Quantcast
8 KOMPLETE reasons why I don’t need komplete 8 and you shouldn’t either! - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
8 KOMPLETE reasons why I don’t need komplete 8 and you shouldn’t either!
Old 25th October 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years

original link: 8 KOMPLETE reasons why I don?t need komplete 8 and you shouldn?t either! - NI User Forums

Hey Maschine heads, this is the original Mr. MuhSheen taking time out to chime in on this KOMPLETELY ridiculous 8th version of inKOMPLETE 8 instruments. I want to help a few of you before you loose your house or your girlfriend! You can thank me later though!

First a little background about the author of this post. I make Golden Era Hip hop and R n B music with a combination of MASCHINE, SP1200’s & MPC 60. I originally started making house music in the 80’s with just our TB-303 and TR 909. So I come form a background of “original sonic ingredients and done by hand straight to tape environments. So I wanted to inform some of you “newbies” and “novices” of 8 reasons why you should wring dry your panties about this KOMPLETE 8! HERE WE GO #1

#1 Maschine is a sampler! You can sample all of the sounds you REALLY need

(Duh! That’s right! Hook up your favorite analog synth and sample it. With the new sample mapping system it?s a little easier than before. Any sound KOMPLETE 8 says they have or can make you really can make it yourself with a little self-sacrifice!

2. You really only need 5 go to drum kits not 5,000 sounds!

Most of the “top shelf” producers have 5 maybe 6 drum kits that they use all the time. If they need a different drum sound they’ll tweak the envelopes or pitch; something maschine can do too.

3. You already have every instrument and sound that KOMPLETE 8 has to offer you don’t need another 9,000 more

(Stop and think about it! No, I mean REALLY STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT! Other than Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer piano’s and maybe clavinets emulations, you probably have very good sounding instruments already in your library. Check what I’m saying and really look over all the sounds from all your VST or hardware synths!

#4 Maschine has VST and AU integration; you don’t need 10,000 different sounds!

I know this is obvious but really think about it; any sound you may need is just a VST away if you don’t already have it in your library!

#5. You will have a canned sound if all you use are NI KOMPLETE 8 sounds.

Listen, everyone and their momma is going to buy KOMPLETE 8 and start the obligatory ”who can use that new sound in their record release first competition!” Yeah you know Mr. MuhSheen is right, I’ve seen it and you’ve seen it! By the time you load the 240 gig hardrive on your 250 hard drive some creative person has already used the new MASSIVE or REAKTOR patch! Now here you “Johnny Come Lately” sounding like every latest record already out. Get creative and make you own sound from scratch!

#6. You’re contributing to the NI “gearlust” anticipation in their business plan!

You know, executives in companies like NI do consumer profiles on people like the one on this forum. First they know the minute you buy something you want to know “when will their be an update?” That’s when the NI Maschine (no pun intended) starts going! First, they understand that you guys get a “woody” for every incremental decimal increase like maschine 1.1 or maschine 1.3. Next they really get you “creamy” with the “.5” release! This is the release where they put in every essential and obvious thing that they took out before they even released the product in the beginning . Now, you’re so “grateful” that they added something like “midi” “THEY ADDED MIDI!” O.K. now hold on to your jock DRUM ROLL PLEASE! It’s time for the “Whole number increase” tah dah KOMPLETE 8! Now you’re having “orgasm”, taking out home mortgages, taking your girlfriend to cheap restaurants and generally speaking “spending money some of us don’t really have! KOMPLETELY outrageous!

#7. It cost tooo much! And don’t give me that damn “well $199.00 isn’t a lot of money for me to upgrade!

In today’s economy, you can’t just charge what you always have plus a 20% increase! THere is a lot of competition out there ans all we have to do is let them know that we don’t need their “preset BROWSER integration” (oh by the way, which should have been there in the first place!). I’m willing to tag by hand the 100 out of 8,000 sounds from a quality plug-in like TRillian or Omnisphere! I’ll sit at my computer for an hour and tag my favorite GEIST kits or BPM kits so I can use them in MASCHINE! DON’T THINK WE DON’T HAVE THE DISCIPLINE or PATIENCE (that’s what they’re banking on) In the old days we all did it by hand!

#8. The future of drum sounds is in drum synthesizers not samples!

If you look forward, the trend is to make drum sounds from scratch like in KONG or BPM. You don’t need NI KOMPLETES 5,000 drum sounds. Now I will say you will still need acoustic drums, but let’s face it one look at that STUDIO DRUMMER and you have to say “They gotta be kiddin” BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

9. You should be making music instead of buying new instruments!

If it seems like I’m stretching out my reasons so I can get a nice solid round 8 YOU’RE RIGHT! But I still speak the truth in saying, MAKE SOME MUSIC instead of buying KOMPLETE 8 because you know it going to take you a month of playing around with it could be used to make some tracks!

