The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 16th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer ➑️
I do...
very tempted.. any idea where I can find some more audio demos?

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBO MUSIC ➑️
Hello,
PlS. Advice me,
where is the best place to order MK-47 MAX mic in europe.

O fcourse i would like to order, complete mic.
( i mean no just part, to make it by my self).
Cat5 is doing that ?... and is in europe?...
Cat 5 is in Florida (USA) but I think he has a few available for shipping. I'll contact him and get back to you.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 ➑️
very tempted.. any idea where I can find some more audio demos?
You don't want to hear it unless you've got the money to buy it. Or you you won't be able to sleep until you do

Here's a small test of my mic through the Apollo pre. I've got some music I've used it for I could post as well.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycoalminer ➑️
You don't want to hear it unless you've got the money to buy it. Or you you won't be able to sleep until you do

Here's a small test of my mic through the Apollo pre. I've got some music I've used it for I could post as well.

That does sound good, music examples would be great too, also if you have instruments tracked through the 47

🎧 10 years
Here's some of my newer music in which I used the 47 for all vocals and most of the guitar cabinets (steel, electrics, etc). Bass and acoustic instruments where not recorded with it.

Attached Files

Should've Thought It Through.mp3 (8.96 MB, 1331 views)

Deep Inside.mp3 (5.17 MB, 1360 views)

I Missed It.mp3 (7.46 MB, 1308 views)

Old 16th December 2014

🎧 10 years
I am in love with mine...
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

Great thanks for those cowboy, sounds really cool.
Old 16th December 2014
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
In Europe you can order it directly from Max, I did and it's on its way to Sweden!
Old 17th December 2014

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Anyone make a poor mans 47? $1000ish ?
Old 17th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music ➑️
Advanced Audio does. CM47 I think it's called.
Old 17th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Funny, I swear I can tell it's the Thiersch capsule. There's actually something modern about the sound, despite it being a recreation of a vintage mic. My mic's very similar. I think this one's a little smoother. Super sweet cowboy, congratulations.

Ok, since cowboy's kind enough to post these great examples, I'll post something wayyyyyy premature for public consumption. I was beginning a new song, so I put up a high hat track as a "click". I had the mic out already, because I'd been working on something else with a friend, so I thought. well.. since it 's set up, I'll grab my guitar and just stand in front of the mic and sing the song, planning to redo guitars and vocals properly later. I figured this would help me put the drum tracks together. I did separate vocals and acoustic guitars yesterday, and although they sound much "better", damned if it didn't quite have the vibe. So, here's the Oliver Archut UM17 Blueline, with the Thiersch M7, about as raw as it gets.. just one mic, with me playing acoustic and singing. Next time I'll put a stereo pair in front of the guitar, just in case this happens again.

I plan to do bass, organ, harmony vocals, maybe a little electric guitar playing a few notes, or maybe a harmonica. What are you guys hearing with this?
Attached Files

Fireflies 2 mp3 2.mp3 (3.99 MB, 1087 views)

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
studio 939

Quote:
Max makes 2 47 kits: the less expensive is available at studio939.

You can still order the hi end cap and I believe cat5 will build this too if you want turn key.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
fireflies: pre pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➑️
Funny, I swear I can tell it's the Thiersch capsule. There's actually something modern about the sound, despite it being a recreation of a vintage mic. My mic's very similar. I think this one's a little smoother. Super sweet cowboy, congratulations.

Ok, since cowboy's kind enough to post these great examples, I'll post something wayyyyyy premature for public consumption. I was beginning a new song, so I put up a high hat track as a "click". I had the mic out already, because I'd been working on something else with a friend, so I thought. well.. since it 's set up, I'll grab my guitar and just stand in front of the mic and sing the song, planning to redo guitars and vocals properly later. I figured this would help me put the drum tracks together. I did separate vocals and acoustic guitars yesterday, and although they sound much "better", damned if it didn't quite have the vibe. So, here's the Oliver Archut UM17 Blueline, with the Thiersch M7, about as raw as it gets.. just one mic, with me playing acoustic and singing. Next time I'll put a stereo pair in front of the guitar, just in case this happens again.

I plan to do bass, organ, harmony vocals, maybe a little electric guitar playing a few notes, or maybe a harmonica. What are you guys hearing with this?

