MIDI questions for BFD - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
MIDI questions for BFD
Old 12th June 2006
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
MIDI questions for BFD

Hello,

Complete Midi newbie here. I have programmed drums once or twice with logic. Just got into a copy of BFD Lite for PT 7 and I'm wondering what do I need to do to program drums correctly? I can play a decent kick/snare part with my keyboard but what do I need to actually program drums? Does anyone know of a BFD has an option like Logic's drum programs where you can click the part in opposed to playing it? Anyone know of a BFD tutorial?

One more question. Whats the deal with the flange sound on the drums? They sound great through the monitors when tracking but upon playback their are flangy and off. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi ,

You program BFD in the same manner as any other instrument.

So you can play the notes in via keyboard or external drum trigger or indeed with the mouse using the pencil tool in PT.

If you are getting flanging then it sounds like something is also playing from the groove librarian.

Check that respond to groove notes is switched of in the options panel.

Here is a little animated walkthrough to help

http://www.fxpansion1.com/fxstore/bfdguide.html

There is also a demo video on our website here :

http://fxpansion.com/product-bfd-main.php

Scroll to the bottom of the page 'BFD tutorial'

Hope this helps.

Thanks

GFX

FXpansion Audio UK Ltd.
Old 17th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Is BFD Universal Binary yet?

Hi GFX,

Has BFD been update to Universal Binary yet? So it can run un the new Intel Macs? I am thinking of buying BFD but I am also thinking of buying a Macbook because of the increase processing power which I am sure will help in running BFD.

Thanks
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hi ,

Yes we have a unibin version available.

Cheers

GFX

FXpansion Audio UK Ltd
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
BFD!!!! man i programmed like 10 tunes using BFD-all got scrapped on the actual cd...BASTARDS! haha they chose electronic drums over the BFD samples-PM me man if you still need help- i'm pretty well versed in that plug
Old 17th June 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
When using BFD I will generally play the kick and snare seperately, then add another midi track and play the hats, then another track and add cymbals etc. quantize to taste if needed after everytake. playing to me makes more sense because that way things don't sound to mechanical.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harsh
When using BFD I will generally play the kick and snare seperately, then add another midi track and play the hats, then another track and add cymbals etc. quantize to taste if needed after everytake. playing to me makes more sense because that way things don't sound to mechanical.
don't you track your bfd drums? i have a killer tutorial in a magazine..i'm looking around the studio for it...hmmmahh ha!! future music october 05- check out their website it might be up there-if not i'll scan it in for anyone interested

www.futuremusicmag.com
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
go to new posts and look for my song that I want reviewed....."Please Review(bfd etc.)

I played the song with this technique..... I've been looking for a used electronic kit so I can track the drums but all I have right now is a keyboard.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
right on man i used the roland v kit...td-20? i believe its been a while since i've been in that studio..anyways that module rocks at mapping over into bfd-you can't play it listening to the bfd samples-the latency is just a tadddd to late- i was using a pretty speedy comp too. anyways man good luck!
Old 19th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Speedy computer isn't the be-all and end-all, you also need to make sure you've got a good sound card with the buffer size set suitably small.. BFD will run at 1ms on a fast machine, but that will have a negative impact on your track and plugin count.. i.e. if you are running it on the same machine as a big DAW session with lots of audio tracks and native plug-ins, you won't be able to go as low.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Once the project is underway, soundcard latency isn't so much a problem ... plugin delay compensation is what spoils live input for me. In Cubase SX, this can be deactivated, but then the feel of rest of the arrangement sounds quite different.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I just make the drums first, and get them how I want them, so feel on other tracks is not an issue.
πŸ“ Reply