 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I have the 17in i7 with the express card slot. I currently dont use the slot, but i run my i/o to the USB, external HD to FW, monitor to mini display, controller to USB, and then i still have one free USB slot, usually taken by my iLok, and i dont have an express card, but if i did, i could have 2 more FW800 slots.

I just have a 20in HP monitor i got for like $90 at best buy for my 2nd monitor, when in PT i just like to have one screen for the edit window and one for the mix window.
πŸ“ Reply