Quantcast
tracking software recommendations - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tracking software recommendations
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
tracking software recommendations

I recently switched from pro tools to logic pro and could use fellow slutz help in finding a tracking software. the problem is that logic sucks for multitrack recording and audio editing. i am looking for a software that will have pro tools ease of use for audio tracking. i still plan on using logic for everything except for live tracking so midi and software instruments are not very important. here are my desires.

1)ease of editing+grouping.
2)ability to quantize/strip silence multiple tracks simultaneously like beat detective. (if this is not possible i will have to export tracks to beat quantizer on pc)
3)some very basic midi.
4)simple consolidation and export of the tracks for logic import.
5)audio unit compatibility would be nice.
6)easy setup/quick learning curve would be preferable. i spent a lot of time learning logic. pro tools was very easy to get fast on which was nice.
7)it has to support third party interfaces. i am using an rme fireface.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
Old 28th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
My 2 cents...

I'd say, try to stick with one DAW, flying back and forth will get you pissed after a while...

Stick with Logic and try to master it... or go back to PT...

Or.... try Digital Performer, it has more in common with PT than Logic... (you can alter its keycommands to completely mimic PT, that's how I work with it.)

Group editting is very easy in Performer...

You can do some sort of BeatDetective things, but it ain't the same... I usually work manual anyway...

BUT... Logic is much more snappy...
Old 29th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I think I am with logic for the long haul, unless it gets worse. all of my sampler instruments and sessions are in logic now. I would consider myself an advanced intermediate logic user and know enough about it to firmly say it sucks bad for tracking. real bad. logic experts will say that you can make things easier by working with folders, but i consider that to be a not so great option. comping takes between folder is not good. So I think i have to live with a dual program scenario until logic gets overhauled. I would only use the other program for multi-tracking, which is maybe 10% of the time.

I checked out the new version of digital performer about a year ago and I think I didn't like it at the time, because the pro tools support was limited. Now that is not an issue. I think my other issue with performer was the tiny little tracks in the arrange page. Is that arrange window customizable? it must be. What are the beat detective like options in dp? logic has none, aside from strip silence followed by quantize, which only works with a single track(and very poorly at that)
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
ok, so now i am looking at getting an m audio 1814 and pro tools m powered with the music production toolkit. this full system would run me around $1500 and i could track 16 inputs at a time and it has the fully functioning beat detective. i could live with this minimal digidesign investment and i would not have to learn any new software.

i am just trying to figure out how it works to add a -10dbv interface to my +4dbu system.
๐Ÿ“ Reply