protools midi experts - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
protools midi experts
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
protools midi experts

I am using protools midi for the first time in my life. Things are fine as far as the software is concerned, but my external units are behaving in a bizaar manner. Here is my setup. OSX 10.4.5 , Protools 7.1 cs5, g5 dual 2.5 powerpc, unitor mk 2 midi interface, mpc4000, yamaha motif es8. Here is the basic issue. If protools is off the mpc4000 works as it should. When I trigger the motif it plays only motif sounds (local is off on the motif). When I trigger samples in the mpc i only hear the samples. if I open up protools my midi control seems to take on a life of its own. If i play the keys on the motif it triggers the samples in the mpc and the motif at the same time. This is without a session open or anything. Is my protools midi setup screwed up or is it my audio midi setup? My only work around is to work on the mpc without protools open. I am very new to the protools midi world so any help would be much appreciated
Old 22nd May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
I think you need to state you problem a little bit more clearly.....
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I've had a similar situation.

I posted this at the DUC:

"Here's what's happening to me.

First, I cannot seem to delete all the midi data I want.
Here's what I did. I created a drum beat with the pencil tool.
That is routed to FxPansion DR-008.
I copied the midi data to a new Instrument Track.
Now, I want to Delete the hi-hat, snare, etc., leaving only the kick part, which I want to feed into another soft synth.

I've tried the pencil tool, holding ALT, some disappear, some dont.
I've tried using the grabber, drawing a box around it, and choosing Edit>Clear
I've tried the Midi Event List window as described in the Pro Tools ref guide, to highlight all the notes I do not want, and then choosing Edit>Clear.

The ALT+Pencil route doesnt work, I click on some, and they dont go away..nothing happens.
Same with the grabber/box method.
And, the Event List only clears one...note...at...a time.

I've tried Spot Mode, Slip Mode, Grid Mode w/different Grid values..same result.

2nd-The 2nd instrument track wants to default to the same output as the first, playing back thru the DR-008, but only for some wrapped VST plugins. Some work, some dont. if I go to output, and click the new instrument, it goes right back to the DR-008. If I use say, Synapse's Hydra, it works.
MiniMoog, works.
I turned off the RTAS bulls-eye, and that seemed to work.
Is that right? What about other plugs?
Should I use separate Midi tracks and Aux tracks??

3rd-Sampletank will not play at all. It says "channel not activated" for all the channels.
If I load into a new session, create a Inst. Track, and then insert it, it plays fine.
But, not in this existing session.

And, lastly...I have the midi data already there, why cant I choose "None" for my midi input?
Just curious.

I know that none of these plugs made by Digi, but I can create a new session, and they play fine, so I am i figure it isnt with the plug-in company.

Any ideas??
I dont normally post, I try and learn thru the manuals, the ref. guide, etc, but I am out of my mind with frustation.
Any help will be appreciated.

Midi Thru is on. H/W buffer on 1024.
Each Inst. track is assigned a different Midi channel.

I am using XP Pro, on Sweetwater Creation Station Dual 3.2 Rack.

Digi 002R, PTLE7
Midisport 4x4 via USB
Korg Kontrol via USB
NOT using the Digi 002R's midi in and outs."

Apparently, other users have had similar problems. and Digi's response is that they are working as hard as they can to improve midi in PT.

A very helpful person on the DUC gave me a link to a very long thread about similar problems, and Digi's response to it.

If anyone here, has any ideas, I could use the help, too.

But, for now, I will do a workaround in Sonar.

-D
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRaX
I think you need to state you problem a little bit more clearly.....

Here is the problem. I am running a hybrid setup. I sequence using the MPC4000 and Protools v7. My midi setup is linked together via a emagic unitor mk2. The mk2 is hooked up to the computer via usb. If I walk into my studio and the computer is off, I can sit down at the mpc and sequence with no problems. If I turn the computer on I still do not have any problems with my MPC setup. If I start protools (not open a sesson, just start the program) I suddenly have issues. The main issue is that my yamaha motif es8 begins to trigger sounds in the mpc even though that particular track and midi channel is not even activated on the mpc. Protools makes the es8 some sort of main controller and begins sending midi messages out to all my synths and the mpc. Keep in mind, I do not even have a protools session open.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I would call Digi.
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm guessing it's this? (From PT manual):

The Default Thru Instrument
In addition to any MIDI tracks that are record enabled,
you can also route MIDI to the Default
Thru Instrument. This saves you the trouble of
creating a MIDI track and record enabling it to
hear a particular MIDI device and channel.
Unlike MIDI tracks, which only listen to the device
and channel assigned to its MIDI Input selector,
all incoming MIDI data is routed to the
Default Thru Instrument.
If the Default Thru Instrument is assigned to a
record-enabled MIDI track, Pro Tools only
routes to the record-enabled track.
To configure a default Thru instrument:
1 Choose Setup > Preferences.
2 Click the MIDI tab.
3 Do one of the following:
• Select a specific device from the Default
Thru Instrument pop-up menu to define a
consistent preview sound source.
• Select “Follows First Selected MIDI Track”
to have MIDI preview assignment follow
MIDI track selection. When multiple MIDI
tracks are selected, previewing will use the
top track/left track in the Edit and Mix windows.
• To disable the Default Thru Instrument, select
None.

