3 Votes - 1.26%
Other...
49 Votes - 20.59%
Voters: 238. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Next King of DAW....?

Is there a new King on the block in the DAW world?
We have known from many that "Protools" is the 'industry standard', 'Logic and Cubase being great for midi' etc....
Recent speculation and buzz around such as "Protools is going to lose it's Prosumer base", "Logic may be dropped by Apple", etc has me wondering if there is room in the next 12 months for a new industry leading Company to take the cake...I am running a simple poll for this reason and would appreciate any feedback as well. Let's not get into a war on this please, but constructive would be appreciated.
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Other- 2" tape

I vote for 2" tape or adats- i have both
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I live in LA and know many people who work in studios, own studios, and make music. None of the Pro Tools users I know have any plans to leave it.

The one and only successful composer I know who is primarily a Nuendo user also uses Logic and Pro Tools.

All Avid did was sell M-Audio. They bought it a few years ago and nothing really changed except that the baby ProTools would run on it, now they've sold M-Audio and I suspect nothing will change because ProTools will run on almost any hardware.

M-Audio will remain what it has always been - good hardware for a good price which is ideal for amateurs or anyone on a tight budget.

~Jay
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Sony "Recording Revolution" for PS3
Old 11th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M ➑️

M-Audio will remain what it has always been - good hardware for a good price which is ideal for amateurs or anyone on a tight budget.

~Jay
Interesting comment on M-Audio.. I actually do know, in LA, of a few professionals who use M-Audio as well.... and is the composer you mentioned by any chance Hans Zimmer? he uses Cubase I believe... so curious to know where this poll would go....
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I seriously doubt it. HZ is all about Cubase.
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
You missed Bitwig, I think a lot of people may have voted for that. They would be guessing, but still.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Haarp ➑️
You missed Bitwig, I think a lot of people may have voted for that. They would be guessing, but still.
I guess the few that have access to the restricted beta test are the only ones with any kind of qualifications to say yes or no about Bitwig as the future king of DAWs.

Frankly speaking, this kind of poll is close to worthless as the fanboys will vote for their personal investment in a specific DAW so it will just go down as another poll with PT/Logic/Cubase/Reason/Live and some leftovers with about the same percentage as before.
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I dont get this "cuz Pro Tools is dumping M-Audio, they are losing their foothold in the DAW world".

Everyone I know on Pro Tools has an mbox, those who are on m-audio interfaces are like uber beginners that haven't learned that m-audio converters suck (except 610 and 2626...which are in the mbox price range :P).

If anything, Pro Tools will have to come out with an LE or SE version again that is highly limited but doesn't need any hardware compatible device. If it doesn't, then yes, the newest generation of DAW enthusiasts will not jump on Pro Tools.

That being said, Bob Owsinki's latest poll out FL Studio as the 2nd highest used DAW....crazy.
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Lots of schoolkids using things like FL versus fewer Pros using HD systems.

So I guess I need to do a +1 for the guy who said how meaningless polls like this are.

Suspect the OP is into baseball statistics.
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Not Hans Zimmer, but my friend does have a nice house, a nice car, and makes a good living. That's rare for most of my musician friends, so I'd call that very successful.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't Hans Zimmer have an enormous Pro Tools rig as well as the Cubase stuff? I think he prefers to compose on Cubase, but needs Pro Tools to work with the rest of Hollywood. I seem to remember seeing a video tour of his studio. I can't find it now, but there are many others to see.

~Jay
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I couldn't find the video, but here's a good article from Mix.

Hans Zimmer-Teamwork Helps Create Scoring Magic

Even though he's been the Cubase guy for decades, he still owns about $100,000 worth of ProTools gear.

I would love to work in his studio!

~Jay
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hoping this wont be a 'daw' bashing type thread...

Qns: With PT, are they letting go of PT regular version working with other AD/DAs and focussing on more post production/FilmTV stuff? it makes sense to me they do that though as there is more money to be made in hardware...

Logic - $199 on Apple for one of the best softwares and it has had no updates for a while....

Cubase - need to really step up on the Mac platform (as opposed to PC)..
Old 11th July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I am not a fan at all, but if any of this is true, Cubase is the clear contender for next up, unless Roland fixes all the Sx1 nonsense and goes cross platform.

MOTU has an opportunity here, especially if they go to Windows, but I don't think they have the record to insert themselves into the mass market like PT/Logic have done.

My favorite is Reason, and if NI gets on board with their RE plugin format, it has a serious chance, but I think pro users find it too colorful. They think it's not a "serious" tool. And Cubase is boring enough to please most people like this - plus it has a very good legacy.

I still think ProTools will be the pro tool, but in other parts of the world, Nuendo is king, so they're not any sort of a joke.

The others don't belong in a pro studio at all (FL? Live? StudioOne? ok, maybe s1, but right now it's at the maturity level of Reaper. Might as well put Reaper on the list, at that point... It would be king MUCH FASTER THAN FL!)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 ➑️
Hoping this wont be a 'daw' bashing type thread...

Qns: With PT, are they letting go of PT regular version working with other AD/DAs and focussing on more post production/FilmTV stuff? it makes sense to me they do that though as there is more money to be made in hardware...

Logic - $199 on Apple for one of the best softwares and it has had no updates for a while....