OOPS I came up with 9 reasons not to buy KOMPLETE; 8 but that’s O.K. because next week guess what, KOMPLETE assin9 is coming out! I HEARD YOU GOT THE FEVER FOR THE FLAVOR, HURRY UP AND GET A SCOOP BEFORE IT’S GONE!
Old 25th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnytracker ➡️
original link: 8 KOMPLETE reasons why I don?t need komplete 8 and you shouldn?t either! - NI User Forums

Hey Maschine heads, this is the original Mr. MuhSheen taking time out to chime in on this KOMPLETELY ridiculous 8th version of inKOMPLETE 8 instruments. I want to help a few of you before you loose your house or your girlfriend! You can thank me later though!

First a little background about the author of this post. I make Golden Era Hip hop and R n B music with a combination of MASCHINE, SP1200’s & MPC 60. I originally started making house music in the 80’s with just our TB-303 and TR 909. So I come form a background of “original sonic ingredients and done by hand straight to tape environments. So I wanted to inform some of you “newbies” and “novices” of 8 reasons why you should wring dry your panties about this KOMPLETE 8! HERE WE GO #1

(Duh! That’s right! Hook up your favorite analog synth and sample it. With the new sample mapping system it?s a little easier than before. Any sound KOMPLETE 8 says they have or can make you really can make it yourself with a little self-sacrifice!

Most of the “top shelf” producers have 5 maybe 6 drum kits that they use all the time. If they need a different drum sound they’ll tweak the envelopes or pitch; something maschine can do too.

3. You already have every instrument and sound that KOMPLETE 8 has to offer you don’t need another 9,000 more

(Stop and think about it! No, I mean REALLY STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT! Other than Fender Rhodes, Wurlitzer piano’s and maybe clavinets emulations, you probably have very good sounding instruments already in your library. Check what I’m saying and really look over all the sounds from all your VST or hardware synths!

I know this is obvious but really think about it; any sound you may need is just a VST away if you don’t already have it in your library!

Listen, everyone and their momma is going to buy KOMPLETE 8 and start the obligatory ”who can use that new sound in their record release first competition!” Yeah you know Mr. MuhSheen is right, I’ve seen it and you’ve seen it! By the time you load the 240 gig hardrive on your 250 hard drive some creative person has already used the new MASSIVE or REAKTOR patch! Now here you “Johnny Come Lately” sounding like every latest record already out. Get creative and make you own sound from scratch!

#6. You’re contributing to the NI “gearlust” anticipation in their business plan!

You know, executives in companies like NI do consumer profiles on people like the one on this forum. First they know the minute you buy something you want to know “when will their be an update?” That’s when the NI Maschine (no pun intended) starts going! First, they understand that you guys get a “woody” for every incremental decimal increase like maschine 1.1 or maschine 1.3. Next they really get you “creamy” with the “.5” release! This is the release where they put in every essential and obvious thing that they took out before they even released the product in the beginning . Now, you’re so “grateful” that they added something like “midi” “THEY ADDED MIDI!” O.K. now hold on to your jock DRUM ROLL PLEASE! It’s time for the “Whole number increase” tah dah KOMPLETE 8! Now you’re having “orgasm”, taking out home mortgages, taking your girlfriend to cheap restaurants and generally speaking “spending money some of us don’t really have! KOMPLETELY outrageous!

#7. It cost tooo much! And don’t give me that damn “well $199.00 isn’t a lot of money for me to upgrade!

In today’s economy, you can’t just charge what you always have plus a 20% increase! THere is a lot of competition out there ans all we have to do is let them know that we don’t need their “preset BROWSER integration” (oh by the way, which should have been there in the first place!). I’m willing to tag by hand the 100 out of 8,000 sounds from a quality plug-in like TRillian or Omnisphere! I’ll sit at my computer for an hour and tag my favorite GEIST kits or BPM kits so I can use them in MASCHINE! DON’T THINK WE DON’T HAVE THE DISCIPLINE or PATIENCE (that’s what they’re banking on) In the old days we all did it by hand!

If you look forward, the trend is to make drum sounds from scratch like in KONG or BPM. You don’t need NI KOMPLETES 5,000 drum sounds. Now I will say you will still need acoustic drums, but let’s face it one look at that STUDIO DRUMMER and you have to say “They gotta be kiddin” BEEN THERE DONE THAT!

If it seems like I’m stretching out my reasons so I can get a nice solid round 8 YOU’RE RIGHT! But I still speak the truth in saying, MAKE SOME MUSIC instead of buying KOMPLETE 8 because you know it going to take you a month of playing around with it could be used to make some tracks!

