Quantcast
Graphic card for plugin processing? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Graphic card for plugin processing?
Old 11th January 2012
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Graphic card for plugin processing?

Hi - I'm looking at Nebula and it claims "CUDA processing via NVIDIA graphics cards." Has anyone tried this?

I believe ATI cards would be better at processing (that was my experience when mining for bitcoins, using a GPU was upwards of 50x faster than a processor)

Are there any other plugins or standalones for that matter that makes use of a graphics card's processing power?

I don't want this to devolve into a discussion about UA type "dongle ware" because as far as I am concerned that extra processing is archaic relative to current GPU/CPU power, but I've not found anything that makes use of the current potential, fully.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Ive often thought of softsynths using todays very powerful graphics hardware for new forms of synthesis

Im glad something is taking advantage of that available power in some way

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz.com
Old 11th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep ➑️
Ive often thought of softsynths using todays very powerful graphics hardware for new forms of synthesis

Im glad something is taking advantage of that available power in some way

I'm not computer engineering/science smart enough to know if the types of number crunching graphics cards excel at would be truly relevant. I don't see why not and the nebula bit is highly interesting.

On my ancient ATI graphics card I was mining bitcoins at 200,000k/hash a second versus my quad core 2.2 ghz processors' 4-5,000k/hash. Of course that's a specific operation but still, 40-50x more?

And we're talking, literally, a $100 graphics card which you can put 3-5 on specific motherboards...
Old 11th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by frott ➑️
I'm not computer engineering/science smart enough to know if the types of number crunching graphics cards excel at would be truly relevant. I don't see why not and the nebula bit is highly interesting.

On my ancient ATI graphics card I was mining bitcoins at 200,000k/hash a second versus my quad core 2.2 ghz processors' 4-5,000k/hash. Of course that's a specific operation but still, 40-50x more?

And we're talking, literally, a $100 graphics card which you can put 3-5 on specific motherboards...
The original powered plugins (uad) card was a re-jiggered video card.
Old 11th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
What about using what video card excel at for a new approach to synthesis.. like graphical additive... where frequencies are represented by hue and and filtering of frequencies is shadow

Lots of opportunities for motivated coders i think.. i just gave away 2 ati 4850s.. thats alot of horse power for the right code

Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
LiquidSonics - Software make Reverberate LE, Filtrate LE (both free) and Filtrate (Β£25) that can use CUDA (on nvidia 8 series cards and above).
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
I've often thought that CUDA technology for audio has been an area that has been well over looked.

With TC's Powercore product being dropped from further dev and UAD being one of the only major players one would hope that someone would come along and invest some coin in developing this area further with some new plugins.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
These cards usually come with the loudest fan in a decent audio system. While they are not as loud as they used to be, I still don't want/need graphics with a fan, CUDA or not.

Added to that, developers are reluctant to develop for just one 3rd party spec. It makes them dependend and brings sales limitations.
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
using a software fan controller i can bring my notoriously noisy gtx295 card down to a virtually inaudible level. it's really not an issue.
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nebula for CUDA is still undeveloped. The price for CPU relief is a massive latency increase.
Old 12th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaudio ➑️
I've often thought that CUDA technology for audio has been an area that has been well over looked.

With TC's Powercore product being dropped from further dev and UAD being one of the only major players one would hope that someone would come along and invest some coin in developing this area further with some new plugins.
UAD is probably too invested in the SHARC DSP chips to switch. They did it once already when they switched processors between the UAD1 and 2
Old 12th January 2012
Lives for gear

27 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
GPU vs. CPU
Old 12th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAW PLUS ➑️
These cards usually come with the loudest fan in a decent audio system. While they are not as loud as they used to be, I still don't want/need graphics with a fan, CUDA or not.

Added to that, developers are reluctant to develop for just one 3rd party spec. It makes them dependend and brings sales limitations.
Hi - I'm not sure why the negativity regarding this, but even fan-less graphics cards can support using the GPU for extra computing power.

CUDA vs. the ATI equivalent (last I checked it was called stream) isn't really much of a hassle to harness development wise, I don't believe it would be a massive investment to support both.

And I agree with other comments about not wanting a fan: the treatment you should be using to quiet the computer itself is more than enough for even the loudest graphics processing.

And really, we're talking about 40-50x more processing power than a processor. That leap in computing power would be similar to comparing a processor from 20 years ago to today's midline consumer processors.

If graphics card processing had wider support with audio software, the question wouldn't be IF you'd support it, but how you catered to it. There is a lot of untapped potential there.
Old 13th January 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I like the idea by itself, and we do have (fanless) CUDA cards here (even a Quadro 6000).
However, I prefer native simply because it has so much power already, and keeps things simple and compatible. Sure, Nvidia cards always work, but we have had more issues with Nvidia drivers than with Ati/AMD drivers. Such a CUDA implementation could bring more issues with it.
Regarding developers, I have worked for one and suggested GUI GPU optimation over 10 years ago. Not doable in a support-friendly manner was one of the main reasons.

Regarding silent treatment: I build DAW's on a daily basis, and the larger GPU's cannot be made silent when they need to do some work - at least not control room silent.
Individual systems could be treated, but it would not be a solution for many people.

GPU's do get more silent nowadays, but still they are by far the loudest things in our systems if they have a fan.

But I know loudness is a subjective thing...

Personally I don't mind CUDA support if the issues mentioned above are solved.
Old 13th January 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
GPU have been doing number crunching in WS, Mainframes and Supercomputers for years. However plugins have specific limitations to conform to. I am sure that if it was easy they would have done it before, putting competitors like UAD and even, (to a lesser point), Pro Tools in a tougher spot. But now with AMDs new release maybe things will start to change:
'When AMD unveiled its GCN - Graphics Core Next - new generation graphics processor architecture as a part of its FSA - Fusion System Architecture - at the last June's Fusion Developer Summit in Seattle, it was quite a surprise: the next-in-line future GPU was to be transformed into a general purpose compute coprocessor, with far more flexibility and aim at wider range of applications well beyond graphics only - and, not to forget, easier memory space sharing with the CPU. Half a year later, the first implementation of this new architecture already sees the light.'

Read more: AMD Radeon HD 7970 Review [Part 1/3]: Meet Tahiti XT from the Southern Islands by VR-Zone.com

Z.
πŸ“ Reply