Quantcast
Recording PC Power supplies - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Recording PC Power supplies
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Recording PC Power supplies

What PS is everyone using? Sick of problems with my recording pc, I'm looking to make a monster out of it with lots of name brand ram, a powerful (and hopefully quiet) power supply, and SATA hard drives .

My current case is an Antex Sonata with the stock 380watt Antec p/s. I have a 40 gig ide and an 80 ide at the moment so my p/s should be fine, but I plan to retire the 80 gig ide to being a samples only drive and get two SATA drive for all the dirty work.

Suggestions?

Mike
Old 30th May 2006
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Come one, surely someone has experience with these after market power supplies! Are they worth the extra cash?
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsfortune
Come one, surely someone has experience with these after market power supplies! Are they worth the extra cash?
I don't know. But they are cheap, so for peace of mind it may be worth it for you.

I'm mainly responding because I also have the Antec Sonata with its stock power supply. Everything is running extremely well. I have a PCI sound card & breakout box that uses the computer power. Also have an IDE system drive and two SATA drives for audio and samples. As I said, all is running perfectly, but I bought my system turnkey from ADK, and I decided to trust them to provide the right configuration of components. So far so good. I'll probably add a USB backup drive soon; we'll see how that goes.

Why not stick with the Antec power supply for now and see how it turns out? There are plenty of computers running on less power than the Antec.

-Naren
Old 30th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I'd go to silentpcreview.com (Or something like that) and see what the latest is, but supposedly, the seasonic S12 is pretty tough to beat. Make sure you have enough wattage for your needs, eveen more than. Better to have too much and be rock solid, than barely adequate and choke when it DOES reach that limit.

Most of the noise is in the fan, and they even make some fanless ones. Jury's out on how usable they are. I know for my P4 prescott a fanless PS wouldn't cut it. It just generates to much heat.
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The stock ps that came with my antec case (not sonata) was very noisy. It has no name on the ps so i'm not sure who made it.
I replaced it with a 400 watt Antec Smart Power and it is pretty quiet.
I only hear it when the second fan kicks in which is rare.
Hope this helps.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I've had 2 pc's powered with Zalman and they've both been rock solid. A power supply is the LAST place you want to cut corners in order to have a stable pc and Zalman has some of the lowest ripple and hash figures on the market. The latest Zalman 460 watt is dead silent as well.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the replies. Naren, th eplan is to stick with the stock Antec one for now...or even for good unless I can find a reason to switch.

As for them being cheap, I see them from $70-$300 so I guess there are plenty of options.

I just figured if I'm going to be running 3 drives and I do track in the same room as my pc, maybe a nice, powerful yet silent p/s would be worth considering.

I'll head over to silentpc and have a read....I had forgotten about them. I'll also check out the models suggested.

Thanks guys.
Mike
Old 10th June 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
My knowledge is not great but i do know this much-

It aint cheap BUT...... It's highly regarded.
$95 buys you a 550W Antec True Power EPS 12V 24 pin which is required for many new MOBO

For dual core or powerhouse single core you should have 450 W min

There are better units but like everything it costs more.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…