Quantcast
Can I get some plug-in love?? PLEASE - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can I get some plug-in love?? PLEASE
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Can I get some plug-in love?? PLEASE

I need some plug-in love from the best slutz who know their ****nits and I could only think of one place so...

I'm an educator looking to complete my midi set-up with some serious sound shapping tools!! I'm looking for the best products, highest quality and as much input and opinions as you care to share.

Since I'm an educator I can get some really great edu prices (basically 50% off) on the following software titles and bundles (PRICES IN EDU):

URS Classic Console EQ + Compressor Bundle (ABOUT $400)
WAVEARTS POWERSUITE ($300)
METRIC HALO CHANNELSTRIP ($175)
PSPAUDIOWARE MASTER PACK AND EFFECT PACK (ALMOST EVERYTHING FOR $400)
WAVES SSL400 ($500)
SONALKSIS SV-517 & SV-315 ($240)

I need a compressor, reverb/fx, eq, (a channelstrip is really cool but not at the sacrifice for quality for an all in one plug), filters, limiters, etc.. I need an entire signial chain I know those prices are tempting to buy everything, but now I'm just looking for a solid go-to set-up!

PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice on which plugs would best complete my package

BTW: I'm on a Mac G5 so power won't be a problem.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm71
URS Classic Console EQ + Compressor Bundle (ABOUT $400)
WAVES SSL4000 ($500)
I am currently demoing lots of plug-ins and let me say that these three of your choices are my current favorites (subject to change as my experience with them grows). #1: Sonalksis. This is an extremely versitile, musical, and pleasingly transparent compressor that works wonders without sounding "effect-y". #2: URS Classic Console Compressor Bundle. This has color and presence and is a good companion to the Sonalksis. #3: (but still great) Waves SSL Compressor. This is a compressor that can sound extremely natural and also sound colored and add audible artifacts if you want that effect.

All three of these are great and you should be very happy with them (Sonalksis is still #1 IMHO). Other plug-in compressors to consider: Chandler Limited TG12413 (I have used and like a lot); Sony Oxford Dynamics (I haven't used but can say it has a good reputation around these forums).

I am not as big of a fan of the McDSP stuff (I thought it was great until I tried the others), but some people swear by the CompressorBank.

I don't have as much experience with the EQs in the bundles but I can say that the Sonalksis SV-517 is very user-friendly and also quite musical.

Happy hunting and remember: plugins are your friend! heh heh

Cheers,

J.D.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
I am currently demoing lots of plug-ins and let me say that these three of your choices are my current favorites (subject to change as my experience with them grows). #1: Sonalksis. This is an extremely versitile, musical, and pleasingly transparent compressor that works wonders without sounding "effect-y". #2: URS Classic Console Compressor Bundle. This has color and presence and is a good companion to the Sonalksis. #3: (but still great) Waves SSL Compressor. This is a compressor that can sound extremely natural and also sound colored and add audible artifacts if you want that effect.

All three of these are great and you should be very happy with them (Sonalksis is still #1 IMHO). Other plug-in compressors to consider: Chandler Limited TG12413 (I have used and like a lot); Sony Oxford Dynamics (I haven't used but can say it has a good reputation around these forums).

I am not as big of a fan of the McDSP stuff (I thought it was great until I tried the others), but some people swear by the CompressorBank.

I don't have as much experience with the EQs in the bundles but I can say that the Sonalksis SV-517 is very user-friendly and also quite musical.

Happy hunting and remember: plugins are your friend! heh heh

Cheers,

J.D.
THANKS for the input. Man this stuff can be so confusing when you are just starting to learn to listen critically to good vs better!

BTW: you recommend the Sonalksis to be the best of all the options. Is that cause of the sound or lack of coloring? I just installed it and it seems to be pretty high quality but I'm having a hard time noticing the effect?? Maybe that is a good thing??

Also, with the Sonalksis stuff, do you recommend the CQ & DQ to go along with the others?

THANKS AGAIN
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
warning: long post

Quote:
BTW: you recommend the Sonalksis to be the best of all the options. Is that cause of the sound or lack of coloring? I just installed it and it seems to be pretty high quality but I'm having a hard time noticing the effect?? Maybe that is a good thing??
Well, you can get "coloration" with the Sonalksis, but it is not as gritty as the coloration you can get from the PSP VW or the URS 1970/1980. Try using the compressor (the Sonalksis) on vocals. This will allow you to really hear it well. If you have accompanying instrumentation, mute those tracks and just listen to the vocal track. Start experimenting! A good place to start is with a slow attack and a fast release (take the release off "auto" setting), experiment with the compression ratio (4:1 is still in the compression domain; 10:1 is more like limiting)... then play around with reducing the threshold. You don't want (or at least most people don't want) the threshold set so that you can hear too much "pumping", which is when the signal goes down and you can hear a "noise-floor" that is annoying and doesn't sound professional. That works well on drums for some people in order to get an effect-y sound, but for vocals it sounds amateur (JMHO).

