The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 27th October 2016 | Show parent
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGM ➡️
Hey Gannon, can you confirm which OSes will be supported by the latest update? Especially regarding Mac based FireWire Apollos and Console 2.
Thanks.
Hey JGM -

Yes - The new version with Console 2.0 will support OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan.

It also includes initial compatibility with macOS Sierra (complete qualification will follow).

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 28th October 2016 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universal Audio ➡️
Hey JGM -

Yes - The new version with Console 2.0 will support OS X 10.9 Mavericks, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.11 El Capitan.

It also includes initial compatibility with macOS Sierra (complete qualification will follow).

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Thanks Gannon.
I am very happy that us FireWire users will finally be able to get the goods of Console 2.
It's been quite a long wait!!
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks Gannon.
I am very happy that us FireWire users will finally be able to get the goods of Console 2.
It's been quite a long wait!!
I know - it's been a long time for us as well!

Thanks for your patience!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I know - it's been a long time for us as well!

Thanks for your patience!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
For sure. I am very satisfied with the UAD and UA products I own. And they've gotten me much further than before I owned them. Like anything else in life the road will have some hiccups, but more times than not UA does a good job supporting its products and customers. So I take that into consideration.
Will there be some new plugins introduced with the upcoming update? I know you can't say what, but you may be able to say yea or nay.
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
For sure. I am very satisfied with the UAD and UA products I own. And they've gotten me much further than before I owned them. Like anything else in life the road will have some hiccups, but more times than not UA does a good job supporting its products and customers. So I take that into consideration.
Will there be some new plugins introduced with the upcoming update? I know you can't say what, but you may be able to say yea or nay.
Yea! ;-)

-GK
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi Gannon,

I have a question regarding the compatibility on Windows 10/64.

-Why does this need to be Skylake processor or above? (As mentioned in the PTE link)

I have an Intel i7 6850k (Haswell E) 6/12 core CPU on a Socket 2011 x99 Strix Gaming Asus motherboard, which has a single USB Type-C Connector. I understand that if this isn't a Thunderbolt 3 protocol port, then it would only work at USB 3.1 standard which is only half that of Thunderbolt 1. This is a shame as this is a very high end motherboard but I understand this may not have the bandwidth to achieve the performance expected.

However, the X99-Deluxe II Intel X99 is listed as being USB Type-C ThunderBolt 3 compatible here:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/pr...ny_to_one=tbv3

This being an x99 chipset still supports my 6850k, which is obviously my main priority, rather than having to sell my 6850k, and move across to the slower 1151 chipset and 4/8 core CPU's.

Any reason why a simple change in motherboard shouldn't work, aside from your initial comment about requiring Skylake or above? Is there something inside a Skylake processor that my Haswell doesnt support?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, and I realize you may not have the answer, but this announcement will really change my opinions of going OSX or sticking with Windows. Up until very recently I was going to go ahead and make the swap over to OSX with a Macbook Pro 2015 and iMac setup, then only yesterday Apple released the new MBP's, and of course, you're recent announcement! Really does change everything, and looking at either option, it's going to cost me a lot of money to decide either way, so really want to get as much information as I can.

Regards,
Nathan.
Old 28th October 2016
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Gannon, good to see you posting here. I haven't checked in at Gearslutz for a long time. I still have my firewire Duo running Yosemite 10.10, but would love to see what the 2.0 console does.

When will the update be released?
Old 28th October 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@ euphoria89

I don't think for TB3, only Skylake will be required.. (my guess is, that it's what is currently supported and tested by UAD). Some ASUS X99 boards can be fitted by ThunderboltEX 3 card.. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-...pecifications/
Your gaming board isn't listed under supported models, however it has also special 9 pin TB internal header for connection of the card.. So maybe it's also supported, best you can do, is to ask ASUS about that.
Sometimes those special signature gaming series are missing on those compatibility lists. Signature models are sometimes just other boards with minor differences (coolers, styling, defaults at BIOS/EFI). I personally don't like to use gaming gear for this use (kids and teenager focus, weird look, overclocking defaults).

Michal
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmucr ➡️
@ euphoria89

I don't think for TB3, only Skylake will be required.. (my guess is, that it's what is currently supported and tested by UAD). Some ASUS X99 boards can be fitted by ThunderboltEX 3 card.. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboard-...pecifications/
Your gaming board isn't listed under supported models, however it has also special 9 pin TB internal header for connection of the card.. So maybe it's also supported, best you can do, is to ask ASUS about that.
Sometimes those special signature gaming series are missing on those compatibility lists. Signature models are sometimes just other boards with minor differences (coolers, styling, defaults at BIOS/EFI). I personally don't like to use gaming gear for this use (kids and teenager focus, weird look, overclocking defaults).

Michal
Hello Michal,

Yes I checked the Strix x99 specs, and the EX3 Thunderbolt card does seem to be supported. Its currently £60, so i'll no doubt purchase this first. It is just a rebranded x99 model with a few extra features. Fingers crossed this would do the job!
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➡️
Hi Gannon,

I have a question regarding the compatibility on Windows 10/64.

