The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 16th September 2022
And another contender appears…

A bit pricey for a 2-2 interface, but the onboard DSP (EQ + compression) is unique at this price point, and the ability to change routings and DSP settings natively on the iPad.

Just one mic preamp though. I’m sure there will be additional versions in the future with more I/O.

As for aesthetics, it certainly has… a look
Old 18th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
In the mean time, RME Digiface USB catches every converter I own, pipes it down that simple ass USB 2.0 cord... incredible.
I also use Digiface Usb, it rocks! Just have problem finding outputs, i have ada8200 but would like something with better quality. I also have asp800 but that doesnt have DA. Tought about buying audiofuse 8pre but there is not enough info about it. Do you have any idea?
Old 23rd September 2022
Gear Head

Hey folks, just found this thread and my gear nerd brain is in heaven. A quick question for those who may be able to speak to it:

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1 (USB 2.0) for all my tracking, monitoring, reamping, etc. right now. I have a good amount of outboard gear that I usually use during the recording and engineering process, not so much the mixing process. However, I do have an outboard Bus comp that I run my full session through.

In order to improve latency (primarily through driver stability) and speed, I've been debating getting a PCIe card w/ Firewire 800 connector, as I've looked up online that Firewire 800 can actually run faster than USB 2.0. I'm thinking I buy an RME Fireface 800 and run that into the PCIe, and have that replace everything.

Any advice on this? I primarily care about driver stability because the latency on my mixbus outboard gear loop with the Focusrite during mixes is just insane.
Old 24th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleCriminal ➡️
Hey folks, just found this thread and my gear nerd brain is in heaven. A quick question for those who may be able to speak to it:

I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 Gen 1 (USB 2.0) for all my tracking, monitoring, reamping, etc. right now. I have a good amount of outboard gear that I usually use during the recording and engineering process, not so much the mixing process. However, I do have an outboard Bus comp that I run my full session through.

In order to improve latency (primarily through driver stability) and speed, I've been debating getting a PCIe card w/ Firewire 800 connector, as I've looked up online that Firewire 800 can actually run faster than USB 2.0. I'm thinking I buy an RME Fireface 800 and run that into the PCIe, and have that replace everything.

Any advice on this? I primarily care about driver stability because the latency on my mixbus outboard gear loop with the Focusrite during mixes is just insane.

FW is a dead protocol these days so I’d avoid if buying new. Modern USB-2/3 drivers are very fast these days from the likes of RME etc so no worries there with regard to latency.

TB has taken over from FW and CAN provide good results too.
Interesting that RME haven’t gone TB.

M
Old 24th September 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
FW is a dead protocol these days so I’d avoid if buying new. Modern USB-2/3 drivers are very fast these days from the likes of RME etc so no worries there with regard to latency.

M
They have gone TB on their higher channel count interfaces like the 188-Channel Fireface UFX+

I'll just put this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSIf4QGYs-c
Old 26th September 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:

M
RME didn't really embrace TB for numerous reasons, Matthias gives some detail on my pod cast if interested.

FWIW - TB has always been, and remains a bit of a cluster on Windows IMO , with multiple curves being navigated between various versions of the protocol. I had an early TB2 setup on a dev system that even worked in Windows 7 on both RME and Lynx interfaces , but that interface card was almost unicorn rare.

There are 2 revisions of TB3, where I had good success with the prior ( Alpine Ridge ), but mixed on the later ( Titan Ridge ). Now TB4 adds a few additional curves regards compatibility for TB2 interfaces , as the current TB3 to TB2 interfaces are not guaranteed to work.

RME has recently EOL'ed the UFX+ , Focusrite shifted focus off TB for their Clarett range , and from your recent experience with the UA, something has shifted there performance wise, so its not a given that TB is necessarily better. We also aren't seeing a flood of new TB interfaces coming to market , so lets say I am far from convinced that will change in future.

@ PaleCriminal ,

If going PCIe , get a PCIe HDSPe card with what ever is the best configuration for you, and hook it up with an ADAT AD/DA ( upto 48K / 96K ), or an HDSPe AES/MADI FX for upto 192K with a matching AD/DA.

Ferrofish has good solutions for both ADAT and MADI.

FF800 were great for their time, but are over 15 years old , and didn't have any better performance under FF800 than FF400, nor are they as fast as the current RME USB 2.0 interfaces.

Times have moved on :-)

Last edited by TAFKAT; 26th September 2022 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: Amended typo's
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️
RME didn't really embrace TB for numerous reasons, Matthias gives some detail on my pod cast if interested.

