Quantcast
huge load on cpu - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
huge load on cpu
Old 14th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
huge load on cpu

I have 2 computers with firewire800 cards installed. One is a desktop, X2 3800-Asus A8V pro-2gb ram. The other is a Toshiba Satellite notebook.
On the X2 3800 Im getting more than 50-60% loads on cpu while recording 26 channels 24/44.1 through fireface800 and onto a usb drive.
When I set up the same track counts on the Toshiba Notebook Im only seeing about 10-20% loads going to the same usb drive.
I have an RME HDSP 9652 installed in the desktop along with a UAD-1 card. I havent tried changing the PCI configuration but I will if thats what you slutz suggest I do. Doesnt seem 2 help when I disable the HDSP either.
Is my motherboard a POS that I should replace? DO I just need to change PCI configs? Please help I dont wana tear out the MB if I dont have to even though I dont like it....
What should I do? If I tear out the MB and replace it but get the same strange load Ill be bummed.....I just read on RME's site about windows 2000 uses not having trouble on laptop based systems that desktop users have because of the PCI sharing issues.
Whats my most likely problem slutz?
Old 14th May 2006
Quote:
... and onto a usb drive.
might be, might be not.. but I gave up reocording onto USB drives.. that was exactly my problem.
Old 14th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
the answer is not simplistic.
there are many reasons why this occurs.
first thing is to look in task manager on the desktop.
and analyse the running tasks that task manager shows and identify differences tween desktop and laptop.
maybe you have some hidden tasks running on the desktop your not aware of.
maybe a whole set of added tasks your laptop doesnt have.
OR it might be the laptop (is it a core duo ??) is just dam FAST !!
look for tasks running while running your audio software.
maybe to make a more even test with the laptop take out the uad1 card and see if the 50 percent fig on the desktop drops in a major way.
if it DOES , then the answer is obvious.
The one thing to understand is pci bus limitations.
Unfortunately people keep on loading up their pci slots without realising these limitations.
To be frank i'm not a proponent of add in dsp cards in computers of any ilk.
but i dont think folks want to hear that !!
Old 15th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola
might be, might be not.. but I gave up reocording onto USB drives.. that was exactly my problem.
But in his case, he's using the same USB drive but getting very different results on the two computers.

So...

I was pretty iffy about USB2 drives. When I got one I was going to use it strictly for backup and archival (esp. since it only had a 2MB cache) but it proved adequate to host not just my audio files but my BFD files, as well. (I realize it would be better to get them on separate drives and currently I have two ATAs, a SATA, and the USB outboard, but I haven't got around to moving stuff around... and, frankly, it's all working and I'm lazy and... need I say more? heh ) But they're ALL 7200 rpm drives.

But, yeah, it was my thinking a FW drive would be a better performer. And it's still my thinking that at 10,000 rpm and above, FW [or better yet, FW2] is probably the better choice. At 7200 RPM, USB2 seems to do pretty well.

I wonder if anyone can point us to some benchmarks using 7200 and 10,000 rpm drives on the various controllers?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
nasty
Quote:
But in his case, he's using the same USB drive but getting very different results on the two computers.

So...
this is all about chipsets I think.. southbridgechipset doesnt like the USB chipset.. causes huge CPU load.

but might be another issue..
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
stock usb setting

The MB bios was set stock to full speed USB, thats 12mbps, I set it to USB Hi Speed 480mbps.
πŸ“ Reply