Quantcast
Thinking a Mac Mini?? Need Help!!! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Thinking a Mac Mini?? Need Help!!!
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Thinking a Mac Mini?? Need Help!!!

Theres a computer store around me that has a Mac Mini for sale for a really good price. Im currently using a older MacBook and looking for a computer to just keep at the studio. Here are the specifics

Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz processor
1GB of 667MHz RAM
120GB Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Intel GMA950 Video Card
Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

now im running Pro Tools Mpowered 8 and im mainly gonna be doing vocal recordings ... is this enough to run this? If not what would i have to do to make this usable considering the price is great!

Thanks In Advance!
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What kind of price is it here in the US? I have my 2009 dual core Mac Mini with 8gb of ram for sale for about $400 (dual boot too with win7 64 bit as well as Snow Leopard) and that works fine for recording.
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
its up for $300 ..
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Might run it but you'll soon max it out depending on what you're doing. A Mac Mini Server is a better choice if you can afford it.

Edit- Check refurbished ones. Try to get one with an I5 CPU
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
if i was to pick up this one and up the ram and what not will it be useful? or is it not even worth it
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wouldn't but it's your money...
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
yea man i dont know much about computer specs and what not it confuses me lol how about the specs of the one thenoodle posted above?
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
i also have a buddy who has a windows computer he built thats fully tricked out to the max that he will give me a good price on but im a little iffy with windows i dont know why i guess its cause ive had my mac so long.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How about this one?. Just cram some memory there and get an external drive and you're working.

Refurbished Mac mini 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

iMacs and and Mac minis are supposed to be refreshed in September. That means used Mac prices will drop. Why don't you wait out?
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
yea might be worth the wait .. thanks man
Old 25th July 2012
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Ok so i talked to my buddy about the computer he has and got all the specs id like to get some opinions on this.

He built the computer himself its Dual Core , 6 GB ram , 3 HD (1 - 250gb , 2 - 500gb) , 2.7 ghz and hes got Windows 7 ultimate on it , 64 bit

now ill definitely be running Pro Tools 8 on this for vocals (i dont deal with to many tracks) and ill probably put FL studios on it and some plug ins for both.

Tryin to decide wether to go with this or shovel out the money for a mac (which can take some time) .. i feel like anything is a upgrade from what im using now im just stuck

Please help! Thanks
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For PC specs you should check Avid's web page. Not everything is supported by Pro Tools. You should start from there. Although if I were you I would wait for the new Mac's releases since you're used to working in Mac OS X.
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieC ➑️
Theres a computer store around me that has a Mac Mini for sale for a really good price. Im currently using a older MacBook and looking for a computer to just keep at the studio. Here are the specifics

Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz processor
1GB of 667MHz RAM
120GB Hard Drive
DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
Intel GMA950 Video Card
Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard

now im running Pro Tools Mpowered 8 and im mainly gonna be doing vocal recordings ... is this enough to run this? If not what would i have to do to make this usable considering the price is great!

Thanks In Advance!
This is a terrible computer. It's specs we're impressive in 04..... Maybe. I have a Mac pro with 8 cores and 8gb ram with 4tb of storage and when I start adding lots of uad plugins it bogs a bit. And it's specs are much much higher. I'd look for a 3ghz duo iMac 24". They go for 800 dollars and should work nicely for you. Don't forget you have that 24" screen. It's great for viewing your arrange window! If you stick with waves native plugins, you'll be golden. Run away from that mini. It's an older machine that was low end even when new. Good luck!!!
πŸ“ Reply