FWIW - TB has always been, and remains a bit of a cluster on Windows IMO , with multiple curves being navigated between various versions of the protocol. I had an early TB2 setup on a dev system that even worked in Windows 7 on both RME and Lynx interfaces , but that interface card was almost unicorn rare.

There are 2 revisions of TB3, where I had good success with the prior ( Alpine Ridge ), but mixed on the later ( Titan Ridge ). Now TB4 adds a few additional curves regards compatibility for TB2 interfaces , as the current TB3 to TB2 interfaces are not guaranteed to work.

RME has recently EOL'ed the UFX+ , Focusrite shifted focus off TB for their Clarett range , and from your recent experience with the UA, something has shifted there performance wise, so its not a given that TB is necessarily better. We also aren't seeing a flood of new TB interfaces coming to market , so lets say I am far from convinced that will change in future.

@ PaleCriminal ,

If going PCIe , get a PCIe HDSPe card with what ever is the best configuration for you, and hook it up with an ADAT AD/DA ( upto 48K / 96K ), or and HSPe AES/MADI FX for upt to 192K with a matching AD/DA.

Ferrofish has good solutions for both ADAT and MADI.

FF800 were great for their time, but are over 15 years old , and didn't have any better performance under FF800 than FF400, nor are they as fast as the current RME USB 2.0 interfaces.

Times have moved on :-)

Vin.

I've just bought a ferrofish and an HSPe card

I'm interested to see how it compares with my AXR4 USB-3 (C) interface in both performance and sound quality

I know the RME will give me years of professional service and have good resale value regardless though

Stay well.

M
Old 26th September 2022
Gear Head

Thanks all!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Vin.

Hey Marcus,

Ha, your ears must have been ringing ;-)

Quote:
I'm interested to see how it compares with my AXR4 USB-3 (C) interface in both performance and sound quality
I would be interested to hear your feedback , as I don't have the opportunity here in Oz to get across the Steinberg interfaces from the official source, so to speak, and the ARX units are 3.5K+ here, and pre order only, so haven't had a client that has gone that route to allow me a play :-(

I only see the TB version being offered local, so is the USB3 version a later additional ?

Quote:
I know the RME will give me years of professional service and have good resale value regardless though
For the vast majority of my RME clients, the PCIe solutions are a lifetime purchase , and I have had some awesome feedback on the Ferrofish units as well. I have one of the earlier units, the A16 MkII as one of my bench qualification units

Keep me in the loop

Lives for gear

21 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I still have my FF800 (bought March 2007) and use it as my primary interface on the PC. The PSU needed replacing after the power went out during Hurricane Sandy, but other than that, the only issue I ever had is random bluescreens with an "IRQL Not Equal" error. Last night, I turned it on and every light on the unit was flashing and I was hearing a popping sound out of my monitors. I thought for sure that was it, it was dead, time to replace it. I cycled the power and it went right back to normal.

I keep thinking I'll get a UFX II, but I'm avoiding the expense as long as the FF800 is still working. Looks like prices went up on the UFX II though and they're not in stock at Sweetwater. Supply chain I suppose. Any rumors of a new, similar, RME interface?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Vin.

I know the RME will give me years of professional service and have good resale value regardless though ...

I use exactly that.
RME HDSPe RayDat + Ferrofish A16 and still rock solid since 2015.
7 Years and I hope to many more ahead.

and with 2+3ms in/out latency with 128 buffer

Last edited by papawise; 27th September 2022 at 09:17 PM.. Reason: and with 2+3ms in/out latency with 128 buffer ;)
Old 27th September 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ufx+ and 2 Ferrofish A32 via MADI, rocksolid
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
3x RME HDSPe MADI (in Node2 Duo TB->pcie boxes) with 1 Pulse 16DX and 2 A32 Dante also rock solid.

I'm normally working on big sessions and need to record some audio last minute, pop open the applet to see what the buffer is set to, and it's still just sitting there at 32. It's only ever Ableton users that need to raise it (due to lack of dual/hybrid playback buffer).
Old 2nd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
3x RME HDSPe MADI (in Node2 Duo TB->pcie boxes) with 1 Pulse 16DX and 2 A32 Dante also rock solid.

I'm normally working on big sessions and need to record some audio last minute, pop open the applet to see what the buffer is set to, and it's still just sitting there at 32. It's only ever Ableton users that need to raise it (due to lack of dual/hybrid playback buffer).
Brilliant that's what I'm talking about.

I've just installed the card today, I now need to hook up all the Analogue IO to the Ferrofish.

I'll report back tomorrow.

