Quantcast
Saving Sessions in Protools missing fade files - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Saving Sessions in Protools missing fade files
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Saving Sessions in Protools missing fade files

I have a Protools LE 002 setup. I save and back up constently during a session. I have been going through cleaning up my hardrive space and backing up some sessions that I just completed. Here is where my question/problem is: Let's say song X's final mix is done and I want to save it to my back up Hardrive as well as save it to a DVD. Since I have a final mix/finished song, I want to delete all the previous versions that I have. When I go to put the previous versions in the trash and then try and open song X's final mix, it is missing Fade Files ect. and so it will not open properly unless the older versions of the song are on the hardrive. So it looks to me as if the final mix of song X needs these previous versions fade files to open. How do I remedy this? How can I avoid this problem in the future? Am I doing something wrong when I have been saving during the sessions? Can I combine the previous versions fade files into one folder? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Addict

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Just ask Pro Tools to recreate the Fade files in the dialog which tells you they're missing.

Rail
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Jon Rogut
Just ask Pro Tools to recreate the Fade files in the dialog which tells you they're missing.

Rail
Ya, I tried that....but it acted as if it still could not find some of the files. The other thing that I forgot to mention was that some of the audio files come up missing sometimes as well.
I'm just afraid that I'll put a song on a DVD, erase all the previous versions, and a year from now go to open up the version I saved on DVD and not be able to open it correctly because it's missing files.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Sounds to me like your having disk allocation problems. You need to check this everytime you open a session that has been moved or copied from another drive.

It should re-generate the fade files on it's own if you check the box.

re: the audio files, you'll have to find those and put them where they belong.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by KROK
Am I doing something wrong when I have been saving during the sessions? Can I combine the previous versions fade files into one folder? Any input would be greatly appreciated!
You're doing nothing wrong, but it's logical that this happens when you have shared audio/fade files, for saving different mixes of a song this is fine.

The only thing to watch out for is that you should not delete any audio from the regionlist for sessions that share audio or run 'compact'.

PT can recreate the fade files... what could be misleading is that the message which says, it can't find the fade files, stays in the Task Window. You can delete this task without any problem.
๐Ÿ“ Reply