----

So, your MPC is probably on MIDI port 1, which would be the Default Thru port. And all your other synths are probably connected to the MIDI out ports of your MPC? So when you play your ES8, PT sends thru to the MPC, which then goes through to all your other synths... ?

Hybrid sequencing like this can be a headache, especially once you want to start syncing up audio tracks. I've developed a system that works for me when clients want to sequence in the studio with their MPC's. If you're interested, I'll give you details. It's kinda long winded though, so if this is all ya really needed, glad I could help
Old 31st May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
----

So, your MPC is probably on MIDI port 1, which would be the Default Thru port. And all your other synths are probably connected to the MIDI out ports of your MPC? So when you play your ES8, PT sends thru to the MPC, which then goes through to all your other synths... ?

Hybrid sequencing like this can be a headache, especially once you want to start syncing up audio tracks. I've developed a system that works for me when clients want to sequence in the studio with their MPC's. If you're interested, I'll give you details. It's kinda long winded though, so if this is all ya really needed, glad I could help [/QUOTE]

--I'd be interested in the details
Old 1st June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ok, I'll try to keep this as simple as possible...

When in "creative mode" laying down tracks, you want the MPC to be the master of course. But you also want to be able to access all your hardware synths you have feeding into PT, as well as any softsynths you use. So connect the two MIDI outs of the MPC to two inputs on your computer's MIDI interface.

In Pro Tools, create 32 tracks, and the set the inputs consecutively for those two MPC midi inputs you used, channel 1-16 each. For example, if you named your MPC inputs to PT "MPC-A" and "MPC-B", your inputs would look like "MPCA-1", "MPCA-2," etc. through "MPCA-16", then "MPC-B-1" through "MPC-B-16". Now you can route the outputs of these tracks to whatever hard or soft synths you want, and you access them from the MPC by setting the output of the MPC track to whatever midi port/channel corresponds to the synth you want. Dig? Templates are your friend for tricky MIDI setups in PT.

Arm all the MIDI tracks you intend to use and let them feed through while you're programming on the MPC. When you're done, sync up the MPC to PT using MTC (you'll need a midi out from PT to an MPC midi in for this) and record all the midi data on the seperate channels as you play the song.

Now the only trick is dropping MIDI data from tracks that use internal MPC sounds, as these are normally not sent out the midi outs. For this, you'll need to do a seperate pass. Create another set of 16 tracks, inputs set to MPC-A-1 through 16. Then in the MPC, mute all the tracks you already dumped and reassign the remaining internal MPC tracks to Out A, seperate channels for each track. Then you can do a synced drop of the MPC tracks for backup.

I usually drop all the MIDI data before I drop the audio. The "internal" MPC midi tracks are just for backup, though. When dropping audio tracks from the MPC, I let the MPC trigger its own internal sounds.

Did any of that make sense?
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
Thanks Improv. All made sense up the part about tracks that use MPC's internal sounds. Do you record Midi data for these tracks as well? I've never had any luck trigging internal MPC sounds from PT MIDI. Only ever wants to pull sounds from one DRUM pgm - never across the four available DRUM pgms.
Also wondering about the first part of your synth setup. Do you have your main/controller keyboard's midi out connected to MPC or Computer? In the setup you described (Both MPC midi outs A,B ->to computer midi in 1,2) I'm guessing you have this keyboard going to MPC Midi in A or B (whichever is not recieving MIDI from the computer), and setup thru to OMNI AB. Is this correct? If so, then where do you fit in your other hardware synths in the equation? Where do they get their midi in messages from? Thanks for the help.
Old 2nd June 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by beats4weeks
Thanks Improv. All made sense up the part about tracks that use MPC's internal sounds. Do you record Midi data for these tracks as well? I've never had any luck trigging internal MPC sounds from PT MIDI. Only ever wants to pull sounds from one DRUM pgm - never across the four available DRUM pgms.
Well, to be honest, I've never actually gone back and used the data dumped from the MPC to retrigger internal sounds, so you may be right in that it's not possible. I'm just a "cover my ass and backup everything" kinda guy, and producers are famous for losing zip disks and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beats4weeks
Also wondering about the first part of your synth setup. Do you have your main/controller keyboard's midi out connected to MPC or Computer? In the setup you described (Both MPC midi outs A,B ->to computer midi in 1,2) I'm guessing you have this keyboard going to MPC Midi in A or B (whichever is not recieving MIDI from the computer), and setup thru to OMNI AB. Is this correct? If so, then where do you fit in your other hardware synths in the equation? Where do they get their midi in messages from? Thanks for the help.
Good point, I forgot about that. Yes, your controller is connected to an MPC midi in, as you're sequencing the midi data from it on the MPC sequencer. I forget what "OMNI AB" is, could you refresh me?

All your other hardware synths are connected to different ports on your midi interface, so they show up in Pro Tools. The routing happens via those 32 midi tracks you created in PT. It basically gives you 32 "routes" to various channels on different synths via different output ports/channels from your MPC, and when you're done sequencing on the MPC and dump it into PT, you can simply unarm those tracks and now you're triggering your synths from PT, no rewiring needed.

If your controller is also a synth, just give it its own output port from PT and route just like any of the other synths.
📝 Reply