OOPS I came up with 9 reasons not to buy KOMPLETE; 8 but that’s O.K. because next week guess what, KOMPLETE assin9 is coming out! I HEARD YOU GOT THE FEVER FOR THE FLAVOR, HURRY UP AND GET A SCOOP BEFORE IT’S GONE!
Oh, brother. I work part time for EW but I am still going to answer this because it is so unbalanced.

1. That takes a lot of time and for working pros, our time is more valuable than a relatively small expenditure.

2. Maybe most of the "top shelf producers" in the little world you work in only use 5 but I know many who use a lot more.

3.+ 4. Some may, many may not or they may prefer these in certain circumstances.

5. Most buyers will mix it with sounds that are not out of Komplete 8. Also,if you use your own fx and alter patches, it can be made to sound individual.

6. That is true of any developer who puts out new versions of their products. No one puts a gun to anyone's head and the N.I. guys are good people who work hard and deserve to be successful, as is East West btw.

7. I guess not everyone is as smart and self-disciplined as you are. Thank the lord you are here to save us from ourselves.

8. No one, including you, knows what the future is, which is why the pawn shops used to be full of old drum machines that now have become prized again. Read Malcolm Gladwell's "The Tipping Point."

9. I was not aware it was an either/or proposition. Somehow over the years I have managed to do both. I suggest you take your own advice and spend more time making music and less making negative posts like this.
Old 26th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years

So when your exact post gets locked at the NI site you decide to copy and paste it here.

The least you could do this time around is post your own work to demonstrate why I don't need or want more tools than you.

I would love to hear your music.

I guess since "everyone and their momma" have explored every possible sonic variation of Reaktor I'll just stick to the Fender, Wurlitzer and Clavinet.

Thanks a lot for suggesting what I need and don't need. You truly are a lifesaver. After 35 years of this I'm glad you have shown me the light.
Lives for gear

Look man, I use SONAR X1 P.EXP. and I find it fine,good even.Im interested in KOMPLETE 8,so I just bought the "taster" -K.8"Elements" $59 download.The strings alone were WAY better than ANY such VSTi's in X1.Some of us actually have and come from a diff. angle than what is possibly in your image of "who" your Aiming your NEW thread at.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Maratone

Yes I can clearly see that Max Martin isn't "top shelf" and really...all he needed was Maschine, 5 drum kits...plus Fender, Wurlitzer and a Clavinet.heh

I'm confused. You enlightened the masses at the NI forum with the above post a few months ago until it was locked. Then on 10/13/11 you started this post:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...nstrument.html But it didn't go very far. So after asking "Would you recommend Komplete 8" you decided it was easier to copy and paste and hope for more replies?

You initiated this post and seem to enjoy all the replies
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music...gearslutz.html
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i got Komplete 4 many years ago & still haven't used half the stuff in it.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It was a funny read at least. I agree with the base sentiment just not the details.

All the online music forums I used to enjoy have turned into umpteen variations of the Synth Shopping Channel. How tedious.

However NI's the last company I'd pick on for overselling. For the pretty small core audience that really does use what they offer with upgrades, the amount of work and quality offered for the money is astounding.

It is true though that 99% of the home shoppers who just like buying stuff as their laziest form of entertainment will never see or use 99.9% of what NI offers in an upgrade.

So yeah, at that level of discourse you'd be better off buying your big booty girlfriend a Zirconium ring. And some vinyl boots. Better way to spend the money and evening.
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It's hard to comprehend the sheer amount of fail in that post. Every thread you have started recently has been, to put it simply, ridiculous.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I upgraded to Komplete 8 Ultimate because I use Kontakt all the time and I want the latest version (pretty sure any new library will NOT be backward-compatible.) I could have opted for the standard version, but I really like Session Strings Pro. The $560 upgrade fee wasn't easy to swallow, but upgrading Kontakt alone (if that was even possible...) and buying Session Strings Pro would have actually cost me more. Yes, it's true I got a ton of stuff I'll probably never use and I ton of stuff I already had (since Absynth, Massive, Reaktor, Battery etc. have NOT been upgraded. Your mileage, however, may vary.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacJDean ➡️
It's hard to comprehend the sheer amount of fail in that post. Every thread you have started recently has been, to put it simply, ridiculous.
"Amount of fail?" What the heck is that?
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Fail, as in failure. Something us younguns cooked up.
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaacJDean ➡️
Fail, as in failure. Something us younguns cooked up.
Yep, the destruction of the English language...
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I think you are talking about Komplete 10 since Maschine isn't in Komplete 8.
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Can someone please block this troll?
Or at least prevent him from creating new threads.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️
+1 Please. It's too early in the day to read that crap.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Would you really stand up in front of live people and slobber on yourself like that? Sheesh, go fix world hunger or the housing market, being the genius that you are.
L.
Old 26th October 2011
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:

this is a lot of bull sh!t right here!!!

suggesting not having a lot sounds is like telling a samplist... you do not need a lot records... just keep sampling the same record over and over again...

ok?
Old 26th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
That's a lot of calories being burned just to tell people not to buy something. Weird
Old 27th October 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistortingJack ➡️

Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'll be honest, I strongly disagree.