-Why does this need to be Skylake processor or above? (As mentioned in the PTE link)

I have an Intel i7 6850k (Haswell E) 6/12 core CPU on a Socket 2011 x99 Strix Gaming Asus motherboard, which has a single USB Type-C Connector. I understand that if this isn't a Thunderbolt 3 protocol port, then it would only work at USB 3.1 standard which is only half that of Thunderbolt 1. This is a shame as this is a very high end motherboard but I understand this may not have the bandwidth to achieve the performance expected.

However, the X99-Deluxe II Intel X99 is listed as being USB Type-C ThunderBolt 3 compatible here:

https://thunderbolttechnology.net/pr...ny_to_one=tbv3

This being an x99 chipset still supports my 6850k, which is obviously my main priority, rather than having to sell my 6850k, and move across to the slower 1151 chipset and 4/8 core CPU's.

Any reason why a simple change in motherboard shouldn't work, aside from your initial comment about requiring Skylake or above? Is there something inside a Skylake processor that my Haswell doesnt support?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, and I realize you may not have the answer, but this announcement will really change my opinions of going OSX or sticking with Windows. Up until very recently I was going to go ahead and make the swap over to OSX with a Macbook Pro 2015 and iMac setup, then only yesterday Apple released the new MBP's, and of course, you're recent announcement! Really does change everything, and looking at either option, it's going to cost me a lot of money to decide either way, so really want to get as much information as I can.

Regards,
Nathan.
Hi Nathan,

It really comes down to a testing and qualification issue for us. There are many more configurations than we can possibly test, so we're forced to focus on what we think will cover the broadest cross-section of users.

There are certainly systems we have not officially qualified that will work, which may include yours, but unless a system is put through all its paces we can't say it's tested and qualified.

It might be a good idea to wait a bit and see how the community responds before making a decision. People are great about sharing their experiences and I'm sure that in the near future there is going to be a lot of user data out there.

I wish I had a more specific recommendation, but I hope that helps at least a little.

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➡️
Hey Gannon, good to see you posting here. I haven't checked in at Gearslutz for a long time. I still have my firewire Duo running Yosemite 10.10, but would love to see what the 2.0 console does.

When will the update be released?
Hi MJB-

Good to hear from you too.

The release is coming mid-next week!

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello Michal,

Yes I checked the Strix x99 specs, and the EX3 Thunderbolt card does seem to be supported. Its currently £60, so i'll no doubt purchase this first. It is just a rebranded x99 model with a few extra features. Fingers crossed this would do the job!
Hi,

this is the discrepancy, which I was talking about.
It isn't listed at supported models at EX3 page.. on the other hand there is that pin TB header (eg. there isn't any other part for this connection).

Also I've checked the manual
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/..._UM_V2_WEB.pdf

see pages 11 and 44 and look for word Thunderbolt

Looks like there is included special cable, header at the card is 9 pin and header at the board is 5 pin.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/Acc...X_3_UM_WEB.pdf

Anyway, if you want to be sure about that, you can try to reach ASUS using this form:
http://support.asus.com/techserv/techserv.aspx

Finally to connect Apollo, you'd need also adapter from USB-C connector to standard TB.
This is Startech box, which everyone used so far..
https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-.../dp/B019FPJDQ2

Apple just launched cheaper and smaller variant.. (no feedback yet)
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple

Anyway.. I'm also happy for UAD Windows release announcement. I don't use it personally, but did a quite few other setups and cross-platform compatibility for the same UAD devices (eg. no special Win and Mac products) was always one of main concerns recently.
So fingers crossed, it will be working at Windows as well as at it's working at OS X..

Michal
Old 28th October 2016
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Gannon question. With the new release next week will the recently released Apollo Twin for Windows now be functional on a Mac also?
Old 29th October 2016 | Show parent
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Gannon question. With the new release next week will the recently released Apollo Twin for Windows now be functional on a Mac also?
No sir. The Apollo Twin USB is and will remain a Windows-only interface.

-GK
Old 29th October 2016 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
No sir. The Apollo Twin USB is and will remain a Windows-only interface.

-GK
Thanks for reply.
Can't wait for next week!
Old 30th October 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi Nathan,

It really comes down to a testing and qualification issue for us. There are many more configurations than we can possibly test, so we're forced to focus on what we think will cover the broadest cross-section of users.

There are certainly systems we have not officially qualified that will work, which may include yours, but unless a system is put through all its paces we can't say it's tested and qualified.

It might be a good idea to wait a bit and see how the community responds before making a decision. People are great about sharing their experiences and I'm sure that in the near future there is going to be a lot of user data out there.

I wish I had a more specific recommendation, but I hope that helps at least a little.

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Hi Gannon,

Thanks for your response. I think I will wait until the announcement before purchasing anything, but i'll probably just purchase the EX3 Thunderbolt card for £60 and cross my fingers the setup is compatible. Now I know I shouldn't need a new motherboard, it's a risk i'm willing to try. If it pays off, I will have a great setup.

Failing that, I'll still end up having to purchase the Thunderbolt 2 card anyway, but i'll look at going the OSX route instead. Financially and practically however, sticking with Windows is the preferred option.

