Quantcast
Are the Quad (2 Dual Opternons) boards are Compatible with UAD or Powercore? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Are the Quad (2 Dual Opternons) boards are Compatible with UAD or Powercore?
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Are the Quad (2 Dual Opternons) boards are Compatible with UAD or Powercore?

I'm just about to order away for my Quad Motherboard for my new system. However, I would like to know if anyone has tried either of these with UAD-1 cards, Powercore, or any of the Convolution Reverb Cards. I know it does work with the Protools Cards for PC. If anyone knows, it would be a great help.

But I have to choose between the Tyan Tiger K8WE

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we_spec.html

and the Asus K8N-DL - http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...56&modelmenu=1

It will be a 2x Opteron Dual Core 265s with 4 gigs eec registered DDR-400 ram.

Thanks.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
im curious - how much are these running for?!?

so its what (2x1.8 ghz)x2

and knowing the opterons...they could easily overclock to 2.3 up to as high as 2.7
Old 3rd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dude, the nforce4 chipset is a big no-no

research it..it cant be reccomend as a hobbyist or pro audio chipset

it has many weaknesses....google up...
Old 4th June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7386
Here they recommend the Tyan 2885 (Thunder K8W),Tyan 2895 (Thunder K8WE)
and Supermicro H8DCE.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarRuss
I'm just about to order away for my Quad Motherboard for my new system. However, I would like to know if anyone has tried either of these with UAD-1 cards, Powercore, or any of the Convolution Reverb Cards. I know it does work with the Protools Cards for PC. If anyone knows, it would be a great help.

But I have to choose between the Tyan Tiger K8WE

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigerk8we_spec.html

and the Asus K8N-DL - http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...56&modelmenu=1

It will be a 2x Opteron Dual Core 265s with 4 gigs eec registered DDR-400 ram.

Thanks.

What DAW software are you going to use? So far there seems to be no PCI buss issues with the Tyan Tiger though we still have to test the UAD-1 and PoCo. If you are using PT then try this thread.

The Tyan Tiger with PT LE and PT HD are absolutely rock solid. Highly recommended.

Shane
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Re: Which Daw program

What DAW software are you going to use? So far there seems to be no PCI buss issues with the Tyan Tiger though we still have to test the UAD-1 and PoCo. If you are using PT then try this thread.

The Tyan Tiger with PT LE and PT HD are absolutely rock solid. Highly recommended.

Shane
I would like to use Cubase Sx3, although I haven't bought it yet. I have been waiting for the technology to catch up for the last few years. I never had the serious cash to spend on Protools HD. I have tried various systems (Cubase VST, Earlier Nuendo etc.) on friends computers but as soon as the track count and plugin count got too high... Well you know. I find that way of working - waiting for the crash and counting tracks, stuggling with latency, and such are irritating when I do music, so when I want to record a track I go to a real studio and spend the cash. Of course, I will still do this when I need to track drums, and a lot of other instruments. But for smaller projects (Acoustic Guitar, Dobro, and Bass for example), I can do a great job even on Cool Edit.

However, now with the dual processers and the possibility of 2x opteron, it seems the technology has caught up enough that for guys like me - spending $3000 on a new computer rig and a few more microphones is worth more than going to a bigger studio to track a few tunes.

Shane, I've read your posts from the DUC - Quadzilla thread
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...&fpart=21&vc=1
and that's what started me on this little quest. It sounds like your systems are ultra stable at least using Protools LE and HD.

I have about 5 unfinished tunes at my friends studio which uses Cubase Sx2, that are, I think, really wicked and just need some remixing, and time, so that was a factor in thinking of using Cubase SX as a DAW program. Also I've heard very good things about the program and it's way cheaper than Nuendo, which maybe I can upgrade to later when I have more money.

I've used Protools HD at studios I have paid for, but don't know that much about Protools LE - although it sounds like it has a lot going for it. I'm not ruling it out. I'm still waiting for word on those crazy stats from 3JDamon's system and the compatabity with other devices before taking the plunge.