I have a terrible head cold so I'm unsure I'll be able to hear the difference with the AD/DA but I can certainly test the latency/performance metric

I have an ARC set up as well so I can control everything from software.

As I have your attention: I presume if I connect all 4 of the ADAT ports then between the ferrosfish and the RME , I'll keep all my 16 analogue in /outs even at higher sample rates as it will spreads them out over the 4 ports???

Will total mix then just work as before with no change?

will this happen automatically?

M
Old 3rd October 2022
Lives for gear
Any idea of what the latency at 32 would be running into a Motu 828 MKII\III line in, out its ADAT into a RME RayDat Pro? I'm getting tractor beamed to it since I basically don't want to use the converters on my Quantum if I don't have to and don't want to use an aggregate device to expand my ADAT count.

But I've heard not so great things about RME's latency with ADAT. I don't know if that was resolved with the Pro iteration vs the older HDSPe.

Right now I'm sort full circle where I'm trying to figure out exactly what latency level I'm okay with. It's definately close to the floor in terms of latency. I recently learned the Quantum "daisy chain" is with aggregate devices which sort of bummed me out because aggregate devices are sort of a pain and I was under the assumption that the daisy chain expanded I\O count effortless which isn't the case.

Which sort of pointed me back towards the Raydat Pro, but not I'm back here worrying about latency. It is really sad to me that neither RME nor Motu have even matched old MOTU ADC specs. DAC specs have gone through the roof, but we're still nearly 20 years behind getting actual mastering grade ADCs for multi input devices.
Old 3rd October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonejunkee ➡️
just wish they would drop the ultralite tag as It's nearly 3lbs. I must be the only one weighing stuff anymore but still clinging to my old Zoom TAC2 (14oz). Once I see something lighter (and Avid goes full silicon), I'll grab a M3 MBA and be truly "ultralite"
Some caution as this thing performed WAY poorer than its chipset would lead you believe it would. Keep your eye on the Audient stuff, but they're being shady about the ID14 and ID44 right now. Their most recent DACs have performed worse than their MKII v. 1 offering (they're on 2 or 3) now since having to swap out from AKM to ESS.

But there's some speculation that the newest ADC on those might be very very good. Still digging to see if someone has some data on that. If so, they might be a really nice thing to have running an ID44 as an ADC to ADAT.
Old 9th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectacular g ➡️
Maybe the Audient Nero will be a good fit for you there?

We almost went that way but got a cheap but nice Coleman Audio LS3 to go after that RME Dac

G
I have a Nero and an RME Babyface Pro. I'm wondering how the DACs in both compare. I'm currently using the main analogue outs from the BF to the Nero, but I'd really like to use those as outs to process audio from Ableton. Would moving to optical from the BF to the Nero for monitoring be a down grade?
Old 10th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasimirsBlake ➡️
.... Would moving to optical from the BF to the Nero for monitoring be a down grade?
Nope (imho)
Old 15th October 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoskit ➡️
Nope (imho)
Does the RME Total Mix allow for plugins on individual outputs. For example, a room EQ plugin on main monitors, different plugin in on Monitor set B, and a different plugin on headphone output?

Outside of the DAW..
Old 16th October 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystroe ➡️
Does the RME Total Mix allow for plugins on individual outputs. For example, a room EQ plugin on main monitors, different plugin in on Monitor set B, and a different plugin on headphone output?

Outside of the DAW..
iirc (I've not used the FX system in little while TBH, hopefully someone will correct me if I've remembered incorrectly)
It does allow external plugins, only it's internal effects.
On each channel you've got dynamics and EQ, and a send and return the global FX, which could be say reverb and echo.

Hopefully this screenshot from Synthax's website shows this in operation:
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Hi,

I own a PrismSound Lyra2 (a massive upgrade compared to the BiGSiX) which I love for the converters and preamps. But the latency is a bit high, around 14ms with 256 Buffer.

My question: Should I choose the Presonus Quantum (great for tracking) or a RME Babyface Pro Fs? ADAT Connection.

I run a Mac Studio with 10 cores and 32 RAM. My DAW is Studio One. My projects contain around 20 - 30 tracks right now, some average plugin use, medium use of virtual synths, but I would like to integrate the INSPIRATA reverb on a regular basis.

My budget is around 1k.

Thanks
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Just did a latency test (as described by PrismSound) and the latency is below 10ms, it was 9.34ms with 44.1 KHz and 256 buffer. I guess that should be ok for me and I don’t think that the Babyface is so much better. Or in other words it will not justify another 1 grand for me.

