Quantcast
Consolidating with "Cubase" - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Consolidating with "Cubase"
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Consolidating with "Cubase"

Hey guys, I'm a Pro Tooler needing to "consolidate" 20 tracks in Cubase from starting point to end and then "export" all 20 audio files. Someone explained to me I have to do this 1 at a time by soloing the track, scroll to audio mixdown, etc... Isn't there a better way?

Thanks....
Old 17th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudnoize ent.
Hey guys, I'm a Pro Tooler needing to "consolidate" 20 tracks in Cubase from starting point to end and then "export" all 20 audio files. Someone explained to me I have to do this 1 at a time by soloing the track, scroll to audio mixdown, etc... Isn't there a better way?

Thanks....
Highlight all the audio you need to consolidate and go to Bounce Selection. It's pretty much the same thing as Pro Tool's Consolidate.
Old 17th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey MT Groove,

Thanks for the quick response. I don't have Cubase with me as my client has it installed in her computer but will the Bounce Selection create individual audio files or become a Stereo File?
Old 18th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Bounce Selection will result in one file for each track in your audio folder, just like in Pro Tools. Stereo Tracks will end up with a Stereo interleaved WAV file, while Mono track will end up with mono WAV file. The process is almost identical to exporting tracks out of Pro Tools.

You may need to explain to her how to get those bounced files to you. One easy way I would do it is to go to the audio folder and sort by date. All the bounced files will show up first. Copy those to another folder and burn to data disc or copy to firewire drive etc.

BTW, the Bounce Selection function should be under the Audio menu.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Hey MT, Gotcha!!! You've been a big help to me... Thanks!!!

Cheers!
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
One more thing. After the first track bounced, it will ask you if you want to replace events. I would say no, so as to keep the original session intact. After that, the rest of the tracks will continue to bounce uninterrupted.

I don't mix in Pro Tools nor Cubase/Nuendo. But the first thing I learned about these 2 apps is how to export the tracks out. :D
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Also, you can rename all the tracks you need to bounce, like "1_snare_bounce", "2_kik_bounce". The newly created files will take this name and it will much easier to find them in the audio pool.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
just remember that "bounce selection" does not include pan ,eq,fx etc. and that it is pre track and master fader so it may be the right choice when you want to leave any eq settings etc intact.(this is when the export audio process is useful)
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info guys and yes, I don't want to include, pan, levels, FX so this is good...
Old 20th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Just want to say how fukn awesome gearslutz is. I was breaking my head trying to figure this out and was just about to start a thread asking the EXACT same question. Figured maybe I could find it in a search and there it was, one of the first few threads. So another thanks from me too!

But I do have one question - will tracks that don't come in right from the start show up in pro tools in their proper place? Or do I somehow have to get everything starting from zero to match up properly?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
One other question - if I use the bounce feature do I need to bother with exporting OMF files? I'm not even sure I get what they are.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
glue a blank part at the start of each track before bouncing to ensure they all star at the same time and line up right.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkynuts
glue a blank part at the start of each track before bouncing to ensure they all star at the same time and line up right.
Yea I figured I'd have to do that but thought maybe I could be lazy and get away with not doing it. It's not the beginning part that will be time consuming but all the spaces in between parts that come in and out. I guess there's no quick fix around that. Thanks.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Wait, now that I'm thinking about it am I making this harder than it is? Do I just need to put one blank measure at the start of the track and the whole thing will bounce to one file or do I need to fill in all the empty spaces with blank measures?
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Sorry for all the posts, forget the last two... I just did it and it filled in all the blanks no prob, just needed to put at the beginning like funkynuts said.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
In Cubase, you don't need to glue a blank soundbite/region to the beginning of the track. If you select everything all the way from the beginning to the end, it will export files that will line up if you just put them to the beginning in your next DAW. In some applications such as Digital Performer, you will need to insert a blank soundbite at the beginning of the track if it doesn't start from the top. It's kind of a pain in the ass. Pro Tools and Cubase/Nuendo makes it easier in this process.

You can use OMF if your other aplication can accept OMF. However, sometimes it still seems OMF is hit or miss. But the advantages of OMF is that you can leave handles around the soundbites for further editing if you need to fix an edit. Exporting all as WAV files makes it more difficult to fix bad edits. You will need to ensure that all editing is properly executed first.
TLS
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Use the *range* tool to select from beginning -> end of session across all tracks - not the normal arrow tool. No need to paste any "blank" audio anywhere. Then as mentioned use the "Bounce Selection" function.
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There is an easier way, go into the pool and convert all your files to broadcast wave and then you will be able to import them into pt with smpte position, or otherwise with a lot of little files, you hold down apple/option key and you can draw blank bit of audio and then copy all of those to the beginning of each track and then do a bounce selection.

I have setup a macro in cubase where it selects all audio on a track and then bounces and then replaces, it's faster.

Just some other options I wanted to throw out there.

BaseJase
Illynoise
Old 22nd May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sorry, I just read the above post, didn't know you could select the range!!!

BaseJase
Illynoise
πŸ“ Reply