Quantcast
using more that one user account in OSX - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
using more that one user account in OSX
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
using more that one user account in OSX

anyone using multiple user accounts in OSX-one for recording and one for other stuff? if you switch accounts to do recording do you log out of the other one? if not do you quit all apps in the an account before switching to the other one?

i used to use two accounts--one for recording and one for everything else. i am doing a clean install of OSX now so im starting with a clean slate and i'm consideriong whether to still do 2 accounts or just stick with one.

when using 2 accts i trimmed down all the user folders in the redording account including the user library in an attempt to have a leaner more stable system. i'm not sure if it made a difference.. still had problems once in a while but it could have been due to other things.. i'm interested in what others are doing and if you think it makes good sense to have multiple accounts.
Old 5th June 2006
Here for the gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
" tracking the big cats strikes again "

leaning up the OS does help especially killing startup stuff you dont need. It shaved off some ram usage and.... real quick starts is cool. The one thing I do not do though is the dual accounts.... I did once but decided against it the next time..... If you are logged into both accounts your normal OS is taking up twice the ram.... about 400 mb ........... so deffinitely log out and even restart to be safe....... The biggest problem even if your music account is the main Admin you will eventually have permission problems super inconvient, especially when installing soft synths plugs etc........ But leaning it up helps i had a dual 867 running pretty good by leaning it up..... I have a 1.67 powerbook now with one account internet mail everything.... but I leaned up some stuff.... and My DP does decent I had about 30 Wave plugs in a 24/44.1 session at 48 tracks off a firewire 800 and it did pretty well..... so I say no to the user accounts and save yourself a headache.
Old 5th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
i read that article a while ago but had forgotten about the advice aginst multiple accts. i think i had also read an article that recommended multiple accts. seems like it makes more sense to keep it simple and just have 1.
Old 8th September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Head

๐ŸŽง 10 years
I'm curious about this issue as well. Anyone know if you can have Pro Tools HD installed and functioning on multiple user accounts on a Mac Pro?

I'm trying to setup my system so that when I have a guest come in and engineer they use a separate login/password that gives them access to the machine, pro tools and the plugins but doesn't show them or give them access to certain drives in the computer, etc...

Is there a way to do this in Leopard so I can protect my personal project drives but still share my computer with people in confidence that they can't accidentally mess something up?
Old 8th September 2009
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I use multiple accounts for different people using my computers and I think it's a good idea. The only problems I've ever experienced were my UAD plugs not working in non-admin accounts until I gave those accounts admin privileges. Once that was set up, everything ran fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222 โžก๏ธ
if you switch accounts to do recording do you log out of the other one? if not do you quit all apps in the an account before switching to the other one?
Yes, you need to log out to switch users unless you're using "fast user switching". In that case, you can just leave one account running (along with any apps) while you log into any other user account(s). I don't use it (and I'm not sure how it works with software that accesses audio hardware), but you can turn it on/off in the System Preferences/Accounts/Login Options. Maybe give it a try while recording something and post your results here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222
i used to use two accounts--one for recording and one for everything else. i am doing a clean install of OSX now so im starting with a clean slate and i'm consideriong whether to still do 2 accounts or just stick with one.
A clean install sounds like a good idea. Remember, you can always add new user accounts whenever you want.

Also, when installing apps, I install them into the default "Applications" folder so they're available to all users - not to each individual user account. Sounds like too much trouble doing it that way... but, see what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha222
when using 2 accts i trimmed down all the user folders in the redording account including the user library in an attempt to have a leaner more stable system. i'm not sure if it made a difference.. still had problems once in a while but it could have been due to other things..
I would NOT go deleting things in the Library folder unless you knew EXACTLY what you were doing. That folder structure is there for a reason and could cause lots of problems if certain parts of it are missing. Especially for any applications that require certain files to be in your user Library.

Good luck!
Old 8th September 2009
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 10 years
We have multiple accounts on our computers at work, you mainly having to learn to work with setting permissions. The one thing I do to try and simplify things is create a "Recording" group and add all the engineers to it. Then I only need to add the recording group to the permissions on things shared. That leaves the owner alone, but still gives others the rights they need.

You have to check your Mac doc on how to create a Group since you do it differently in older versions of OSX versus new versions.
๐Ÿ“ Reply