Quantcast
looking for a killer vst channel strip - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
looking for a killer vst channel strip
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
looking for a killer vst channel strip

I own the powercore element and the UAD but I like to keep them for special tasks. Things like reverb and artistic compression. I find that at 96k I just run them into the ground way to fast.

I own a very fast cpu and would like to get away form DSP cards because of all the hardware conflicts and latency issues that come with them. In doing so I have to wonder if any of the non DSP options are as good.

I thought I would start my search in the non DSP world with a good well rounded channel strip VST plug. I came across the Wave arts plug and feel that it sounds pretty good. Not fantastic but very good for the VERY light cpu load that comes with it. I saw the Metric Halo one but it is only for Mac from what I can tell.

So the question is in two parts I guess, are non DSP options at a point where they sound as good as DSP hosted software? And the second part being what is the best all around channel strip plugin that you know of that will run on a windows based computer.

Thanks
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
waves ssl
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
VB channel strip. Having seen and used things like waves and others, this should be seriously rated.

Regards

Roland
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland
VB channel strip.
Can you help me out with a link for that one? I cant find a thing.
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
never mind i found it. Wow a company that I have not found yet! Thanks!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by osci
never mind i found it. Wow a company that I have not found yet! Thanks!

Vincent is a well thought of designer (and a nice bloke too boot!) in the industry and I would have no hesitation in recommending his plugs. If I had any criticism it would be that some of them are not as ergonomic to use as others.

There is a free version of the channel strip (version 1) on his site, if you buy the plug you get the version 2 and 3 (very useable compressor).

Regards

Roland
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I spent some time with his software last night and have to say that I am very impressed. I was amazed to see how little CPU the channel strip V1 used. I could run ten of them on my AMD 2x2.5gig CPU with Ableton Live 5.2 as my host with only a 10%cpu hit. Just for example the Wave Arts channel strip 5 took about 16%. The Wave Arts plug is a much more feature rich channel strip mind you. The GUI is nothing to get overly excited about but it was clear and had some features that I rely appreciate, like the double click on the output gain to reset it to unity. These are things that I have come to get used to in plug-in’s from OHM Force. To be honest I would rather have a less exciting GUI that takes half the CPU cycles and sounds great than one that looks pretty and sounds “OK”. The one thing that is sorely missing from Strip tool is a gate! Seems like such an obvious feature. Thanks again for pointing me in the direction of his software, right now it is looking like the striptool is in the lead. I like the look of the Waves SSL stuff but it is very expensive. I am trying to get my hands on a demo so I can check them out for myself.

P.s. do you know where I can download the free D-Limiter and DX Plug-in’s?
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
ok so anyone have any others that they would recomend? I am looking for myself but the internet is a big place so any tips are helpfull.

Peace.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I know of the Metric Halo Channelstrip and the Wavearts Trackplug but I cant seem to get much feedback on either from anyone

Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Wavearts Trackplug is cool the compression is to agressive imo though. i don't use to many ch.strips anymore...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Vst?
channel strip?
On a pc?
these guys do it for me...try the demo!

http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/gac-1.php

Scruffy
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I have been continuing my search and have now spent some time (not very much mind you) with the Kjaerus gak-1 and the Wavearts strips. I find that the gak-1 is a little overwhelming. It is not that I don’t understand it but it is a huge plug-in. The Wavearts is great but as DivineMusic said the compression, well the hole unit in my opinion is very extreme. I am producing mostly dance music so this can be a good thing, but it gives one allot of opportunity to get carried away with it.

As for the Metric halo, I would love to try it but I can’t because it is only for mac. The other one I want to try is from focusrite and as far as I can tell from there terrible web site is that it is only for tdm. They make a version of it for there hardware but I don’t think you can buy it separately. So I would still like to try out the Waves SSL, but I am not sure that I am willing to shell out the 40 bucks just to demo the software.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
I use the Wave Arts track plug all the time. The gate is good, the new version has side chain compression options. It's easy on the CPU - all in all it is one of my FAV channel strips.
๐Ÿ“ Reply