I am really fussy about sound quality, and my ears are quite good, so I know the difference between a cheaper plug and an expensive one. When someone tries to put a less processer intensive compresser or reverb, it sounds terrible and I have almost an allergic reaction to it. Right now I'm getting a good sound using my AT 4033 and Shure Sm 57 into a Presonus BlueTubes preamp into an Audiophile 24/96 and using Cool Edit Limiter into Waves C4 into Rverb. If I'm able to upgrade my plugs to UAD and my program to Cubase or Protools I think I will be able to get a better sound. And of course a few more microphones and a sweet outboard compressor limiter will help too.

Shane, thanks for your work and sharing it with everyone.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nuendo Recommends

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter8
http://www.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=7386
Here they recommend the Tyan 2885 (Thunder K8W),Tyan 2895 (Thunder K8WE)
and Supermicro H8DCE.
Thanks for the info.

It eventually led to the answer to my question. YES!!! Tyan 2895 does support UAD-1 cards and a bunch of the senior Nuendo users with insane rigs have been running them for over 6 months! Check out this link. Look at the bottom of the post for each guy's rig. Some of them are running 3 UAD-1's and there is some talk of how to expand using some hardware solutions to have 4 and more.

http://forum.nuendo.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=10797

dude, the nforce4 chipset is a big no-no

research it..it cant be reccomend as a hobbyist or pro audio chipset

it has many weaknesses....google up...
I did google and after a while found out that both boards are nforce4 pro which doesn't have most of the problems associated with nforce4 chipset. That would explain why Shane and others are recording very large track counts and massive amounts of plugins without any problems.

Check the Nuendo link - they don't seem to be having any problems.

Also, is there is a release date soon for the AMD "4x4" that would be an option, but I don't want to wait too long. The big plus would be I could use my 2 gigs of unregistered DDR Ram that I have in my current machine. Save a few bucks, but unless I hear anything in the next few weeks, I'll have to pull the trigger and buy the Tyan board.

Thanks for the help.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I would like to use Cubase Sx3, although I haven't bought it yet. I have been waiting for the technology to catch up for the last few years....

Shane, thanks for your work and sharing it with everyone.
I think the local resident around here to talk to is Brian T when it comes to Steinberg and Quads. He knows his stuff very well in that department. Do a search and you will find many great posts from him. He has also done many tests such as myself but using Steinberg DAWs.

Shane
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Also, is there is a release date soon for the AMD "4x4" that would be an option, but I don't want to wait too long.
I have links to all that in my Quad thread. It will still be ahwile. AMD said they will 'show' them in June.

Quote:
The big plus would be I could use my 2 gigs of unregistered DDR Ram that I have in my current machine.
As you probably already know by reading my Quad thread, you will nead registered or the board wont even boot. But it looks like you can use a combination of registered and unregistered in that amazing Tyan Tiger board. We will be doing tests on this shortly. I will keep everyone informed on my quad thread regarding this.

Hope that helps.

Shane
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
More UAD-1 and nforce4 mobo info here:

http://www.chrismilne.com/uadforums/...pic.php?t=4266
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HI,

1) registered ram is required on the tyan 2885,2895 and SM boards.

2) 2 x UAD will work fine in either of the tyans NONE on the SM with 8131 tunnel.

afer 2 is gets a little funky.

powercores work fine in all 3.

they asus board is a joke, get the tyan 2895

Scott
ADK
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcschild
HI,

1) registered ram is required on the tyan 2885,2895 and SM boards.

2) 2 x UAD will work fine in either of the tyans NONE on the SM with 8131 tunnel.

afer 2 is gets a little funky.

powercores work fine in all 3.

they asus board is a joke, get the tyan 2895

Scott
ADK
Thanks jcschild,

Just been reading your posts in a few different sites, and you've been doing this quad thing for quite a while! Thanks for your advice. ]
]
The Tyan 2895 will be my choice then. A little more expensive, and a little harder to find - but more options. And thanks for answering the UAD-1 and Powercores questions - it was really keeping me from making my final decision.
πŸ“ Reply