I guess I can be happy with the LYRA2. Great Perfomance in my case through and through.

I was surprised that the LYRA2 is class compliant under M1, I read somewhere that the unit only runs with Rosetta, but fortunately it turned out to be a very easy setup. I was thinking I have to run through Rosetta.

Problems solved.
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
My loopback is through an fx chain (turned off) as I'm too lazy to reconnect anything. RTL for my Clarett4pre USB - same drivers as a Scarlett- says that

* at 16 buffer @ 96khz (16 is unusable in practice for me) that my RTL samples are 290 and 3.021ms

* at 128 buffer @ 96khz (usable with hardware on my system) it's RTL 725 samples and 7.552 ms
Here are my usb Clarett Pre 2 results at 88.1.

I use 88.1 because it provides significantly lower latency. I can use 64 or 128 buffer in practice most of the time, but some heavy EW orchestration work requires 256 to avoid issues. I'm using a ryzen 5 1600, not a slouch, but also not top grade nowadays.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base-untitled.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️

I'll test anything I get my hands on and post the results.
Great work! You're database is a great buyers guide reference.

Is the UA Apollo on the list a Silver or Blackface?

Thanks.
Gear Head

RME Babyface Pro (non FS) on Macbook Pro M1 13"

This is data for the Babyface Pro connected via USB through an Elgato Thunderbolt Dock into the Macbook Pro...with a bunch of other apps running in the background I should mention.

Also, connecting the USB cable to the Macbook via an official USB-C to USB-A adapter produces the exact same results.
Attached Thumbnails
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base-rmebabyface-usb-elgatothunderbolt3dock-rtl-input1_to_output1.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79adam79 ➡️
Great work! You're database is a great buyers guide reference.

Is the UA Apollo on the list a Silver or Blackface?

Thanks.
There are 2 Apollo Twin's listed , one is the original Windows only USB version, the 2nd is the Twin Mk II Thunderbolt unit

The later is now superseded with the Twin X.

There have been some end user reports of worse performance of late, so UA's drivers on Windows at least seem to be a moving target.

Old 2 weeks ago

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Hey all, my dinosaur of a studio PC finally went down for good and I’m shopping for a replacement. I figure it might also be a good time to replace my 828mk3 Hybrid. I love it, drivers have always been super stable, but RTL has been the Achilles heel. You can’t set the buffer below 64 samples, and honestly even if you could, my old computer couldn’t handle it anyway so I’ve kinda just lived with it all these years.

I’m really drawn to the Presonus Quantum because the I/O is nearly an exact match for the 828, so it would be pretty much a drop-in replacement. I run a lot of channels out to an analog console so I do actually need that many outputs & ADAT and SPDIF. But it’s made PC shopping difficult because I have to make provisions for potentially adding Thunderbolt. So I’m wondering if there’s anything in USB3 or PCI world with RTL numbers between 1-1.5ms, because that would make things a lot easier. I’m not seeing anything though.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

RTL Utility v1.0.5 released

For those of you who use RTL Utility, v1.0.5 has just been released: https://oblique-audio.com/rtl-utility.php
  • App launch times reduced by delaying initialisation of AudioDevices
  • CSV export button added to log tab
  • macOS: accuracy of reported latency improved for built-in devices (no change to measurements)
  • macOS: tweaked how latency components are formatted in RTL tooltip and added extra columns to log table
  • Windows: ASIO fix for some Denon DJ interfaces
  • Windows excecutables are now signed by Oblique Audio
  • macOs app is now signed by Andrew Jerrim and distributed as a notarized dmg
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust_tree ➡️
Hey all, my dinosaur of a studio PC finally went down for good and I’m shopping for a replacement. I figure it might also be a good time to replace my 828mk3 Hybrid. I love it, drivers have always been super stable, but RTL has been the Achilles heel. You can’t set the buffer below 64 samples, and honestly even if you could, my old computer couldn’t handle it anyway so I’ve kinda just lived with it all these years.

I’m really drawn to the Presonus Quantum because the I/O is nearly an exact match for the 828, so it would be pretty much a drop-in replacement. I run a lot of channels out to an analog console so I do actually need that many outputs & ADAT and SPDIF. But it’s made PC shopping difficult because I have to make provisions for potentially adding Thunderbolt. So I’m wondering if there’s anything in USB3 or PCI world with RTL numbers between 1-1.5ms, because that would make things a lot easier. I’m not seeing anything though.
Don't hesitate on the Quantum.

I run one and it's outstanding.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
RME RayDat PCIe card was possibly the best investment in computer audio that I've ever made.
📝 Reply