@ MJB

really nice; love the transition to the chorus; boy I reallyhear B3 on that to go with the sway and movement of the chords and vox but subtle cus it could take over the song easy !!

look forward to more dev't: keep us posted !!
Old 17th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Kcat, yep, I'm hearing B3 all the way too. Thanks man.

I'm going back today to look at the separate guitar and vocal tracks I did to see how they sound in comparison. I'm hesitant to keep this track as the main vocal, but maybe I should let my reservations about sound quality go, and just pick the one that feels right. Now I'm wishing I didn't clear my throat while doing this ! :-(
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Brushes on the drums, a Tele w/ tremolo (or as Fender calls it, "vibrato").
Old 17th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks doughb, I've been hearing a fender with them too. Not sure about brushes, but will consider them. A friend keeps telling me to get a baritone guitar if I want the real deal twang, but I've never used one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thats a great start MJB !

Quote:

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

This is cool Martin.

I'm hearing clean electric slide guitar with a lot of delay and some Silver Bullet Band style chick-BGVs "Fireflies...light in the night" type of thing.
Old 17th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Good to hear from you Ragan, Snoggin, thanks.
Old 18th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
We showed one at the AES Show that we hand-build in the US. It's $1,500 with a US-made capsule and $2,000 with a Thiersch capsule. We're using a brand new transformer that Cinemag just developed, which is a major key to the sound, and an NOS Telefunken EF800. I have two original U47's, our mic isn't quite as smooth on the top-end but it's the closest I've yet found (mind you, I haven't tried CAT5's mic yet).

We're also going to be selling an import version with an edge terminated capsule, making it sort of a cross between a U47 and an ELA-M 251. We're using that same new Cinemag transformer except wound to a more 251-like 14:1 ratio (we can install this transformer into the US-made mic, too). Also, it will have a generic EF800 in it instead of the NOS Telefunken. This import model will be in the $799 range.
Old 19th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd love to hear some files of the U47/ELAM mic Eric.
Old 19th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Old 19th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years

hey cowboy,

Boy those tunes just have so much tone: everything about the sound is just top drawer.

Are you using different pres ? If so which where ?

Thx !
Old 19th December 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Yea Yosmite and pro tools now compatible !

Pro Tools Expert - The Pro Tools Community
Old 20th December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
How about I send you one to try out when it's ready?
Old 20th December 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dang, that sounds good Eric. I'll PM you tomorrow.
Old 21st December 2014 | Show parent
Deleted d6778ef
Quote:
Max Jacobs - Colorado (Live at D&R Music) - YouTube

All UA UAD-2 and BLA Apollo.
Massey 2007Limiter on Master Bus.
Hi there,

what plugin are you using for the piano sound?
Old 21st December 2014 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deif ➑️
Hi there,

what plugin are you using for the piano sound?

Hello,
Stock Piano PT11 VI Plugin, I'm sure it was the Real or the Bright Emulation,
with Studio Reverb. Used a Low pass and hi pass filter.
Old 22nd December 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Update

Hey all,

I haven't posted here in ages, but wanted to wish you all a Happy and safe Holidays! I still check in here from time to time, and listen to the tunes/comments/updates.

As a shocker, I've since ditched the UAD platform. I got rid of it because the platform is insidious. I bought way too many plugs, and since I've started school again, I decided to sell a bunch of gear. I couldn't believe how highly valued the UAD stuff is regarded on the second-hand market. It all sold in literally 48 hours after I posted my listing.

I'll be the first to admit that the plugins are second to none, which is why it keeps nailing the wallet! I'm currently messing around with writing again- now that I have some time off both school and work...

Let's see if I can survive without the API/1176 collections...

Now for my next question: what's your favourite native plugins? As of now, I'm just using the built in plugins from Ableton Live Suite, but I'm considering grabbing the FabFilter stuff (now that it's on sale). I'm not overly concerned with modeling analog. I just want high quality stuff without the stupid iLok key.

Keep up the great work people, and I look forward to visiting this thread in 2015. The Apollo is a great device, but hopefully UAD implement a plugin list solution. Their catalogue is getting so big that it really needs to be categorized, and users should have the ability to create custom lists for the console app and the DAW. The pains of being a musician in 2014...

First world problems.

Bring on NAMM!

Lastly, what do you think UAD have in store this year?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by Palaver; 22nd December 2014 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: NAMM Predictions.
πŸ“ Reply