The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 1 week ago
  #5401
And another contender appears…



A bit pricey for a 2-2 interface, but the onboard DSP (EQ + compression) is unique at this price point, and the ability to change routings and DSP settings natively on the iPad.

Just one mic preamp though. I’m sure there will be additional versions in the future with more I/O.

As for aesthetics, it certainly has… a look
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #5402
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
In the mean time, RME Digiface USB catches every converter I own, pipes it down that simple ass USB 2.0 cord... incredible.
I also use Digiface Usb, it rocks! Just have problem finding outputs, i have ada8200 but would like something with better quality. I also have asp800 but that doesnt have DA. Tought about buying audiofuse 8pre but there is not enough info about it. Do you have any idea?
Old 3 days ago
  #5403
Gear Head
 
Hey folks, just found this thread and my gear nerd brain is in heaven. A quick question for those who may be able to speak to it:

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1 (USB 2.0) for all my tracking, monitoring, reamping, etc. right now. I have a good amount of outboard gear that I usually use during the recording and engineering process, not so much the mixing process. However, I do have an outboard Bus comp that I run my full session through.

In order to improve latency (primarily through driver stability) and speed, I've been debating getting a PCIe card w/ Firewire 800 connector, as I've looked up online that Firewire 800 can actually run faster than USB 2.0. I'm thinking I buy an RME Fireface 800 and run that into the PCIe, and have that replace everything.

Any advice on this? I primarily care about driver stability because the latency on my mixbus outboard gear loop with the Focusrite during mixes is just insane.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #5404
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleCriminal ➡️
Hey folks, just found this thread and my gear nerd brain is in heaven. A quick question for those who may be able to speak to it:

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1 (USB 2.0) for all my tracking, monitoring, reamping, etc. right now. I have a good amount of outboard gear that I usually use during the recording and engineering process, not so much the mixing process. However, I do have an outboard Bus comp that I run my full session through.

In order to improve latency (primarily through driver stability) and speed, I've been debating getting a PCIe card w/ Firewire 800 connector, as I've looked up online that Firewire 800 can actually run faster than USB 2.0. I'm thinking I buy an RME Fireface 800 and run that into the PCIe, and have that replace everything.

Any advice on this? I primarily care about driver stability because the latency on my mixbus outboard gear loop with the Focusrite during mixes is just insane.

FW is a dead protocol these days so I’d avoid if buying new. Modern USB-2/3 drivers are very fast these days from the likes of RME etc so no worries there with regard to latency.

TB has taken over from FW and CAN provide good results too.
Interesting that RME haven’t gone TB.

M
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
  #5405
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
FW is a dead protocol these days so I’d avoid if buying new. Modern USB-2/3 drivers are very fast these days from the likes of RME etc so no worries there with regard to latency.

TB has taken over from FW and CAN provide good results too.
Interesting that RME haven’t gone TB.

M
They have gone TB on their higher channel count interfaces like the 188-Channel Fireface UFX+

I'll just put this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIf4QGYs-c
Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
  #5406
Lives for gear
 
TAFKAT's Avatar
 
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
FW is a dead protocol these days so I’d avoid if buying new. Modern USB-2/3 drivers are very fast these days from the likes of RME etc so no worries there with regard to latency.

TB has taken over from FW and CAN provide good results too.
Interesting that RME haven’t gone TB.

M
RME didn't really embrace TB for numerous reasons, Matthias gives some detail on my pod cast if interested.

FWIW - TB has always been, and remains a bit of a cluster on Windows IMO , with multiple curves being navigated between various versions of the protocol. I had an early TB2 setup on a dev system that even worked in Windows 7 on both RME and Lynx interfaces , but that interface card was almost unicorn rare.

There are 2 revisions of TB3, where I had good success with the prior ( Alpine Ridge ), but mixed on the later ( Titan Ridge ). Now TB4 adds a few additional curves regards compatibility for TB2 interfaces , as the current TB3 to TB2 interfaces are not guaranteed to work.

RME has recently EOL'ed the UFX+ , Focusrite shifted focus off TB for their Clarett range , and from your recent experience with the UA, something has shifted there performance wise, so its not a given that TB is necessarily better. We also aren't seeing a flood of new TB interfaces coming to market , so lets say I am far from convinced that will change in future.

@ PaleCriminal ,

If going PCIe , get a PCIe HDSPe card with what ever is the best configuration for you, and hook it up with an ADAT AD/DA ( upto 48K / 96K ), or and HSPe AES/MADI FX for upt to 192K with a matching AD/DA.

Ferrofish has good solutions for both ADAT and MADI.

FF800 were great for their time, but are over 15 years old , and didn't have any better performance under FF800 than FF400, nor are they as fast as the current RME USB 2.0 interfaces.

Times have moved on :-)


Last edited by TAFKAT; 8 hours ago at 08:51 AM.. Reason: Amended typo's
Old 6 hours ago | Show parent
  #5407
Lives for gear
 
norbury brook's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️
RME didn't really embrace TB for numerous reasons, Matthias gives some detail on my pod cast if interested.

FWIW - TB has always been, and remains a bit of a cluster on Windows IMO , with multiple curves being navigated between various versions of the protocol. I had an early TB2 setup on a dev system that even worked in Windows 7 on both RME and Lynx interfaces , but that interface card was almost unicorn rare.

There are 2 revisions of TB3, where I had good success with the prior ( Alpine Ridge ), but mixed on the later ( Titan Ridge ). Now TB4 adds a few additional curves regards compatibility for TB2 interfaces , as the current TB3 to TB2 interfaces are not guaranteed to work.

RME has recently EOL'ed the UFX+ , Focusrite shifted focus off TB for their Clarett range , and from your recent experience with the UA, something has shifted there performance wise, so its not a given that TB is necessarily better. We also aren't seeing a flood of new TB interfaces coming to market , so lets say I am far from convinced that will change in future.

@ PaleCriminal ,

If going PCIe , get a PCIe HDSPe card with what ever is the best configuration for you, and hook it up with an ADAT AD/DA ( upto 48K / 96K ), or and HSPe AES/MADI FX for upt to 192K with a matching AD/DA.

Ferrofish has good solutions for both ADAT and MADI.

FF800 were great for their time, but are over 15 years old , and didn't have any better performance under FF800 than FF400, nor are they as fast as the current RME USB 2.0 interfaces.

Times have moved on :-)

Vin.

I've just bought a ferrofish and an HSPe card

I'm interested to see how it compares with my AXR4 USB-3 (C) interface in both performance and sound quality

I know the RME will give me years of professional service and have good resale value regardless though


Stay well.





M
Old 4 hours ago
  #5408
Gear Head
 
Thanks all!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 2623 views: 511765
Avatar for didier.brest
didier.brest 1 week ago
replies: 61 views: 14654
Avatar for Transistor
Transistor 21st February 2015
replies: 486 views: 136118
Avatar for blackcom
blackcom 14th September 2020
replies: 119 views: 26304
Avatar for LarsErik
LarsErik 2nd February 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump