Quantcast
G5 Mac - Digital Beep - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
G5 Mac - Digital Beep
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
G5 Mac - Digital Beep

OK, so I've got a dual 2GHz G5 Mac and after installing Tiger, I have this annoyong digital beep eminating from somewhere in the CPU. Yes, deactivating napping with CHUD does rid the beeping but does anyone actually know what actually causes this problem and what the hell can fix it permanantly.

I've heard of Power Supplies being replaced but I get no satisfaction from Apple.

What is the official cure, please?
Old 11th May 2006
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
When does the beeping occur? Have you opened an application?
Old 11th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett
When does the beeping occur? Have you opened an application?

The beeping occurs from the second the CPU boots up and continues all the time regardless of whether an application is running or not.

There is no doubt that it is a known problem as many who have the problem can testify, but what is the solution and why is it happening. It wasn't happening under Panther.
Old 12th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial
The beeping occurs from the second the CPU boots up and continues all the time regardless of whether an application is running or not.

There is no doubt that it is a known problem as many who have the problem can testify, but what is the solution and why is it happening. It wasn't happening under Panther.
it started happening for me when i added a firewire pci card. chud is the only workaround i know of.

jeff dinces
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What happens when you decide to no longer go "napping with chud"? By disabling it are we losing any functionality I should be aware of?

As a sidenote, "Napping with Chud" takes the prize for most hilarious sounding computer term.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What happens when you decide to no longer go "napping with chud"? By disabling it are we losing any functionality I should be aware of?

As a sidenote, "Napping with Chud" takes the prize for most hilarious sounding computer term.
Old 13th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Here's a link to a thread on Apple's Discussion Board.
Although Apple are aware of the problem, they don't seem to claim any responsibility, nor do they have a solution. There's a lot of annoyed G5 users our there.
Evidently they have all had the problem when they installed Tiger/10.4

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....607076&#607076
Old 16th May 2006 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
bummer
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…