Quantcast
Calling all ITB Nuendo & Lynx audio gurus to help with tracking latency - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Calling all ITB Nuendo & Lynx audio gurus to help with tracking latency
Old 22nd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Question Calling all ITB Nuendo & Lynx audio gurus to help with tracking latency

I have tried to do a search on the words Nuendo, Latency and Lynx and find pages upon pages to wade through, some of which seem related, others do not. I did find some alarming posts on a 4 channel monitoring limit imposed by the AES card.

Here is my question:

My Nuendo journey began with a Tascam DM-24/RME 9652, then moved to an FW-1884 and now ends hopefully with a Lynx AES card and a 16 channel Aurora.

This is my first move completely mixerless and in the box. I am just getting the hang of the new control room features of N3. My system is:

AMD - Athlon 64 3800; 2 Ghz Ram; Matrox G-650; Lynx AES Card; UAD-1 (x2); TC Powercore PCI

My concerns are thus,

For any one else using this set up, are you monitoring through Nuendo when tracking ? or through the Lynx cards mixer ?

If in Nuendo what kind of realistic latency are you achieving ? Can a singer, musician and/or drummer realisticly track and monitor playback through the control room section without latency being a factor. Also are you able to track / monitor ITB with effects, if say the singer wants to hear some verb... ? Can I use outboard gear for this purpose with out a mixer ?

If you are tracking just through the Lynx card's zero latency mixer, what do you do about the 4 channel monitoring limit I have read about on this and Gearslutz forum ? Especially if tracking 12 - 16 channels live (like drum, bass and guitar) ?

Normally when I used to track into Nuendo from my DM-24 and / or the 1884, I could leave Nuendo's buffer set to 250 - 500 and have no problems (obviously tracking was monitored through hardware). Now in my 1st few experiments with the Lynx stuff I had to change my buffer to its lowest setting to get down to less than a sec of latency, but my cpu load was almost peaked out and this was only tracking one input at 24/44.1. So I am guessing that 24/96 at 16 channels is a pipe dream ? Am I doing something wrong ? This was of course using the control room section and monitoring directly in Nuendo.

Any advice would be geatly appreciated.

Paul

PS I have also posted this thread to Nuendo and the Lynx forum for help so don't be too harsh if you see this post there too,

Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anyone ???
Old 23rd May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
There have been some good discussions about Nuendo's control room feature at the Nuendo forum.

I haven't messed with the Nuendo control room feature. I use a hardware mixer for cue mixes. I think that's the easiest route, especially if you don't have a high dollar control surface. A used Mackie 1604 for $200 would be more than sufficient for the task.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am familiar with and have been experamenting with the control room section, my biggest concern however is getting an accepatable latency and how best to achieve it.

PV
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
With direct monitoring enabled there shouldn't be any latency.
πŸ“ Reply