The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UA Apollo First Look (user review)
Old 21st January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cowboy said "Slate has been saying 2k. Take down your 5k posts before he see's them and raises the IPO" I couldn't find anything mentioning the msrp.

I was guessing by looks, but then Slate obviously knows the way to China, and the Chinese are experts at making mics that look high end. I've often wondered why so many of the companies that market the cheaper Chinese mics and tweak or rebadge them don't also come out with a truly competitive mic. Something that's made like a real deal mic. Perhaps that's what Avantone has been trying to do, but has any one of those companies created a real go to workhorse mic that stands up to the professional quality boutique brands like Tab Funkenwerk/ Blackspade, and others like them?

It still seems to me that UAD is operating like a legacy company, similar to Harley Davidson, instead of being truly innovative, like their founder Bill Putnam was. The Apollo was obviously a brilliant product, (despite things like iffy Thunderbolt implementation), and I'm grateful it's enabled me to do exactly what I bought it for. But with companies like Slate, producing the touch screen Ravan, the VBC, (a plug in with 3 excellent compressors for less than the price of one UAD compressor plug), I think UAD's got some ground to catch up on, before they lose their status as an industry leader.

Or am I wrong?
Old 21st January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
well I don't think UA wants to be innovative in that way and Slate does not have to pay fees to companies to emulate their HW as plugs; we have the best of both worlds !
Old 21st January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
True kcat. I actually just wish UAD well. Knowing they can do such a wonderful job when they want to, I wish they'd do even more. In my experience, the only Slate plug to date that competes with or betters the sound quality of UAD's is their VBC.
Old 21st January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've often wondered how there are so many attempts at copying a patented device and there seems to be no lawsuits for copyright infringement. How do all these companies get away with all their 1176's, SSL's, API's U47's, etc.. ?
Old 22nd January 2014

🎧 10 years
Finally Got IT.
RME UFX + Dangerous DBOX
Awsome improvment.

P.S.
By the way. For all dbox dangerous owners...
There is the same sound from sum out vs mon out from dangerous dbox? Somebody check it?

Couse now i record in daw sumout and monitor this via AES in dbox (button daw).

But what maybe could be....:

Sumout to DAW --- monitor via AES in dbox (in dawmode) ---- > and back one more time from alt monitor output to converter...
So you go 2 times.
1) First from sumout (you can monitor, outboard preamp)
2) AES back to dangerous (daw input ) you can monitor how the sound is example plugin on your master chain
3) Alt speaker/monitor output from dbox one more time back to daw... and record what you exactly can hear...

That's why i ask about equal sumout vs monout
Old 22nd January 2014

🎧 10 years
Finally Got IT.
RME UFX + Dangerous DBOX
Awsome improvment.

P.S.
There is the same sound from sum out vs mon out from dangerous dbox? Somebody check it?

Sumout to DAW --- monitor via AES in dbox (in dawmode) ---- > and back one more time from alt monitor output to converter...
So you go 2 times.
2) AES back to dangerous (daw input ) you can monitor how the sound is example plugin on your master chain
3) Alt speaker/monitor output from dbox one more time back to daw... and record what you exactly can hear...

Old 22nd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hello chaps,

The acoustic was a Lowden jumbo. Recorded with a Mojave MA301 FET, into a Heritage 73JR. Everything was simply doubled and panned hard left/right. No low cut filters, just a few feet away from the body, aimed pretty much at the sound-hole, but from about a foot above the height of the sound-hole.

Then a little UAD A800, VCC and 1176LN to catch the odd peak at 8:1, and thats about it. Any further compression is master buss VBC across the mix. No EQ on acc guitar, which is a first for me, even on the master buss. The choice of mic/pre just seemed to work nicely in the mix, giving a nice rich and full sound to fill in the low mids where a bass would otherwise aid.

If anyone hasn't heard samples of the Mojave MA201/301FET, i urge you to take a listen to some. They are K67 based capsules, and have a fantastic build quality with Jensen tranny's, but at less than a $1000.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 ➑️
Hello chaps,

The acoustic was a Lowden jumbo. Recorded with a Mojave MA301 FET, into a Heritage 73JR. Everything was simply doubled and panned hard left/right. No low cut filters, just a few feet away from the body, aimed pretty much at the sound-hole, but from about a foot above the height of the sound-hole.

Then a little UAD A800, VCC and 1176LN to catch the odd peak at 8:1, and thats about it. Any further compression is master buss VBC across the mix. No EQ on acc guitar, which is a first for me, even on the master buss. The choice of mic/pre just seemed to work nicely in the mix, giving a nice rich and full sound to fill in the low mids where a bass would otherwise aid.

If anyone hasn't heard samples of the Mojave MA201/301FET, i urge you to take a listen to some. They are K67 based capsules, and have a fantastic build quality with Jensen tranny's, but at less than a $1000.
Awesome! Thank you for sharing. I absolutely love the MJVE301fet, and Heritage mic pre is sweet as ice cream!
After the build it's Heritage and some Warm audio for this guy.
Attached Thumbnails
UA Apollo First Look (user review)-image_6823.jpg  

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEBO MUSIC ➑️
Finally Got IT.
RME UFX + Dangerous DBOX
Awsome improvment.

P.S.

So you go 2 times.

Sum out is a purely analog path through the input buffers, summing network and output buffers. The monitor out is through the DA.

Best workflow is to use the individual outs of the interface into the summing inputs. Take the summing out back into the AD of your choice and then feed that through aes/spdif back to the dbox set to monitor from the monitor outs. This is as close as you will get to wyhiwyg.

On another note, I came across some nos 1950s 6072 tubes and have worked out a trade with the guys who produce the boards for the latest C12 project. I can't keep building them for myself so many one interested in one if I decide to build some more? Probably $1600-$1800 complete. Just a feeler.
Old 22nd January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Cat 5;

Having built one myself I know that is a really attractive offer, especially with the original tube; what cap or capsule would you be specing ?

you could do a c12 or 251 build ?
Old 22nd January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks Euphoria. Every time I hear something with that Heritage pre, I sit up straighter and my ears perk up. Man, that's what I'm looking for tonally from a pre on guitar. Is there a setting you guys know of on the ToneBeast that gets close to that. I won't be jumping on a Heritage pre for a while. I just ordered the Thiersch M7 capsule upgrade from Blackspade in Switzerland, and will then have to get it installed here in the states, so that's my upgrade budget for the season. I must say though, that Heritage tugs at me. I bet having the model with EQ is sweet, but just the pre seems to sound amazing, so that would be good enough.

I have to go and see if I've signed up for UAD's feed from the NAMM event now..
Old 23rd January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Apollo twin ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnj9jif5di...image_5824.jpg

Sound on Sound advance digital copy of Feb 14 issue seems to have scooped NAMM. Two in, six out with lightpipe and proprietary tech for the pres called Unison Preamp Technology.

699 for solo, 899 for duo.

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 23rd January 2014 at 01:34 AM.. Reason: Blurb
Old 23rd January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So, this is a preamp?

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcatthedog ➑️
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnj9jif5di...image_5824.jpg

Sound on Sound advance digital copy of Feb 14 issue seems to have scooped NAMM. Two in, six out with lightpipe and proprietary tech for the pres called Unison Preamp Technology.

699 for solo, 899 for duo.
Nice detective work!

re: C12 capsules. the lower $$$ for Chinese edge term capsule the higher $$$ for the new American made CK12. I won't even try to get more of Tim's. Took 10 months for the last 3!

Some neat stuff already leaked from NAMM. Slate, Neve, Kush...I hope UA has more than this to announce....and $200 for one more DSP chip? Ouch!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Apollo twin revealed !!

Universal Audio Apollo Twin Desktop Interface with Realtime UAD DUO Processing | Musician's Friend

Boys they scooped ua its not up on the ua site ?!
JGM
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Looks great! I wonder if it is TRUE Thunderbolt?
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Its the only comm protocol on it : bet it is and has new firmware !
Old 23rd January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
OK, so.. this thing has equal DSP power to my Apollo DUO, can run plugs the same way, AND has Thunderbolt? All I'd be missing is what? I mostly use only one input, from my preamp, and on rare occasion two mics. I don't understand what they mean by "vintage" and SOLO. Did UAD include a preamp processor like their SOLO, or is it a plugin. If this does everything my Apollo does other than have more inputs I never use, I'd consider selling the Apollo and using the difference for something else, like a satellite or a new mic. What do you guys think?

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➑️
OK, so.. this thing has equal DSP power to my Apollo DUO, can run plugs the same way, AND has Thunderbolt? All I'd be missing is what? I mostly use only one input, from my preamp, and on rare occasion two mics. I don't understand what they mean by "vintage" and SOLO. Did UAD include a preamp processor like their SOLO, or is it a plugin. If this does everything my Apollo does other than have more inputs I never use, I'd consider selling the Apollo and using the difference for something else, like a satellite or a new mic. What do you guys think?
On the Solo...there was also a Apollo solo listed on MusiciansFriend website.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Are you here with anyone tonight ?:)

Solo normally means 1 chip, duo two

So yes you could either run a pcie card ( quad) in a chassis over tbolt or use a tbolt/fw adaptor and run a quad satellite

As it has adat in : that would be your bridge for when you need more than two inputs

Plus more included plugs:

Includes "Realtime Analog Classics" UAD plug-in bundle, featuring Legacy editions of the LA-2A Classic Audio Leveler, 1176LN Limiting Amplifier, and Pultec EQP-1A Program Equalizer, plus Softube Amp Room Essentials, and more

Last edited by Kcatthedog; 23rd January 2014 at 05:26 AM.. Reason: Add
Old 23rd January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm getting ready to be pissed off, UAD has a box with the same DSP power as my DUO, that COMES with Thunderbolt, and some other goodies for what, $899? Hell, I get 15% discounts at certain stores all the time, so that would mean $749 street on a good day. And they still have the nerve to want to charge me $500 for a TB card?

I feel UAD should be almost giving them away to early adopters by now, just for giving them so much traction with our support. A loss leader can bring much good press and good will, and keep customers loyal, they should know this.

For a minute, I had thought the SOLO meant the SOLO 610 was in there too.
Old 23rd January 2014
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
But why get angry, we can't change the past , we have had all kinds of opportunity over the last two years to save all kinds of dough on plugs and HW deals: they just never discounted the tbolt card ? I don't understand why not ?

Maybe they will offer a deal in the spring ? Or sell your duo and grab a twin ? you have made great recordings with your apollo, 1,000's of people know your work from your warm video and i don't think you are experiencing the error flu

I've rolled back my software 4 times and had a whole bunch more problems today but just in ptx not 11, which was interesting.
Old 23rd January 2014
MJB
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry to hear about your bugs kcat, no bugs here, thankfully.

If UAD can produce such a piece as the Twin that retails for $899, and that price will be discounted at some point, those Thunderbolt cards might become like the buggy whip, good for almost nothing, unless your still riding a buggy.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 ➑️
Sum out is a purely analog path through the input buffers, summing network and output buffers. The monitor out is through the DA.

Best workflow is to use the individual outs of the interface into the summing inputs. Take the summing out back into the AD of your choice and then feed that through aes/spdif back to the dbox set to monitor from the monitor outs. This is as close as you will get to wyhiwyg.

On another note, I came across some nos 1950s 6072 tubes and have worked out a trade with the guys who produce the boards for the latest C12 project. I can't keep building them for myself so many one interested in one if I decide to build some more? Probably $1600-$1800 complete. Just a feeler.

This is all true except the SPDIF out of the interface would be monitored through the DAW button on the DBOX, not the MONITOR button, to listen to the DBOX DA....which is better than Apollo or Blapollo to my ears.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick8801 ➑️
Morning guys....just wanted to share another tune with everyone. I'm really proud of this one! I've always been heavily inspired by The Beach Boys and the Beatles (who hasn't!), and I think this song captures a little of what I love from both those groups, plus it has it's own little flavor as well. Since I used my tonebeast for most of the overdubs and all the vox, Bryce was nice enough to put it up on the Warm site! Anyway...super proud of this one, and I hope y'all enjoy!

The Edward Furlongs - "Pieces of Me" - YouTube
I love it. So cool. You have a great mind for production and write very cool songs, pal.

It's probably the same thing as last time I asked, but what's the drum mic'ing setup again? I love the drum sound.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJohnGalt ➑️
Sweet room Ragan. What kit is that. I like the Ludwig snare....is it a supraphonic or what?
Sorry for the delay. That kit is an off-brand thing put out by "Precision" for some Student Drum Collective or some thing. It was cheap and the shells are pretty decent for a budget kit. The shop I bought it from had a decent drum tech who was also a builder and I had him work on the bearing edges a little when I got it. It's ok. It's what I've got. The snare is an old Acrolite. It's a 5" and I'm forever looking out for a deal on a 6.5" Acrolite but you don't see them as often.

My older brother, who taught me to play and who was the drummer in a band I was in for years, has a much nicer kit he isn't using. It was custom built for him by Jerry Garcia (not that one) here in Seattle. I need to get that thing over here and mic it up.
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB ➑️
I'm getting ready to be pissed off, UAD has a box with the same DSP power as my DUO, that COMES with Thunderbolt, and some other goodies for what, $899? Hell, I get 15% discounts at certain stores all the time, so that would mean $749 street on a good day. And they still have the nerve to want to charge me $500 for a TB card?
Sell your Apollo and buy one of these then. JRR Shop will probably offer a trade in!
I'm tempted, although I use 16 ch on mixdown. Almost all of the time I use two channels at most.
Old 23rd January 2014

🎧 10 years
@IamJohnGalt
@Category 5

So If i good understand... If i like it how is sound after DA (DANGEROUS DBOX) i cound also print that DA yes?.
Of course if bad AD dont destroy this i what i like...

1)So interace 8 chanall ----> summing (dbox) --->
2)SUMOUT DBOX ----> AD interface (print in DAW ...)
3)SPDIF interface ----> back to DBOX
4)from ALT OUTPUTmonitor DBOX (after DA DBOX) comeback again to interface AD, and this time i record this what i hear in point 3...

Ocourse after when i will listen point 4 ... i will listen like 2 times the DA of dbox... One in print file... and the second "online"....

Somebody test it?
Old 23rd January 2014

🎧 10 years
@IamJohnGalt
@Category 5

So If i good understand... If i like it how is sound after DA (DANGEROUS DBOX) i cound also print that DA yes?.
Of course if bad AD dont destroy this i what i like...

1)So interace 8 chanall ----> summing (dbox) --->
2)SUMOUT DBOX ----> AD interface (print in DAW ...)
3)SPDIF interface ----> back to DBOX
4)from ALT OUTPUTmonitor DBOX (after DA DBOX) comeback again to interface AD, and this time i record this what i hear in point 3...

Ocourse after when i will listen point 4 ... i will listen like 2 times the DA of dbox... One in print file... and the second "online"....

Somebody test it?
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Set up

Fab dupont's set up video is for apollo but same principles apply check it out.
πŸ“ Reply