Melodyn learning curve - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Melodyn learning curve
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Melodyn learning curve

I am about to dive into melodyn. How is it to use? Is it buggy and cryptic or user friendly? How long did it take to learn? I will find out anyway when it arrives but i'm just curious.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
When i started with it i had to have the manual right next to me, as there is not really anything quite like it, but once you get the hang of it, like anything else it flows.
Old 24th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For simple tuning of one voice...it's a matter of minutes to learn the basics.
MDM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
It took me a month of painstakinly handtuning each note in Melodyne 3, till I found out there's 2 very usefull functions - ( i think they're under EDIT )

TUNE

and

CORRECT PITCH

and then it just does all the notes you have selected, you can say how much % etc -
and, it really works !!!!
Audio Alchemist

The piece of crap they call an interface is the worst I've even come across in my many years of using a computer.

Collecting dust on a shelf, and Auto-Tune is being used instead.

I hear they fixed the bad audio bug when bouncing, but not in my older version.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I found melodyne really easy to use. up and editing in mins. a quick learning in what the tools do and your off to the races. its insane how easy it is to use and the flexibility of what you can do with it.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
What version is best for tuning?
Uno or 3 ?
Old 24th May 2006
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u
I am about to dive into melodyn. How is it to use? Is it buggy and cryptic or user friendly? How long did it take to learn? I will find out anyway when it arrives but i'm just curious.
Melodyne 3 has made the interface better. I never used v. 2 because it was just to many steps, but I upgraded to v3, and work flow is much better. As others said, once you get the hang of the program, it's no problem.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
holy crap. Why have I been using autotune for the last 4 years. Melodyne is so easy and works perfectly. Bravo. EVERYONE NEEDS THIS. Especially ashanti.
Old 25th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagerfeldt
The piece of crap they call an interface is the worst I've even come across in my many years of using a computer.

Collecting dust on a shelf, and Auto-Tune is being used instead.

I hear they fixed the bad audio bug when bouncing, but not in my older version.
unfortunately I'm in the same situation-- I tried to like melodyne but I hate what it does to the quality of audio (even without any processing). couldn't stand to work hard on recording vocals just to have the tone sucked out of it in melodyne.

and yes, the interface is unique but unintuitive. but a few days with the manual should solve that pretty quickly.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I tried to like melodyne but I hate what it does to the quality of audio (even without any processing).
I don't hear it.
MDM
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
nah

you must have been doing something strange - maybe something with drivers or maybe you pitched all notes and a weird way or something

melodyne doesnt change your audio, unless you change things ...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It is hardly a surprise that there is a little loss in high frequency when you imagine all the processing options available so effortlessly.
But this program has come a long long way from the early days and still will go further.
I bought in from the start and was very upset it did not work well.
But now is altogether different and I am a happy user.
Those people who don't like the interface are probably used to other interfaces like I was.Logic has been my life and Melodyne looks rather frightening and a little off putting.
But when it comes to vocals the look is actually very appropriate.
Stacked up bv's in the edit page really do visually work as I flip between the various tracks.
The rather uncertain waveform display becomes a realy clear multi layered view of everything that is going on and all the tools make light work of the basics:
tune/volume/stretch/timeing.
Effortless.
The real thing that troubles me is how long I can spend doing this work.
Perfection becomes annoying.
So I mostly do things manually and avoid any automated tasking.
Close is often close enough.
Keep it simple!
Keep it real!
but get it so it all moves together!
This is what I am learning about with melodyne.
Scruffy
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
A great program... I just wish they could get the Logic bridge fully functional.
Old 26th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
The only really annoying thing to me about this software is how it doesn't f**k with the timbre (or whatever the technical term is) enough to really, really annoy me so I end up a lot of time just tuning the whole damn song in one pass and calling it a day.

I guess that's why I pay pros to care about that type of thing.

Tuning vox is the most annoying thing in world to me.

Creatively this thing is great. Mess with a harmony (or melody!) idea then go back and actually sing it. Helps when you're a marginal singer to begin with. I can only imagine how cool it is for someone with serious pipes.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…