Quantcast
Not really pro audio, but... - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Not really pro audio, but...
Old 5th June 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Not really pro audio, but...

Could someone tell me how to take itunes and quicktime off my g4 powermac? So far I trashed them and emptied the trash, which i've been told is all i need to do. Downloaded and tried to install itunes again but it simply comes up with the loading wheel and freezes?! Eh?
Need a foolproof way of blitzing the programs totally off my comp so i can reinstall from fresh, please!

Cheers
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Drag the application's icon to the Trash. Open the /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder and look for one or more preference files named "com.apple.iTunes....plist" and drag them to the Trash. Look in /Library/ folder for an iTunes folder and if you find one drag it to the Trash. Look in /Home/Library/ folder for an iTunes folder and drag it to the Trash. Last, in /Home/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ folder look for two files with names com.apple.nnnnnnn.plist and drag them to the Trash.

Open Activity Monitor (Utilities folder) and in the process list look for iTunesHelper. Select it, then click on Quit Process icon. Quit or Force Quit the process. Now open the Accounts preference pane, click on Login Items tab, look for the iTunesHelper entry and select it, then click the "-" button and remove it from the list.

Empty the Trash. This should fully remove iTunes and its associated files/folders.

If you are having problems with iTunes or other apps, you should first repair your hard drive and permissions.

http://www.macosx.com/content/faq.ph...-X-Tiger-.html

You'd think they could just include an uninstaller.
Old 5th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Thanks for help
did all that (including repaired disk and permissions) but to no avail. installed succesfully but when i go to fire it up it freezes again, activity monitor says it is 'hung' using over 100% of my CPU processing....

gonna mail apple, but heard customer care is poor.

Thx
Old 7th June 2006

🎧 15 years
have you got an mbox on your system, and if so do you have the correct version of coreaudio installed? If the answers are yes and no respectively then that may be your problem!
Old 7th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
No i have a PT TDM setup with the legacy interfaces, basically itunes worked fine before i got an ipod, tried to upgrade the software and then it decided to go mental and never work...
As i thought, got no answer from apple yet. Its also affected other software, after toast has finished burning it comes up with the mount or eject cd option but selecting either freezes toast, this wasn't a problem before the whole itunes malarky. Perhaps I should reboot my whole system and reinstall everything from scratch? reinstalling OSX will install itunes as well? What a bother!

Cheers
Old 8th June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
try doing a search on your hard drive with the keyword "itunes" that way you can find the not so obvious files hiding in the library and such. repeat with the keyword "quicktime" might help. although you might end up deleting important stuff.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…