The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
NI Kore Discontinued
Old 9th June 2011
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Exclamation NI Kore Discontinued

I haven't seen this posted yet, if it has been then please delete this thread.

Quote:
Native Instruments has decided to discontinue the KORE product range, in order to utilize its development resources in the best interest of its wider userbase.

KORE 2 will be supported through further maintenance updates for the time being, with 64-bit plugin versions of KORE 2 for Windows and Mac OS X currently in development. Technical support for KORE will also continue to be available.

All owners of the full versions of KORE 1 or KORE 2 (software edition or hardware version) can purchase MASCHINE at a special crossgrade price of $449 / €399.
NATIVE INSTRUMENTS : HOME | HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE FOR MUSICIANS, PRODUCERS, DJS, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYERS
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Pissed off about this !!! i use there kore player on all my productions
Old 9th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
They still maintain and support it, they just don't sell it anymore. You will even get a 64 bit update...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
And realistically in the future you'd just have to load the corresponding VI to access the same soundsets, so when Kore does finally stop working in your chosen DAW (~2 years from now imo) the only real loss is the centralized location of all presets. Imo they're looking to replace Kore with Maschine anyway...
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by valis ➑️
Imo they're looking to replace Kore with Maschine anyway...
its weird they did this. i really like kore 2.

maschine and kore 2 are different beasts.

kore 2 is unlike anything else on the market,
they must have some kind of other replacement on the cards.

all the kore soundpacks are gone too-
if you take a look at their forums some people are pretty cheesed.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Well I think Kore was an attempt to appeal to a different kind of user than Komplete is for, certainly not the same usage as Maschine but the latter seems to be the major growth area for them lately so...just my 2 cents. I would guess that Kore's income was a deciding factor, though I do hope for the sake of the people who like it (like you) that they do have a new product in the works but yuo'd think they'd save this announcement for the release of that rather than offering a crossgrade to Maschine.
Old 9th June 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Kore 2 player NEVER worked in pro tools and I had bought some sound packs I could never use. Glad to see it going away.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Well I think Kore was an attempt to appeal to a different kind of user than Komplete is for...
In "Komplete" disagreement with you here. IMO Kore was a brilliant idea but it should never have been tied to a "dongle" in the first place. It should have promoted the use of many different types of controllers. It should have been included as a freebie to promote the Komplete package and encourage people to buy all the synths they make.

It shouldn't have tried to force synths into a proprietary patch format, requiring conversion. Any DAW respects whatever method the individual VST uses for patch management, so why couldn't Kore?

So instead they managed to kill both Phrazor AND Kore. Congrats.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Not sure where you got the idea that I thought Kore was a...non-brilliant idea? Just remarking based on what they've released and the discussions on the NI forums. The overlap between Kore users and Komplete users seems to be smaller than hoped for.

I agree with you about the file formats though, if it was somehow compatible with the general vst/au standards and let you index *anything* you had installed and setup easy access for the control mapping.... I think even the hardware would have been popular. And several people have commented over the years that they should make the software free just without the full library to facilitate uptake of their kore expansion packs.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
They removed all the instruments and effects add-ons! I was thinking about getting the northern india set but it is no longer available.

What are we supposed to use the komplete $60 voucher for now?

Is komplete 7 being marked down for losing this major feature?
Lives for gear

5 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Look, NI is finding new and improved ways to get me upset.

Or, as they call it, Thursday...

Oh, and BTW, what would I need Maschine for? I'm a composer, not a DJ.
Lives for gear

14 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well I think Kore was an attempt to appeal to a different kind of user than Komplete is for, certainly not the same usage as Maschine but the latter seems to be the major growth area for them lately so...just my 2 cents. I would guess that Kore's income was a deciding factor, though I do hope for the sake of the people who like it (like you) that they do have a new product in the works but yuo'd think they'd save this announcement for the release of that rather than offering a crossgrade to Maschine.
I'm surprised that they announced it only now. It was effectively discontinued almost 2 years ago.

