Quantcast
Logic Pro 7.1- OY VAY! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic Pro 7.1- OY VAY!
Old 20th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Logic Pro 7.1- OY VAY!

So, I have a Firepod and had been using the copy of Cubase LE that came with it for simplicity's sake. I also am borrowing a copy of Logic Pro 7.1 from school but had yet to use it very seriously until recently due to its complexity. After having some stability issues with Cubase LE, I decided to dig in and figure out Logic so that I could enjoy the improved stability and MUCH improved plug-ins. If I had the money, I would invest in some other legit "simple" software (i.e. PTLE) for easy editing and simpler projects. As of now that's not an option.
Logic is a BEAST. My first editing project took FOREVER as I was still getting used to the different functions and whatnot. There are some things that I still find confusing-
1. Is there ANYTHING that you can do in other DAW's that you can't do in Logic? For instance, I wanted to create the exact same fade-in on all of my tracks, which is easy to do in Cubase by selecting all of the tracks and dragging the fade "button", but Logic won't seem to let me do the same thing to all tracks at the same time, even when they're all selected. And how can you get the recording time limit higher than 15 minutes? I was recording a jazz group the other night and got dangerously close to reaching that limit for some takes, even though I am using an external firewire drive with over 200 gigs of space.
2. What's the relationship between Logic and Pro Tools? Is it only a hardware thing? I've heard a lot of people use one as a "front end" for the other. I'm going to be collaborating with the composition teacher here at school soon (him running PTLE and me running Logic) and would love to know if there are some cross platform features that we can take advantage of.
I know that there are a lot of online resources to take advantage of, but sometimes it's hard to know what to search for.
Thanks!
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
moppish.
if you want an affordable alternative sometime take a look at powertracks that i use. for both midi and audio. if you doubt me go read some of the rave reviews in the guest book at pgmusic.com. further if you doubt me try the demo from pgmusic.com. you get 48 tracks plus no dongle and a huge suite of plug ins to boot. all for the princely sum of 50 buks.
if you further doubt me go talk to powertracks users on the pg forum.
if your open minded youll be rather surprised. many pro tools users have used it in the past just for the midi features which are superb.
there are also several presonus users useing it.
if your into jazz you might also look into some of pg's offerings targeted at jazz
musicians like the jazz guitar and piano master classes for example done with miles black i believe.band in a box has jazz styles also.
just look into it. you might find it interesting.
these products are used by lots of music educators. just an idea.
Old 21st May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
1. sorry, can't select all and do fade outs at the same time. what some ppl do is make folders, or bounce them down into one audio file, or bus them together and use volume automation.

1b. more the 15 min: hit the key "A". you'll get audio saving preference (forgot exact name). there you can choose to go more than 15min.

if it's jazz, the players are prob not playing with click. so you can slow down your tempo to 10bpm, then you can record "longer" than 15min.

or, if they are playing to click, slow down your bpm in half, and then tell'em to play in double time.

2. relationship: 2 different DAWs. the thing about hardware, is you can use PT/Digidesign hardware like MBox, 002, TDM as the generic interface, and record with Logic. and/or, you can track with Logic, and later bring the audio back into ProTools and mix there.

they share similar audio formats like SDII, WAV, AIFF. or you can go from one to the other using OMF (which doesn't work that well, imho).

hope that helps.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Click on Audio on the main menu up top and the go to "Set record path" Then there you can have each song go to a any song folder or location you desire. There you will see the option to record longer.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-tra
Click on Audio on the main menu up top and the go to "Set record path"

that's the name. thanx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
1b. more the 15 min: hit the key "A". you'll get audio saving preference (forgot exact name). there you can choose to go more than 15min.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
1. sorry, can't select all and do fade outs at the same time.

Sure you can. Easy as pie. Select the audio regions you want to fade out. In the top left corner of the screen there is a box that says Fade Out, Fade In, etc etc. Just double click a number, or drag the cursor up till you get what you want.

Logic is awesome if you know how to use it. It still needs a TON of work!!! Hopefully by version 8. I've been waiting too long for Logic to catch up to Pro tools and Nuendo.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
to fade all tracks, select the tracks you want to fade and hit "x" on your keyboard and you will bring up extended parameters, also "p" will bring them up on the "inspector" like cubase. Where it sais fade out, type in 1-10000 and it will fade out tracks, if you want to crossfade all tracks hold down the out and you will see crossfading options.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Music
Sure you can. Easy as pie. Select the audio regions you want to fade out. In the top left corner of the screen there is a box that says Fade Out, Fade In, etc etc. Just double click a number, or drag the cursor up till you get what you want.
this is the reason why i love GS so much. learn something new here all the time. big thanks.

too bad you can't really "eye" this and drag the fade.. still a bit of trial and error with the parameters.. perhaps in Logic 8?

that's the thing about Logic tho... so deep and the learning curve is ridiculous. i've used Logic for a long time, still learning new stuff all the time. but i've found that the workflow is still by far the best out of any DAW out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
to fade all tracks, select the tracks you want to fade and hit "x" on your keyboard and you will bring up extended parameters, also "p" will bring them up on the "inspector" like cubase. Where it sais fade out, type in 1-10000 and it will fade out tracks, if you want to crossfade all tracks hold down the out and you will see crossfading options.
um.. "x" doesn't bring up extended parameters, it only magnifies the track selected vertically. and "p" hides/unhides parameters to the left ... you using custom key commands or older version?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'm using the standard key commands with a few custom, but X is a standard I believe. I'm on 7.1.1

If you use -P- then double click inside the parameters the extended will pop up.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by illynoise
I'm using the standard key commands with a few custom, but X is a standard I believe. I'm on 7.1.1

If you use -P- then double click inside the parameters the extended will pop up.

BaseJase
Illynoise
just tried again... yup, "x" is still zooming into the selected track... i don't think i ever changed mine either. it'd make sense cuz "y" is auto track zoom, so...???

the double click for extended parameters, that i know works for sure.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks a million for the replies, folks.
I may actually still use Cubase from time to time for some heavier editing, but I'd still record into Logic and take the files into Cubase after the fact. I've just gotten some glitches with Cubase that I haven't experienced with Logic, but they only really affect me during the tracking stage. Plus, I'm well aware that I'm using the LE version of Cubase, so I'm not surprised by the problems I've had. Once I've gotten more used to Logic, I'll probably use it exclusively until I can afford an Mbox 2 or something.
πŸ“ Reply