Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base - Page 165 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Audio Interface - Low Latency Performance Data Base
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Actually, I'm currently having issues with my UAC-2 as well, some weird out-of-phase sound from the DAs and crackling. It's intermittent and I haven't found the reason yet (all this on Mac). I may have to withdraw my recommendation.

At any rate, this sort of thing never, ever happened with my RME interfaces, not once in 20 years.
SEA
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgilroy ➡️
See the post directly above yours:

1: RME Babyface Pro
2. UAD Arrow or the new solo (Tb3)
3. Apogee Duet

Solid choices. RME probably will the best latency here.
I use the RayDat with my Prism Lyra 2. Awesome sound and extremely low latency!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullo ➡️
There are issues with non intel USB chipsets. Otherwise it works flawlessly.

I also had issues with their software. It would freeze and glitch. It caused me more trouble than was worth. I was on windows 10 at the time. And I had a UAD Arrow. The arrow stayed.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullo ➡️
Tui: Obviously I was being ironic. I said "afraid"....
I agree with your reply. Didnt say is in the same league as RME....but for many applications your don't want the routing flexibility RME gives you. Sometimes RTL is more important....and Im saying UAC-2/8 a amazing in that field, so I'm still waiting to see it in the OP's list with the official score...
I think Tafkat said many times that he was unable to get a unit for testing. Correct me someone if I’m wrong…
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Hey all, I'm looking for a secondary USB interface with decent performance. All I need is balanced stereo line level in/out and hoping to find something for around $100 (used is fine).

Does anyone know if a Focusrite 2i2 performs the same as 6i6? Is gen3 any better than the g2 tested?

Or any other recommendations?

Thanks
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC ➡️
Hey all, I'm looking for a secondary USB interface with decent performance. All I need is balanced stereo line level in/out and hoping to find something for around $100 (used is fine).

Does anyone know if a Focusrite 2i2 performs the same as 6i6? Is gen3 any better than the g2 tested?

Or any other recommendations?

Thanks
2i2 is a great pick for this, I think, sort of a 'classic.' I haven't heard the newer revisions yet, but I'd like to. They test well on Audio Science Review.
Here for the gear

speaking of database stuff, there's constantly growing headphone output performance database on Youtube channel 'Julian Krause'
https://www.youtube.com/user/JayKayRause/videos

data sheet currently looks like this:
https://imgur.com/qEumVlI
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
2i2 is a great pick for this, I think, sort of a 'classic.' I haven't heard the newer revisions yet, but I'd like to. They test well on Audio Science Review.
Cool thanks, I ordered a 2nd hand G2.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
The Gen 3 has a good review but I saw that Amir has a lot of troubles testing a 18i8 Gen 2 due to driver/BSOD problems on his machines…

Personally, I own a 2i2 second gen and the only problem I had is that it wasn’t always waking up after sleep. The solution: plugging the 2i2 in a small USB2 powered hub.
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Just saw the RME facebook page for a new product announcement teaser, potentially a Fireface UCX FS.
My Fireface UCX just shipped this morning from Thomann....
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirKen ➡️
Just saw the RME facebook page for a new product announcement teaser, potentially a Fireface UCX FS.
Hmmm... Head-to Head-against new MOTU UltraLite-mk5...

Hard to justify price differential?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That's right. It's the UCX II:

https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ucx-ii.html
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

SOS article:
https://www.soundonsound.com/news/rme-ucx-ii-unveiled

German audio interface and converter manufacturers RME today celebrate their 25th anniversary, and they're marking the occasion by releasing an upgraded version of their popular UCX compact interface. The UCX II retains the original's half-rack form factor, and sports the same I/O configuration, but boasts a new higher-resolution display, superior clocking technology, standalone recording, and DC-coupled analogue outputs for use with modular synth setups.

The Direct USB Recording function is borrowed from RME's premium UFX range, and lets you record all of the interface's inputs, via the UCX II's TotalMix FX DSP mixer, to an attached USB drive. (When not in use, you can use the USB A-type port to connect an RME ARC monitor controller instead.)

The SteadyClock FS internal clock, meanwhile, is inherited from RME's ADI-2 series of mastering-quality converters, and sports the company's proprietary jitter suppression and filtering reduction technology.

Also new to the UCX II is the ability to control its internal mixer via WiFi, using either a desktop (Apple or Windows) or mobile (Android/iOS) device. And, finally, the UCX II will ship with RME's DigiCheck Analyzer suite of audio analysis plug-ins, designed to help ensure the integrity of your digital audio connections.

The RME UCX II will go on sale from July, and carries an RRP of £1149 including VAT.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Just send it back...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Just send it back...
What about customs and duties etc? I’ll figure out something
Gear Addict

Quote:
What about customs and duties etc? I’ll figure out something
Where are you located? In the EU you have 14 days return rights for online purchases.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Where are you located? In the EU you have 14 days return rights for online purchases.
I am in Canada. Returns are a bit of a hassle right now.

It is alright, I might just use it for a while and then upgrade to something bigger at some point anyway.
Gear Addict

Quote:
I am in Canada. Returns are a bit of a hassle right now.