Cubase - need to really step up on the Mac platform (as opposed to PC)..
I haven't heard anything about Avid selling any part of ProTools. I think some pros like to be able to edit on their laptops using Protools native, then they finish the job in a real studio on the real ProTools.

I think Avid see that's all the other native apps are gaining ability and popularity, so they needed to make ProTools native.

Money isn't that big of an issue in a major studio. Nuendo + a professional control surface and lots of I/O costs about as much as ProTools Icon system.

For a home studio, Protools is a third the price of Nuendo and tripple the price of Logic. But overall the price of the DAW itself is a small percentage of the stuff you need such as: Monitors, computer, mics, Mic Pres, Waves, other plugins, Virtual instruments, keyboard, cables, mic stands, acoustic treatment... etc.

So it comes to preference, not money... unless you are dirt poor, then it's Reaper evaluation license all the way! Pay the $50 when you finally sell 10 copies of your album.

In the pro world I don't see Pro Tools going anywhere. I do see a new market for Reaper recording live events. I always see Reaper attached to Digico consoles.

~Jay
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️

Frankly speaking, this kind of poll is close to worthless as the fanboys will vote for their personal investment in a specific DAW so it will just go down as another poll with PT/Logic/Cubase/Reason/Live and some leftovers with about the same percentage as before.
I agree that folks with current usage may vote, but doesn't that mean it's a reflection of what is used most (ie. what is purchased most, what people are used to), which really reflects where the manufacturer is placed for the future? I am also noticing a pattern here.. obviously no kids are on this forum? Lol.. as so many kids are using FL Studio as well and making cool music.
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting stats out of the small amout of folks so far.... Would love to hear
Are Cubase and Logic folks sitting around at home on GS whilst PT folks are too busy for this as they are working? lol....
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Are Cubase and Logic folks sitting around at home on GS whilst PT folks are too busy for this as they are working? lol....
I'm sure one could make very deep conclusions based on 57 votes.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Think about it.....

Cubase is a compositional/production/recording tool unlike Protools which is more oriented with straight recording.

I don't know too many writers/producers who go to a studio and compose a song on a big mixing desk. Most seem to have their own places in their own comfortable environments.

So yes, I can see Cubase and Logic users on the internet including Gearslutz more than PT users.

Honestly I don't like comparing PT to the other DAWS. Midi was an afterthought and they have been playing catch-up for the past 15 years. It is a different tool for a different task even though the certainly overlap.
Old 11th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Well Sonar X1 Producer has the new Pro Channel that really adds a lot to the sound quality of my recordings. After working with it and hearing it, I'd hate to be without it.
Old 12th July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud ➑️
Think about it.....

I don't know too many writers/producers who go to a studio and compose a song on a big mixing desk. Most seem to have their own places in their own comfortable environments.
So, considering technology is now in our finger tips, and based on that comment alone, wouldn't it not make sense that Cubase and Logic are used more widely, therefore, leading to a lesser competitive edge from PT? Considering technology is in our fingertips now, isnt' the difference in result from a home studio to a pro-studio very small if the person knows what they are doing?... and if they know what they are doing, why would they spend 1000's of dollars on DAWs?

I would have thought their aquisition of M-Audio in the first place was to let M-Audio compete with folks like Cubase and Logic, but it never happened as Cubase and Logic were yielding better results, so letting go of a consumer product line tells me that they are looking at going more highend even?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksandvik ➑️
I'm sure one could make very deep conclusions based on 57 votes.
Hey... any way we can bring some positivity into your comments?
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I wonder how many of the "other" votes were thinking of Reaper when they voted.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiK ➑️
Completely agree. My bad for not having it in there!!!!! Sorry!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey... any way we can bring some positivity into your comments?
Make a survey based on the next 10 big features future DAWs require for staying in the market. Depending on the number of votes it might even impact current and future DAW plans.

PS: OK, better do than talk, https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elect...ml#post8059528
Old 12th July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If you're talking mostly audio ( just a little MIDI ) -- basically a 2" audio philosophy, Reaper is hands down the most stable and I have owned/used/contract programmed for professionally most if not all in the poll.

It just doesn't act up -- the only thing that ever bothers it is a bad VST, but that same bad VST will bother most other DAWS too.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Here's one.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Completely agree. My bad for not having it in there!!!!! Sorry!
You should create a new poll. Reaper is a must in that list.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is the CURRENT "king" DAW? What criteria determines who's king? If it is based on usage in professional facilities and by professional audio engineers, you'd have to say Pro Tools right now. Assuming that, what would cause PT to lose its crown? A massive industry shift would need to happen both in terms of the facilities and the people working at those facilities. They would have to feel that the next king offered them not only everything that PT offered, but something so much more that it would be worth the time, effort, and resources to switch their loyalty to the new king. Frankly, there isn't a DAW available currently that can offer that IMO.

Now, Cubase is used by many professional composers and Logic is used by many producers for pre-production (as is FL Studio in hip hop circles). So if that is the criteria, then the king changes. If it is for live performance production, then Ableton would be the king. If you're looking for one king to rule them all, well, there isn't one...yet.
Old 12th July 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why must there be a king?? This isn't Camelot lol
πŸ“ Reply