The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
BFD vrs. Deluxe BFD
Old 11th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
FANTASTIC INFO.

I tried doubling the snare and kick and WOW the big sound is there.
Where do I find this advance keymap to do the velocity settings?
See above post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer
I think its great that FX has given hints here, but to think that the product should ship with mixing tips, come on, thats for you to learn.

I love BFD and have dealt with the guys and they are champions. My programming is fooling a lot of people right now thanks to BFD.

I do agree about the Eldorado room being a little too recognisable and unflexable, but the deluxe room is tighter and can be slammed hard!!!
The Eldorado sound a bit 80s???when slammed.....but man its still amazing.

ROCK on FX!
Chymer
Are you that smart that you can recognize the drum room? Wow I am impressed. It's not like hearing Eric Clapton's guitar and saying, oh that's EC.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I think she means that the sonic signature is a bit more distinctive than those of other rooms.

I guess I can generally get the BFD room tracks to do 2 1/2 different tricks or so. Once you're in mix, BFD or not, you got what you got. The only way to assert real, ultimate power would be to jump in there and book another studio, move the kit, change the mics, move the mics, ad infinitum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymatt
I think she means that the sonic signature is a bit more distinctive than those of other rooms.

I guess I can generally get the BFD room tracks to do 2 1/2 different tricks or so. Once you're in mix, BFD or not, you got what you got. The only way to assert real, ultimate power would be to jump in there and book another studio, move the kit, change the mics, move the mics, ad infinitum.
I dont' know, with all the different drum sets and the ability to tune, damp and move the mic's, we have tons of flexibility already. I am at this point debating if I should get the Deluxe or XFL next.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I'm more or less inclined to agree with you. Deluxe is quite tempting.

Currently, though, I'm only using BFD for mock-ups and demos. Later this year, I'll be working on something that's a really big deal for me, and will probably not want to compromise on drums. Am I gonna wanna spend another $300 on drum samples?

Hey, anybody audio-to-scoring actual recorded tracks and using BFD for sample-laying or sound-replacing?
Old 12th June 2006 | Show parent
Quote:
I'm more or less inclined to agree with you. Deluxe is quite tempting.

Currently, though, I'm only using BFD for mock-ups and demos. Later this year, I'll be working on something that's a really big deal for me, and will probably not want to compromise on drums. Am I gonna wanna spend another $300 on drum samples?

Hey, anybody audio-to-scoring actual recorded tracks and using BFD for sample-laying or sound-replacing?
I know Alisha Keys uses the BFD's in her studio and they love them. Hence EQ's June article on her studio, "the oven".
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation
I know Alisha Keys uses the BFD's in her studio and they love them. Hence EQ's June article on her studio, "the oven".
Definitely wouldn't argue that absolutely professional results couldn't be coaxed from BFD. I skimmed that article. Seems the tools and the talent are there, indeed. Too bad I'm not familiar with her work. Big rock dork here, not much R&B knowledge.
Quote:
Definitely wouldn't argue that absolutely professional results couldn't be coaxed from BFD. I skimmed that article. Seems the tools and the talent are there, indeed. Too bad I'm not familiar with her work. Big rock dork here, not much R&B knowledge.
I think it's time you got to know different bands and artist outside of your style of music. I worked a several different music stores in my life, and it forced me to learn about many bands that I never knew about. When I met Eddie Murphy, he asked me for "the time". I thought he meant what time is it? Never knew there was a band called "The Time". Working at a music store helped me to appreciate classical music a lot more,. Learned more on other types of music which helped me think a little differently about my own music. The end result was my music had more of a 3 dimen. sound compared to what I wrote previously.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Eddie Murphy! He's great!

You're absolutely right, though. Right now I'm going through a modern rock phase. I hadn't listened to any of that stuff for about 10 years. In the meantime, I'd been listening to indie and electronic music. Making it too. Now I'm working hard to cop the rock and roll thing.

I'm one of those guys that could never get into country, hiphop, or r&b. There are plenty of exceptions in my collection, though. There are some styles I thought I'd never listen to, but then made friends with someone that did. That's the easiest way to assimilate new styles.
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx

For more realisitic rolls , again the keymap page assign a 2nd key to the snare and play the rolls from a keyboard

How do you assign a 2nd key to the snare? I wanted to replace the rimshot with a second regular snare hit, but BFD wasn't having it. This tip sounds cool, but I can't pull it off.
Old 13th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Methlab,

In the advanced key map page is a key 2 parameter assign this on the snare to the key you would like to use.

GFX

FXpansion Audio UK Ltd.
Old 14th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
worked perfectly..thanks!
Old 23rd November 2007 | Show parent
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
BFD2

What these guys have done is mindboggling superlative work in this industry. The vision, the kits, the drummers, the desk, the entire package is nothing short of astounding! Kudos Kudos Kudos!

~skyod~
πŸ“ Reply