I ordered Kore 2 sometime around October 2009, waited until December 2009, and was constantly told they had the DVD's on back order. I canceled the order in January 2010 and forgot about the whole thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
B*llocks - eBay values are going to be way down now - don't even use it much - and when I did try it last the software kept crashing all the time.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Something I noticed today was an email ad for this new compressor plugin.
$100US each or $299 for the pack of three!
I have Kore2 and the Kore controller which I've had now for a few years along with Komplete. It's just OK stuff....not stellar. Most of the sounds are old and stale now anyway....
I do hope they at least come up with a 64bit upgrade before they stop supporting it and maybe make existing Kore sounds work in Kontakt or something but it looks like NI is just moving on to the lucrative plugin world!
We'll probably see all sorts of famous people plugin suites from them now like Steinberg/Yamaha are doing with their Neve stuff....
I'll still use they're sound sets and GR4 is still viable so maybe they just needed to pare down they're product list a little and Kore has been sort of lost in the market trend.
I'm pretty much done with any new NI products anyway as my overall experience and useability with them has never been higher than a 5 and the support and forum help never above a 2 if even that!
Maybe it's just time for a change over there anyway!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugol ➑️
B*llocks - eBay values are going to be way down now - don't even use it much - and when I did try it last the software kept crashing all the time.
Maybe if we hold onto the software and hardware it will become vintage and at some point everybody will want that NI sound!
LOL
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Every Komplete product is now 64bit so that means their UI code and all engines are ported over, they just need to bring Kore's code to completion with those changes and finalize any driver support. I would imagine that would still work through Lion though there may be DAW-specific bugs/changes that mean moving your Kore stuff over to VE Pro or another machine eventually. Though if I were a Kore owner I'd probably start thinking of other options too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmukilteo ➑️
Maybe if we hold onto the software and hardware it will become vintage and at some point everybody will want that NI sound!
LOL
Here's hoping! Oh well at least it looks fairly pretty sitting on my desk - going mostly ITB is very depressing unless you have some controls and illuminated stuff to impress your mates.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPi61 ➑️
Actually Maschine is a great tool for all sequence & sample duties, one of the more inspiring products I've used in the last 10 years.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what would I need Maschine for? I'm a composer, not a DJ.
LOL Maschine has not much to do with being a "DJ". You might be confusing it with Traktor?

Here's what NI says about Kore's discontinuation:
"Development resources will be refocused from Kore to Maschine and its popular instrument hosting features. Maschine will be enhanced with specific preset management and parameter mapping features for Komplete and individual NI instruments in the upcoming free 1.7 update, and will be further expanded in its role as the central NI instruments host in the future."
NI User Forums - Announcements in Forum : KORE

"As Maschine has developed into a host for NI instruments due to popular demand from its already very sizable userbase, the feature set and purpose of Maschine and Kore would have been bound to overlap more and more in the future. In order not to create redundancy, but rather invest all resources into one single host system and expand it as efficiently as possible, the decision was ultimately made to focus future development resources to Maschine"
NI User Forums - View Single Post - Kore discontinuation
Old 10th June 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
super bummer. deep freq is one of my fav things. maschine is cool but it doesn't exactly replace what kore does.

there's a thread at NI forum makes for some good reading. a facebook page has started up also. lot's of negative sauce being thrown NI's way for how they are handling this.

Kore discontinuation - NI User Forums
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Not sure where you got the idea that I thought Kore was a...non-brilliant idea? Just remarking based on what they've released and the discussions on the NI forums. The overlap between Kore users and Komplete users seems to be smaller than hoped for.
Sorry, no dis meant. I was just disagreeing with you about how it should in fact have been more valuable to Komplete users; but perhaps you meant to say that it was NI's way of trying to get non-Komplete users to jump on the Komplete bandwagon?

Anyway, I didn't know about how that overlap was smaller but I'm not surprised; I come from a time when "Komplete" really meant everything NI made. With Kore, suddenly Komplete became "Sort-of-Komplete". I'm sure lots of Komplete users didn't buy the idea of paying for something that claimed to be a core NI technology tied to a custom hardware controller after paying for several updates in a row that didn't offer significantly more than previous versions (and in fact dropped support for some interesting creative tools).

