Quantcast
What do set your iTunes encoder settings to? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What do set your iTunes encoder settings to?
Old 5th May 2006
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
What do you have your iTunes encoder settings set to?

Anyone read this article? http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/itunes.htm

He says 128 kbs (VBR) AAC with Error Correction is good enough.

Anyone else concur?
Old 5th May 2006
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Rip a song at different settings and see if you can tell the difference on your studio monitors.

I did this and could tell a huge difference. I ended up going with 256 AAC which seems like an acceptable balance between sound quality and file size.
Old 5th May 2006 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 15 years
Quality rules use Apple lossless

You never want to get used to bad sounding audio, it creaps into your brain and destroys your ability to listen.

Old 5th May 2006 | Show parent
Jax
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
.wav 100%

I don't like any of the compressed formats.
Old 6th May 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax
.wav 100%
Ditto
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Audio snobs.

Good luck getting your whole CD collection on your iPod.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I have to use mp3 when sending music to other artists & labels overseas.

I used to encode at 320kb (highest setting) with the standard iTunes encoder.

I recently had some spare time, and dl the LAME codec. I then re-encoded the mp3 (from wav of course) using the alt preset extreme setting (which equates to 320kb......I dunno why they have these stupid names either) and the difference was HUGE!! I didnt think Id notice that MUCH difference between the 2 encoders, but I did.

So yeah, if anyone wasnt aware, go check out the LAME codec and use that in iTunes for a much better sounding conversion.

Only hassle is it doesnt appear directly in the convert preference page where the standard conversion settinngs are, but its not that awkward.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
for me it's atleast apple lossless (for the ipod) or .wav

ERic
Old 6th May 2006
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
AAC 256 is fine
Old 6th May 2006
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat
He says 128 kbs (VBR) AAC with Error Correction is good enough.

Anyone else concur?
I use this too, because I am not playing the music from my ipod over my speakers much and thru the tiny headphones in the train or on the streets, the difference can't be heard anymore.

Another reason for me is battery life, if the files are smaller, more songs can be loaded into the RAM of the ipod, making your HD spin up less, gives you more time before you have to reload the ipod. I had a couple of long flights and I want to be sure I have music whenever I need it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyV
Audio snobs.

Good luck getting your whole CD collection on your iPod.
The difference between the files as delivered from iTunes and the way they sound on the manufactured CD is a big difference.

If you make a CD of an album purchased from iTunes and compare it to the manufactured CD, the iTunes CD sounds think, brittle and less musical. It's reminiscent of a cardboard cutout.

Personally, I don't think having my whole CD collection on an MP3 player is going to make the time I spend listening to music more rewarding. What's going to make it more rewarding to me is listening to music I like and having it sound as good as it can given the situation.

I don't think being a stickler for good sound makes one a snob.

If a snob is "a person who believes that their tastes in a particular area are superior to those of other people" then I don't think it applies here. I'm not comparing my tastes with the tastes of others, I'm comparing the sound of two audio formats.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
AIFF with error correction switched off.

I do not own or use an iPod and if all music would come only on mp3 I'd become an investment banker or an accountant...
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I heard the AAC codec in Germany in 1998. Now, all these years later, it's been widely adopted. In 1998, Frauenhofer Institute showed a survey that said listening panels judged AAC at 384 kbs to be "indistinguishable" from the cd.

Now Apple and others are perverting this survey and saying that AAC at 128 is the same as a cd. It ain't so. . .

The higher the number the better---

SO--AAC @256
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yeesh... All of you folks importing .wavs or even Apple Lossless shouldn't even be using ipods. And perhaps not even importing it at all. I resisted it for a long time myself, but the truth is that high bitrate AACs are nearly indistinguishable from the original on AVERAGE monitoring equipment, pro or consumer. And I have relatively good ears with very good upper frequency detection (I'm still pretty young, I'm sure that will change some day).
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
My whole reason for asking the question in the first place was because I was tired of burning CDs as I was mixing. I wanted to import them into my iPod and listen to them in my car. (btw, i'm using a dedicated line in and not the radio transmitter).

I need to do more tests, but I think AAC @256 is pretty good for general reference.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you're doing car stereo tests on your mixes, I'd suggest mixing to AAC 128kbps. That's what the majority of people will hear. If the car audio test is meant to give you that "lowest common denominator" mix judgement, then compress it using the most common format. MP3 192, or AAC 128kps.

With regards to the argument on a whole, I think people here are arguing two separate topics. Of course we'd all prefer to listen to uncompressed audio -- but as someone else here said, if you're using an iPod, you're using it for mobile music. I'm not willing to slug around reference-quality headphones while i'm on the train, and my connection in the car is certainly not ideal. We may be audiophiles, but we should also be music lovers -- music CAN be well appreciated at 128kpbs. Anybody who says otherwise is too obsessed with technicalities and not in love with the music itself.

Just my three stones.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush
I heard the AAC codec in Germany in 1998. Now, all these years later, it's been widely adopted. In 1998, Frauenhofer Institute showed a survey that said listening panels judged AAC at 384 kbs to be "indistinguishable" from the cd.

Now Apple and others are perverting this survey and saying that AAC at 128 is the same as a cd. It ain't so. . .

The higher the number the better---

SO--AAC @256
I imported a few well-recorded songs as both .wav and as AAC 256, listened via pretty high quality gear (Apogee convertors and Adam monitors) and the difference was extrememly subtle. Most of the time indistinguishable, but I could hear just a bit of the highend of the hihats being rounded off and the space around the instruments was different ever so slightly. It took some pretty critical listening to hear this, very much unlike how I normally listen to music, so AAC 256 is much more than just adequate for me. When you consider the hard drive space it saves it's a no brainer.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…