You may not need a lot of sounds, but others do. You've trialled for 20 years or however you say it's been but I haven't. Why pay $800 for 40 sounds when you can pay $800 for 10000 sounds?

You might know the sounds you'd like to use, but some don't. Some know what sounds they use and get in and do it, others are inspired by new sounds. A simple new sound could mean nothing to you, but could be exciting to someone else and inspire them for new songwriting ideas... Buying Stormdrum and trying it out gave me several new ideas for a demo, some even styles I never would have considered trying if it wasn't for being inspired by that program.

Sure, it Komplete might not be good for you, and you may prefer all your songs to sound the same, but other musicians like to explore, and this is where Komplete comes in very handy.

Cheers.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Hi,

I think his post is fair enough. Its good to question a software purchase by analyzing if you really need it or if you could do things yourself creatively.
I think there are probably people that do stay away from these software packages for the reasons stated and there are others that embrace this software and prosper. There is no right or wrong answer in my opinion. I do object to his post being censored. People have a right to speak out their opinions however much you may disagree with them. I myself do have an ambivalence to the subject of sound packaged software.
Old 27th October 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For me, it's always been pretty simple: it's useful to spend money on the extensive effort required to create a full-featured sample-based emulation of a non-electronic instrument.

Be it Kontakt or Battery 3, there's huge flexibility in what both provide for sample control and layering. The best NI sound packs make extensive use of that technology.

I don't have Maschine but if I did, K8's integration with it alone is worth the upgrade price.

On top of that, I consider upgrading not just the one-time purchase of new features, but investment and participation in a year's worth of continuing support of the whole suite. Access to any one major update over the year of any of the core synths is definitely worth the cost.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicBoy ➡️
Hi,

I think his post is fair enough. Its good to question a software purchase by analyzing if you really need it or if you could do things yourself creatively.
I think there are probably people that do stay away from these software packages for the reasons stated and there are others that embrace this software and prosper. There is no right or wrong answer in my opinion. I do object to his post being censored. People have a right to speak out their opinions however much you may disagree with them. I myself do have an ambivalence to the subject of sound packaged software.
I think the reason people were asking for censure wasn't because of the post itself, but because he was posting inflammatory material elsewhere and when it got locked he brought the identical topic (wording & all) here to pick up the thread. GS is open to discussion last I checked, but maybe not a place to pick up on a failed flame war. If you read closely you'll see that comparisons were made to another thread he started on GS as well...where he does exactly the same thing (copy/paste material to make an inflammatory post and then just dip in to keep the flames stoked).
Old 28th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis ➡️
I think the reason people were asking for censure wasn't because of the post itself, but because he was posting inflammatory material elsewhere and when it got locked he brought the identical topic (wording & all) here to pick up the thread. GS is open to discussion last I checked, but maybe not a place to pick up on a failed flame war. If you read closely you'll see that comparisons were made to another thread he started on GS as well...where he does exactly the same thing (copy/paste material to make an inflammatory post and then just dip in to keep the flames stoked).
Exactly.
Old 28th October 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
@op. Cool bro, Thank you for taking time to share your insights but I'm not sure if your post will keep people from enjoying NI Komplete.

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 28th October 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
If you're making golden era hip-hop, you haven't needed to buy anything new from the last 20 years.

I have clients that want **** done quickly, so I don't have time to sit and develop new sounds on my own from the same old rehashed crap they've been hearing for the last few years. I should be buying sounds so that I can get to work, not instead of getting to work.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i have komplete 7 and i love it. the more the better
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Have Komplete 8 ultimate - and while I have some gripes about it - none of them are featured in the above post.

My gripes entirely centre on NI not having a half way house upgrade path for folks who had komplete 7 and had a lot of the bits that got upgrades and/or added into komplete 8 ultimate, so potentially I have a load of duplicate licenses that Im trying to flog off to my co-producer or anyone else

Its a total BS post anyway that might be true for a few people and their production styles etc but can hardly be taken to be applicable for everyone and the work they do (some people are ghost/contract writers/producers and need a huge sound palette etc)
Old 26th March 2012
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
WTF!!

haha...has to be one of the ****est post I've ever read!
Dumbass
Old 26th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by avarice ➡️
haha...has to be one of the ****est post I've ever read!
Dumbass
+1
Agree
Jtracker who made you the judge & jury,for users buying decisions?
I've had K5, K6,K7 and now have K8U and it's my favorite of them all.
Different people have different needs,uses and don't want to do as some lame poster who thinks he knows what's best for everyone and starts posting such moronic sh*t in a thread.
go make us sum lame original machine beatz bro
lol
📝 Reply