Another question:
-Will be able to use the Apollo's cross platform with Windows/OSX without having to change firmware/software like we had to with the Thunderbolt/Firewire?

If so, I could still have the option of getting a Macbook Pro for location recording, and use the Windows desktop machine for editing/mixing. I don't have a laptop at the minute, so I would be looking at one for mobile recording, which is how I record a lot of clients. Current Thunderbolt 3 Windows laptops cost as much as a Macbook, so i'd be a bit silly not to go OSX for this specific purpose.

Exciting times ahead!
Old 1st November 2016 | Show parent
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi Gannon,

Thanks for your response. I think I will wait until the announcement before purchasing anything, but i'll probably just purchase the EX3 Thunderbolt card for £60 and cross my fingers the setup is compatible. Now I know I shouldn't need a new motherboard, it's a risk i'm willing to try. If it pays off, I will have a great setup.

Failing that, I'll still end up having to purchase the Thunderbolt 2 card anyway, but i'll look at going the OSX route instead. Financially and practically however, sticking with Windows is the preferred option.

Another question:
-Will be able to use the Apollo's cross platform with Windows/OSX without having to change firmware/software like we had to with the Thunderbolt/Firewire?

If so, I could still have the option of getting a Macbook Pro for location recording, and use the Windows desktop machine for editing/mixing. I don't have a laptop at the minute, so I would be looking at one for mobile recording, which is how I record a lot of clients. Current Thunderbolt 3 Windows laptops cost as much as a Macbook, so i'd be a bit silly not to go OSX for this specific purpose.

Exciting times ahead!
Hi Nathan,

Yes, great news for moving Apollo around now! We're going to a single unified installer and driver so you can use your Apollo Thunderbolt with Mac and Windows machines without having to change firmware when you switch between systems.

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Hey JGM -

Cheers!

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
So not only are UAD plugins tied to OS X but Console is as well..... I don't understand why I'm supposed to give up a stable setup for Console 2, a big feature others have used for over a year and a half now on whatever OS X they have used....

Please tell us how we won't have full functionality of Console 2.0 as original adapters of your product... No multiple unit support, control of alternate monitors etc.. :(

What other wonderful surprises do you have after a year and a half wait for us FireWire users? I really do hope it's something special Up to this point, I and many others feel like this product has been neglected for along time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Excellent news. Will be pulling the trigger on an Apollo 8... Any idea if UAD v9.0 solves the Win10 Anniversary Edition Compatibility issue?
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV ➡️
Excellent news. Will be pulling the trigger on an Apollo 8... Any idea if UAD v9.0 solves the Win10 Anniversary Edition Compatibility issue?
Hi OliverV -

Yes, v9.0 is compatible with Windows 10 AE now!

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thumbs up

Brilliant - thanks!
Old 2nd November 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hi OliverV -

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Am I able to DL/install this without a device? I want to bring my laptop to a store with this pre-installed to see if it's compatible.
Old 3rd November 2016 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hi OliverV -

Cheers,

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Hey Gannon, thought I read somewhere UA would be releasing V9.0 11/2/16, was I incorrect? If so when is announcement?

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey Gannon, thought I read somewhere UA would be releasing V9.0 11/2/16, was I incorrect? If so when is announcement?

Thanks.
You were correct, but it's been pushed back to 11/3.
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV ➡️
You were correct, but it's been pushed back to 11/3.
Cool. Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2016
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey Gannon, quick question. Does UA typically send out an email blast to all UAD-2 owners when there's a new version available?
Universal Audio

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Hey Gannon, quick question. Does UA typically send out an email blast to all UAD-2 owners when there's a new version available?
That's a good question - I'm not sure if we do or not! We try to be careful not to spam people.

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Old 3rd November 2016

🎧 10 years
Ole Cowboy here. Been a long time since I checked in. I'm still rocking the ole silver face Apollo here. Hope everyone is well.

I got to hang with some of the groovy UA dudes and dudettes in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Good times.

Rest assured my brethren, the Apollo is top shelf. I've tried so many interfaces and converters. No matter what anyone tells you, this box is pro class top to bottom.

And I've tried many. Go make some music!!!
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
That's a good question - I'm not sure if we do or not! We try to be careful not to spam people.

-GK
Gannon Kashiwa
Thanks Gannon. But never mind. I did get the email.
Old 4th November 2016 | Show parent
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer ➡️
Ole Cowboy here. Been a long time since I checked in. I'm still rocking the ole silver face Apollo here. Hope everyone is well.

I got to hang with some of the groovy UA dudes and dudettes in Nashville a couple of weeks ago. Good times.

Rest assured my brethren, the Apollo is top shelf. I've tried so many interfaces and converters. No matter what anyone tells you, this box is pro class top to bottom.

And I've tried many. Go make some music!!!
Greetings cowboy. Good to see you around these parts. Also thanks for the Apollo re-assurance. Was just wondering if you've tried any of the recent Antelope Audio interfaces? I've seen many comments of how much more superior they are to the Apollos and others.
📝 Reply