The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which DAW of the 5 listed is your favorite? (For Research Paper)
View Poll Results: Which DAW of the 5 is your favorite to use?
Ableton Live
23 Votes - 13.45%
Apple Logic Studio
55 Votes - 32.16%
Avid Pro Tools
35 Votes - 20.47%
Propellerheads Reason
8 Votes - 4.68%
Steinberg Cubase
60 Votes - 35.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10th November 2011
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years

This is for a research paper guys, so your feedback on this poll would help a lot. I appologize for those who use a different DAW than listed, but my paper only focuses on these particular 5.

Thanks!
Old 10th November 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
A decade ago I would have said Acid pro!
Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
**** you, where are FL Studio and Studio One heh
Gear Addict

For mixing/editing I use Pro Tools so that's what I voted for.

For composing I LOVE LOGIC! Just haven't learned all the ins and outs to edit and mix efficiently in it yet.
Once I know the ins and outs of Logic I will probably leave PT forever, especially since I'm seriously considering closing my studio to the public.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCrane ➑️
**** you, where are FL Studio and Studio One heh
Yeah ! Where is FL Studio ? ...not a user but that software deserves a mention surely ?
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perj ➑️
my paper only focuses on these particular 5.
Mind explain why you focus only on these five? Your professor never heard of Studio One or Reaper?

Anyway, I voted to Cubase, although the #1 fav is Reaper.
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I imagine those are the 5 that take up the most share of the market, though I could be way off. Anywho, I voted for Cubase and have been using it almost exclusively for about 6 years now. I used Logic for a bit and then sold my Mac and never cared to use Pro Tools because of the hardware limitations, though I am going to get a copy of 9 soon.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
I pick Rick Perry... oops.

Quote:
Unscientific pseudo-polls are widespread and sometimes entertaining, but they never provide the kind of information that belongs in a serious report. Examples include 900-number call-in polls, man-on-the-street surveys, many Internet polls, shopping mall polls, and even the classic toilet tissue poll featuring pictures of the candidates on each roll.

One major distinguishing difference between scientific and unscientific polls is who picks the respondents for the survey. In a scientific poll, the pollster identifies and seeks out the people to be interviewed. In an unscientific poll, the respondents usually "volunteer" their opinions, selecting themselves for the poll.
From the National Council on Public Poll's 20 Questions A Journalist Should Ask About Poll Results

20 Questions A Journalist Should Ask About Poll Results | NCPP - National Council on Public Polls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson ➑️
I imagine those are the 5 that take up the most share of the market, though I could be way off. Anywho, I voted for Cubase and have been using it almost exclusively for about 6 years now. I used Logic for a bit and then sold my Mac and never cared to use Pro Tools because of the hardware limitations, though I am going to get a copy of 9 soon.
Don't think so. Sonar has a very large user base (I've read the claim that CW actually has more revenue from software than any other DAW publisher though I'm uncertain as to the particulars; but it certainly dwarfs, for instance, the user base of Ableton), even if one excludes the entry level versions of it and focuses only on Studio and the extras package, Producer -- and as others note, there are others with a large number of users but not listed in the 'poll' question.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'm afraid the statement, "The result is based on the poll performed at Gearslutz.com" immediately disqualifies the paper..........
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson ➑️
I imagine those are the 5 that take up the most share of the market, though I could be way off.

+1000 on that one. Way off it is...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sonar!
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perj
This is for a research paper guys, so your feedback on this poll would help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 ➑️
In an unscientific poll, the respondents usually "volunteer" their opinions, selecting themselves for the poll.
There you go.

Don't know how serious the school this research paper is for, but if it is really research, a self-selected poll does not cut it as "science". And don't forget what happens when the users of a specific software notice your poll and tell everyone on their website to register for Gearslutz to "represent"! heh

A real poll would use a randomizing method to select 100 Gearslutz:

For example, I would pick the 66th name (whatever) in the "Currently Active" list on the GS Home Page. Revisit the home page 100 times over a week, count in that same amount of names on the "Currently Active" list, and you get 100 truly random names.

Send PM's to these 100 and ask them simply "what DAW is your favorite"? (Without limiting the list to your presumptions.) You can send a PM to 5 people at once, so it wouldn't take that long. 100 is a fairly small sample, especially if not everyone writes back, but at least you get to show your professor you understand what Polling is.

The actual results of such a truly random poll would also be of WAY more interest to people like me than yet another limited-choice, self-selected pissing contest that these polls always turn out to be.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
True, time have changed mate, where are Sonar, Reaper, S1, Samplitude, FL, SAW & Cie?
Your research won't be that accurate mate as the game has and is changing with new DAWs.

