Quantcast
Skype Mic - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Skype Mic
Old 11th June 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Skype Mic

Looking for a decent mic for use with Skype. Now before you say "what's this noob stumbling in here looking for recommendations on a five dollar mic" I am looking to use Skype / iChat AV in a big way and want to make the most of the (mediocre) transmission quality of the audio. I'd like something that sits on my desk and is fairly compact, has exceptional voice pickup, is fairly directional (for effective pickup at the three - six foot range) and is isolated somewhat from my bangings on the keyboard.

My cheap & cheerful desktop soundcard is the RME Fireface so phantom power is available.

I don't want to go pointlessly overboard, but if a mic satisfies all of the above requirements I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Old 11th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelo
Looking for a decent mic for use with Skype. Now before you say "what's this noob stumbling in here looking for recommendations on a five dollar mic" I am looking to use Skype / iChat AV in a big way and want to make the most of the (mediocre) transmission quality of the audio. I'd like something that sits on my desk and is fairly compact, has exceptional voice pickup, is fairly directional (for effective pickup at the three - six foot range) and is isolated somewhat from my bangings on the keyboard.

My cheap & cheerful desktop soundcard is the RME Fireface so phantom power is available.

I don't want to go pointlessly overboard, but if a mic satisfies all of the above requirements I wouldn't mind spending a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
more important than mic choice in this situation, is STAND choice.
you want a good boom arm to get the mic close to your mouth.
not like headset close, but about 4-10 inches away.
also get a cardioid mic.
these two thing will maximize your voice:other stuff ratio. Key clicks, or worse, feedback if you are using speakers will be minimized.

I have been using skype to patch out to a production company in another city. They have beeen monitoring and providing direction on some VO sessions here.

I have a talkback mic for me, the output of a computer recording the talent, and a feed to and from a second computer all going into a small mixer and sending stuff where it needs to go w/ aux sends.

Skype gives you some weird echos @ times, but this rig saved me the $600 needed for a quality phone interface.

good luck
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks. Let me clarify the situation a bit. I'll be walking around the home office so some degree of all-round pickup is necessary but some muffling, etc is not an issue when I'm moving around... but the quality while sitting at my desk should be the max possible, which is why I asked for a slight directionality. I know roughly what sort of thing I should get but I'm looking for specific recommendations in terms of products be it stands or Mics. Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
cardioid=directional mic.
there are various widths of cardioid pattern. some are variable on the mic. most are part of the design process.

get a decent condenser and your cool.
I like audio technica 4033s. maybe $300
at work we use AKG c1000s maybe $200
or you can use a dynamic mic, like a shure sm58. about $100.

dynamics tend to have less "reach" and require more gain.

gain=noise in some circles.

but the tighter patterns on some dynamics are sometimes useful.

as for a stand; get a boom arm. atlas standsare expensive. onstage brand is cheaper.

you might want to get a pop screen as well. or at least a foam thing on the mic.

why not a headset? there are a lot of good ones.
stick w/ known brands: AKG, AT, SHURE, SENNHEISER and you'll be fine.
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Don't like wearing headsets while talking on video or audio. Just feels unnatural.
πŸ“ Reply