It is alright, I might just use it for a while and then upgrade to something bigger at some point anyway.
10 days return policy in Canada afaik. Never lived there though. Just in the US.
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tenant ➡️
That's right. It's the UCX II:

https://www.rme-audio.de/fireface-ucx-ii.html
I didn’t see any mention of how AES and SPDIF coax can be connected. It looks like the socket on the back of the unit would need some kind of adapter…
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui ➡️
I didn’t see any mention of how AES and SPDIF coax can be connected. It looks like the socket on the back of the unit would need some kind of adapter…
It will be a breakout cable that is supplied with the unit for AES and Coax SPDIF.

The breakout cable is used on numerous RME models.

Optical/TOSLink SPDIF is available by converting the ADAT Ports mode from ADAT I/O to SPDIF

Last edited by TAFKAT; 1 week ago at 05:33 AM..
Tui
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️
It will be a breakout cable that is supplied with the unit for AES and Coax SPDIF.

The breakout cable is used on numerous RME models.

Optical/TOSLink SPDIF is available by converting the ADAT Ports mode from ADAT I/O to SPDIF

Right, thanks.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Antelope Zen Q Low Latency Performance vs Discrete 8 TB Benchmark

I'm following Vin's benchmarks since around 2008 but I still couldn't afford buying a low latency interface, and even more, one that was worth the money IMO for my use case and budget.

Congratulations Vin by the way on the podcasts with such great guests and hosts.

I was having so many hits and miss with Windows that I just decided to accept a good deal on a new minimum specs Mac Mini M1 last month and although I'm having several issues with MacOS and M1, may be it may work for me, and if not, I'll go back to Windows, or may be Linux, because I'm not much of a fanboy of either OS or brand. I just like what allows me to do what I want in the easiest way I can.

I'm just looking for an audio interface with very low latency and performance, with just 2 balanced combo inputs for Mics and/or stereo line or instruments, and headphones and/or monitor outputs, nothing more, highly preferably compact and bus powered. I don't like wasting space, power, nor extra heat and money on things I don't use or need.

I'm very thankful to Vin for showing me that not only latency matters, but also performance of the whole system as well as the variations in noise and performance when trying to achieve lower latency with higher rates and lower samples.

I really like RME's brand reputation and the Babyface Pro FS, sincerely, but I still want to squeeze latency and performance as much as I can afford, as there are really hungry plugins out there.

Although I see some Antelope criticism from a few users, the new Antelope Zen Q Synergy Core really got my attention. It's very expensive for my use case, but still it could be my first audio interface.

I don't need DSP's not want to depend on them, I don't need ADAT either, because this is just a hobby for me, but still I'd really like having a LLP system for recording live AU / VSTi because I can't spend 6k USD on Pro Tools HDX.

Anyway, at this point I'm really interested in knowing if the Antelope Zen Q Thunderbolt 3 audio interface would be comparable to the Antelope Discrete 8 that scored so high in the LLP benchmark as it would be for example with RME's USB 2 interfaces, comparable in Low-Latency Performance I mean.

Thank you in advance for any advice or orientation if any of you can guide me through my first audio interface purchase or if I should wait.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Talking of the podcast, i’m missing my fix of ‘putting pins in things’ and ‘elephants in the room’. But seriously, i really enjoy sitting and just listening-in for a couple of hours - no screens to look at.
Old 17 hours ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lince Palido ➡️
Anyway, at this point I'm really interested in knowing if the Antelope Zen Q Thunderbolt 3 audio interface would be comparable to the Antelope Discrete 8 that scored so high in the LLP benchmark as it would be for example with RME's USB 2 interfaces, comparable in Low-Latency Performance I mean.

Thank you in advance for any advice or orientation if any of you can guide me through my first audio interface purchase or if I should wait.
Hey Lince,

Thank you for the kind sentiments, happy to hear you are enjoying the podcast :-)

Re your audio interface driver performance question , with you diving in on the new MAC M1's , that is a difficult question to answer as it depends on Antelopes M1 native driver development and compatibility.

On Windows the driver performance should be in line with the Discreet 8 TB results if the driver is based on the previous TB driver development. I can't see why it wouldn't be.

There is a different driver ( later ) revision 1.4.6.146 for the TB3 interfaces over the earlier TB2 1.2.9.112

Might be worth asking Antelope the question if there is any significant changes from the previous driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onceagain ➡️
Talking of the podcast, i’m missing my fix of ‘putting pins in things’ and ‘elephants in the room’. But seriously, i really enjoy sitting and just listening-in for a couple of hours - no screens to look at.
Ha, thanks for the feedback :-)

Pins and elephants returning soon , LOL !!

We are taking a bit of a breather atm, but will be back around July/August.

Old 12 hours ago | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT ➡️
Might be worth asking Antelope...
Thank you for the advice, sure it's worth asking Antelope, I'll do that, not sure if it will be worth them to respond though lol.

Thanks again for your good job and for sharing it helping making better audio gear and enlighten consumers.

Have a good breath!
📝 Reply