Like me, use to use Sonar, then Cubase/PTools then now Exclusively S1 & Reaper
Lives for gear

FL Studio,Studio One,SONAR X1, et al,NOT on list of choices = USELESS Research Paper.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Reaper by a long shot and then a little more. After learning it so intricately, the Logic with which other daws are designed baffles me
Old 11th November 2011
restpause
This poll is ridiculous compared to the real world. But I can understand that it was beyond your means to create a poll with about 50 different DAWs.

I use these:

Reaper
MultitrackStudio Pro Plus
EnergyXT
FL Studio
DD Clip Pro

I also have Music Creator 4 (Sonar's "little brother") installed.

I answered "Cubase" on your poll because that's what I used about eleven years ago. Actually, it was "Cubasis VST", but that's the closest. I was trained on ProTools but don't like it. I tried Live but couldn't get into it. Reason started out not even really being a DAW so I never tried it. Logic was way too expensive and a friend of mine had it and it was always crashing. But I did run a German freeware version of Logic called Logic Fun. It was cool but very limited. I don't use a Mac these days so it was not my choice.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

None of the above - I use Nuendo.
I guess you could argue it is the same thing, but believe me - it isn't.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq ➑️
There you go.

Don't know how serious the school this research paper is for, but if it is really research, a self-selected poll does not cut it as "science".
And don't forget what happens when the users of a specific software notice your poll and tell everyone on their website to register for Gearslutz to "represent"! heh

A real poll would use a randomizing method to select 100 Gearslutz:

For example, I would pick the 66th name (whatever) in the "Currently Active" list on the GS Home Page. Revisit the home page 100 times over a week, count in that same amount of names on the "Currently Active" list, and you get 100 truly random names.

Send PM's to these 100 and ask them simply "what DAW is your favorite"? (Without limiting the list to your presumptions.) You can send a PM to 5 people at once, so it wouldn't take that long. 100 is a fairly small sample, especially if not everyone writes back, but at least you get to show your professor you understand what Polling is.

The actual results of such a truly random poll would also be of WAY more interest to people like me than yet another limited-choice, self-selected pissing contest that these polls always turn out to be.
I'm really happy for you, I'ma let you finish -- but Sonar has one of the best user interfaces of all time! Of all time!

heh heh heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Sonar X1
Old 11th November 2011
SLL
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Cubase here all the way ;-)

SLL
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Haha....I can see what happens when the poll doesn't include the participants' favorite.

Few years back, I got census packet from US goverment. I opened up, looked up for Japanese translation. I could answer all the polls in English version, but I checked Japanese version there. There were Chinese, Korean, Spanish, German, French, versions...etc (I believe even Vietnamese was there) but couldn't find Japanese version of the poll.

I immediately shredded the census into pieces, included a sticky note saying "No Japanese translation! FXXX US Govt!" and sent it back.
Old 12th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masaaki ➑️
Haha....I can see what happens when the poll doesn't include the participants' favorite.

Few years back, I got census packet from US goverment. I opened up, looked up for Japanese translation. I could answer all the polls in English version, but I checked Japanese version there. There were Chinese, Korean, Spanish, German, French, versions...etc (I believe even Vietnamese was there) but couldn't find Japanese version of the poll.

I immediately shredded the census into pieces, included a sticky note saying "No Japanese translation! FXXX US Govt!" and sent it back.
Excellent story/reaction
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:

I presume your next step was joining the Tea Party... heh
restpause
Quote:

That's how I feel about the ethnic/racial/linguistic categories. It doesn't include a lot of us so they might as well forget about it. I hear that in some other countries it's based upon income instead which some statisticians say is more valid anyhow.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is for a research paper guys, so your feedback on this poll would help a lot. I appologize for those who use a different DAW than listed, but my paper only focuses on these particular 5.

Thanks!

none of the above for taht list
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Picked pro tools though I could easy have said ableton
Lives for gear

Well......Today I[saturday already here] just wanted to play on my laptop.X1 would not let me record a Kontakt string sample over a rock drum beat.Sure It would let me record MIDI patterns[pre set]with S.Ins.Bass,But oh no, not with Kontakt,using the teeny on screen "keyboard" with the mouse.If I dont have a USB key/controller,no rec.??? This happened before and I only/eventually started rec.ing with the Keyrig49. So I opened Live lite 8,it let me record easily.Sometimes X1 is so convoluted.At least I can "vote",so Live it is[for today]
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
To be fair, I think Reason and Live don't count as DAWs.....
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Which DAW of the 5 is your favorite to use?
Ableton Live
Apple Logic Studio
Avid Pro Tools
Propellerheads Reason
Steinberg Cubase
None of the above. Sorry.
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashman
To be fair, I think Reason and Live don't count as DAWs.....
Digital? Yup.
Audio? Yup.
Workstations? Yup.

Fair? Nope.
Although, Reason is extremely limited/limiting without another DAW to rewire into.
πŸ“ Reply