Migration Tips: Pro Tools<--->Nuendo? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Migration Tips: Pro Tools<--->Nuendo?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Migration Tips: Pro Tools<--->Nuendo?

Hi!
I have owned Nuendo since ver 1.5, but only spent a very, very minimal amount of time with it. I have upgraded each time, but never found time to spend getting my head around it. Now that I am trying to do so, I am finding it is actually quite a different "headspace."

Does anyone know of tips n such for those of us wanting to learn the Nuendo workflow when coming from Pro Tools HD?

I imagine I will get a few responses saying to simply forget PT and begin to learn Nuendo from a blank slate, but I would really like to be able to use the two, and somehow find a way to migrate. I have quite a long list of things that are different enough, non-existent, or plain confusing. From simple things like which plugins I can look to for replacement of PT TDM only ones; Beat Detective replacements (I use it to extract MIDI grooves), etc, to more complicated things like dealing with the lack of a smart tool, playlists, etc.

Routing/bussing is my major sore spot. I have grown so accustomed to being able to route how and where I want. With Nuendo, it seems I have to do some major pre-planning, as there are no "Aux Ins" like PT, or freely assignable inputs and outputs, but rather Group Faders (channels?) or FX Channels, etc. I like to use subgrouping; I might want to send a subgroup to another Aux In with PT to apply processing. Or, I might "mult" a track, a subgroup (Aux In), etc. I like assigning the outs from, say, drums, to a subgroup, and then creating sends from some of the drums to a second subgroup, and then possibly use the sends on one (or both) of those subgroups to an Aux In with an effect on it. Or maybe I simply feel like using a send from an Aux In that has a delay on it to feed a small amount to a reverb on another Aux In track.

As you can see, it is quite a different approach. I see people like Brian T. (fellow ex-PARIS-ite!!!) and Michael W. using Nuendo for pro sessions, so that leads me to think it is capable of providing what I want, but it is simply my "Pro Tools TDM" soaked brain that is finding it so difficult to get around many of these habits I have developed over the years. Or, maybe they (and others) are simply using many hardware I/O's and outboard instead of "Doin it ITB." I guess it is like knowing English, and you encounted just enough people who speak other languages fluently to make you wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile to hone a second language you have a small grip on, and an "Idiot's Guide To..." book for heh

So, anyone who has made the leap from one to the other (or PT to Cubase, or vice versa!!!) that could offer bits of wisdom on how to improvise, overcome, adapt, it would be greatly appreciated! (I am actually thinking of adding a section to my website on this...gotta be more than just me dealing with this...)

(plus, I miss Instrument Tracks when going to Nuendo...never thought I would prefer PT for something like virtual instruments!)
📝 Reply