The reason I prefer the Sonalksis to the others you mentioned is that it just makes stuff sound awesome without being obviously compressed and sounding like an ugly effect you applied. Once you are used to using the compressor, you will notice the difference and I am sure that you will love using it. Sometimes it takes critical listening for awhile and this is just like getting an upgraded preamp; you may not even notice the improvement immediately when upgrading from say, a 002r's preamps to a great preamp (like a Great River or API). When I first upgraded my preamps I didn't hear that much of a difference at first. But then after listening for awhile, I became aware of higher harmonics and beautiful subtleties that created in my impression what was now obviously a superior sound. It takes time but believe me when you can hear the difference you won't want to go back.

I compare the Sonalksis compressor to another great product (albeit a much more expensive one), the InnerTUBE Audio Squeezebox. This is a compressor that is extremely transparent and many people can't even tell for awhile when listening that compression is even being applied. There was a day in which singers (Rosemary Clooney, Patsy Cline, etc) were well-trained and could "compress themselves" when singing. It was called microphone technique. It hardly exists anymore, so we need compressors to level the dynamic range and make a performance sound like there is a really great engineer who knows the material backwards and forwards in the mixing booth, just riding the faders. This is what the Sonalksis (and the Atomic Squeezebox) can be like if used in a certain fashion. But don't think that you can't get that compression "sound" from the Sonalksis. You can. Experiment for awhile. It will not be as effect-y as a PSP VW or a Chandler TG12413 Limiter, but it can still sound close to that without being "annoying". Of course all of this that I am telling you about is based on my taste in compression technique, and you should decide what you want. If you want a very colored compressor where you can say, "wow, that is really compressed" then you might consider another plugin, although like I said before, the Sonalksis is very flexible and you can get lots of sounds out of it.

Sorry this post was so long. I hope this helps you. Just remember, if it sounds good to you and you are happy with the results, it doesn't matter what you use. Just use your ears and don't be afraid to spend some time getting used to hearing subtle compression. It can be quite beautiful!!

Quote:
Also, with the Sonalksis stuff, do you recommend the CQ & DQ to go along with the others?
I think the SV-315/517 are the best products from Sonalksis, but having said that I haven't spent much time on the CQ/DQ and so I can't really give you a well-informed opinion.

Cheers,

J.D.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Don't shun free plugins because they seem too cheap to be good. There are a select few that are fabulous:

For color compression, I love Blockfish... really all the fish fillets plugs.... and for 2-bus compression/limiting, Endorphin is quite nice.

People may remembering me bringing these up a few times before. I don't work for these guys and I don't mean to harp on about em, but they've all been out for some time now and I think they still stand up to modern plugs costing, well, infinitely more!

Hell, Blockfish and Dominion get me sounds that I can't really get with anything else. Really unique character.

Just realized you're a Mac guy. I had more for ya, but.... sorry! Those digitalfishphone plugs are available for OSX, though. Definitely get those.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
my 2c?

plugins sound lame. compared to good hardware, they suck.

there - i said it

Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
my 2c?

there - i said it

You sure did... feel better? Would you please note what forum this thread is in?
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
i'm in the market for a plugin bundle as well so i know how you feel. plus since i've got a month left at my audio engineering school and i just discovered I get half off of the urs stuff. just installed all the plugin demos and am finding the eqs sound great. u can actually hear them working and each having its slight own character which is something i feel you need when workin in this squeaky clean digital domain.

I got the elemental audio bundle and find it great but at the same time very clean. was looking at the oxford but i think i just want the inflator from there since the eqs will be very clean as well. the waves ssl is getting high marks everywhere...and i've loved their ren eqs and comps but have had to leave them behind in my move from pc to mac.

good luck searching.
Lives for gear

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
my 2c?

there - i said it

I'll remember that the next time i hear another killer mix by Serban Ghenea , Phil Tan, Mike shipley heh
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Anyone using or recommending the PSP or WAVEARTS suites??

I really like both of them and they might have the "high end appeal" but they do sound cool.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
WAVES SSL400 ($500)
I think both the Waves SSL and Sonalksis compressors are great... the Sonalksis may be a little option heavy for those new to the art of compression, but I consider it a must have - very versitle.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:

PLEASE PLEASE give me some advice on which plugs would best complete my package
Also, you should really demo all of these options with your own set up (you might have already), but you could find that some of the favored opinions donยดt really work with your mixing style/type of music...
Gear Nut

๐ŸŽง 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad
Also, you should really demo all of these options with your own set up (you might have already), but you could find that some of the favored opinions donยดt really work with your mixing style/type of music...

THANKS and I'm doing that now, but since I'm learning to "listen" more critically, I need others input to help point things out to me (if that makes any sense) at this stage.
๐Ÿ“ Reply