The Kore fiasco really feels like NI is cutting off the nose to spite the face. IMO, it's a rather short-sighted move.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the morph feature is just awesome. there's nothing else that does that... it's crazy.
i understand the reasons they gave for dropping it but they didn't do a good job of handling the situation.. i just found out about it today and only because someone sent me a link to the NI forum thread about it.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertone ➑️
Anyway, I didn't know about how that overlap was smaller but I'm not surprised; I come from a time when "Komplete" really meant everything NI made. With Kore, suddenly Komplete became "Sort-of-Komplete". I'm sure lots of Komplete users didn't buy the idea of paying for something that claimed to be a core NI technology tied to a custom hardware controller after paying for several updates in a row that didn't offer significantly more than previous versions (and in fact dropped support for some interesting creative tools).
Right, people tend to either buy Komplete or Kore depending on their needs and of course whether they actually know what they're buying at the time. So preset people have to choose between the two whereas tweakers avoided Kore. Imo it should have been included with Komplete on the software side with a reasonable upgrade fee to gain access to the hardware.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I hope you say that in jest...because even at it's current version with VST hosting is is a lot more. The 8 buttons and 8 switches are all assignable just like Kore.

NI is actually attempting to turn Kore into Maschine. How far they go with that concept remains uncertain. At first I thought it could be 100% same functions as Kore.

But with Yesterdays additional information it is apparent 100% is a total fantasy. Maybe 50% of the Kore functions in Maschine?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Just another NI ploy to get another $300 or $400 dollars out of your pocket into theirs for more useless softsynths.
Same tactic as Protools and Waves....I wanna make a record, buy into the hype....make useless samples of nonsense music in your basement....I'm gonna be a star.....Gheez..
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
I laugh because early this year i posted a question of why have both kore 2 and machine with the 1.6 update. of course because i am new to this place no one really respond. but as you see now my prediction and thoughts lead to the ending of kore product line. It's sad cause right now i have both machine and kore 2 ( the only reason i got the kore was because of the deal having kore and komplete 6) i see kore more as a sound designer which would be coo to mix different sounding synth or sound in general. But over all i think that native instruments stuff is redundant anyways, with maschine/ Battery / kontakt/ absynth/ Fm 8.. list can go on but they seem to repeat an idea. ( at least i think their synths do)
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
oh if you want to see the post i put even with all the spelling errors.. it's right here

maschine 1.6 or kore or is it the same thing!?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Right, people tend to either buy Komplete or Kore depending on their needs and of course whether they actually know what they're buying at the time. So preset people have to choose between the two whereas tweakers avoided Kore. Imo it should have been included with Komplete on the software side with a reasonable upgrade fee to gain access to the hardware.
Kore and Komplete are two different things, Kore took its sound from the engine of the synths included in the Komplete bundle and thats very clear however those preset took on a new life of their own using all the layering & morphing capabilities Kore 2 had to offer.

Im a tweaker and i love Kore, you could really tweak with kore, as matter fact i have all my VIs custom map to the Kore 2 controller, and it is really easy to use and setup.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I think that dumping Kore is a big mistake. Today, with the even growing number of softsynths and effects, there's the need of a centralised sound hub. Today more than ever. And Kore is, was, this and a lot more.
I would personally have developed Kore instead of suiciding it.
Maschine is a different thing. Cool but not for every workflow. Kore owns every NI instrument metadata and I quite never open any other NI instrument other than Kore (I own Komplete, Kore, Maschine). This is my opinion at present.
Different thing is if they will port Kore developement into Maschine. If they will put sound browser and other Kore tools inside Maschine then I could welcome this option. in this case unifying two different developement teams into one would make sense.
I don't know what to say. Besides any financial or marketing reason, I think that at Native Instruments they are quite missing the point.
Musicians need workflow and NI chose to follow the opposite direction.
If I want to open a compressor I need to open Guitar Rig (!). Same if I want to use Traktor effects...
In order to use the Mouth, Finger and Razor synth I need to open Reaktor...come on! These are all workflow killers. If I want to play instruments I need to open a drum maschine...
And now Kore. You can think all you want but Kore is (was!) a very smart way to handle thousands of patches in a very smooth way.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
fiasco |fēˈaskō|
noun ( pl. -cos)
a thing that is a complete failure, esp. in a ludicrous or humiliating way :
his plans turned into a fiasco.

-SD
πŸ“ Reply