The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 160X in the plug in land?
Old 13th January 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
My sknote 165a causes low level hiss even when it's turned on and not passing audio. Anyone else getting this? It's low level, but enough to be easily aparent post mastering. I had to go back and replace it in a project I just finished. It's basically unusable...
i will check but to tell you the truth , i ain't using it since awhile , i was waiting for the features to be completed to fully validate its use in serious projects
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung ➡️
Maybe this one will do the trick:

de la Mancha sixtyfive
Good news and bad news...

Good: The sixtyfive is now free
Bad: It will no loger be supported or updated

effects | de la Mancha plugins
Old 13th January 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ArtsAcoustic CL1. It's inspired by compressors such as the 76 and the 160. I thought the NI VC sounded good until I heard the CL1. It's definitley the most analog sounding compressor.

🎧 15 years
Keep in mind that a real hardware DBX 160X is around $200 used price. Not much money to try out the real thing or use it as a base to compare emulation plugs against. If you end up not keeping it and reselling, you are looking at probably only losing shipping costs.
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowkey ➡️
My sknote 165a causes low level hiss even when it's turned on and not passing audio. Anyone else getting this? It's low level, but enough to be easily aparent post mastering. I had to go back and replace it in a project I just finished. It's basically unusable...
Keep an eye on the sknote website, there is an update coming that removes the hiss...
Old 24th July 2014

🎧 15 years
Have you tried Apple's AU Dynamics plugin? It's pretty squashy...
Old 24th July 2014 | Show parent
SKnote

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogernotroger ➡️
Keep an eye on the sknote website, there is an update coming that removes the hiss...
In the meanwhile, note: it doesn't need "to be completed", it is going "to be expanded"!!!

Noise: updated the model, issue solved. Distributing it soon.

Note n.2: don't confuse 165 with 160!!! Completely different structures!!
Old 17th August 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
DYN4000 from OverToneDSP is the best sounding to me with release control and no-brainer price. it is SSL based but sounds great on drums and transient rich material
Old 17th August 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Noise: updated the model, issue solved. Distributing it soon.
What happened to this Quinto...isn't three weeks later past soon
Old 11th September 2014

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I thought I'd bring back this thread because I'm very interested in hearing what everyone considers to be the best dbx160 plugin these days.
Old 11th September 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Don't know about the best but the NI VC160 is my go to at the moment. It really puts that punch or snap in my drums and it sounds super nice. Built by Softube too.

I like simplicity and that plug is as simple as it gets imo.
Old 11th September 2014
Gear Guru

🎧 20 years
As mentioned the McDSP 6030 160VU comp can be quite cool, plus you get 9 other compressors with it.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I'm surprised no one mentioned the CDSoundmaster dbx 160A Nebula libraries. They are by far the best I've heard. I tried the Natives one but it just didn't have the "oomph" of the real 160.

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telmo ➡️
dbx® 160 Compressor / Limiter Plug-In | Universal Audio

the best I've ever heard for DBX emulation
The DBX 160 and 160X sound nothing alike. Night and day, really.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 20 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpchartrand ➡️
I'm surprised no one mentioned the CDSoundmaster dbx 160A Nebula libraries. They are by far the best I've heard. I tried the Natives one but it just didn't have the "oomph" of the real 160.
I'm a little confused. Are you talking about the 160 or the 160a? As hardware, they don't sound the same at all.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Really? The 160A library I have works wonders on kicks and snares. I thought it was just a revision of the original 160. No?

🎧 15 years
Each of the hardware DBX models is a variation on the same theme (they all have their distinct personality and sound). The OP asked specifically about emulation of the 160X. The trouble is most never compare an emulation plug to the REAL pc. of hardware and thus have no clue if it has some sound resemblance or just the GUI has the right knobs in the right place.
Old 12th September 2014 | Show parent

🎧 5 years
The original DBX 160VU is 2 rack spaces high and 1/2 rack space wide. It has a big lighted analog VU meter and looks very "vintage" with wooden sides, etc. It sounds a bit dark and heavy, and the VU is notoriously slow so that if you're compressing highly transient material, like tambo/drums/perc or even acoustic guitar you are doing a LOT more gain reduction than the meter tells you.

The 160A, 160X and 160XT are all minor variations of the same device. It is a single rack space high and full 19" rack width. All LED metering.

To make it simple, the original 160 versus the 160A/X/XT sound as different as they look. I've owned a number of each of all 4 variants and used all on lots of different sources. All 3 of the latter sound very similar (I've actually shot those 3 out on the same source in the same room) but any of those compared to the 160VU, it's apples and oranges.

To be clear, the UAD is modeled on the original 160VU. It's a love it or hate it thing for most people.

Warning: Old school compressor story. I cannot remember now which exact album it was, but back in the 80's, there was a very successful metal band that mixed an entire project (analog tape, obviously) with a DBX 160X inserted between the 24 track tape machine outputs and the console input. Yup, a DBX 160X smashing every track before it even got to the console. Shame I can't remember which band, but an engineer buddy visited a friend at the studio and freaked when he saw all the compressors stacked up in the control room. Too funny.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks for all the information guys. Man I love GS!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getalife2 ➡️
The DBX 160 and 160X sound nothing alike. Night and day, really.
A few years ago I put an attachment up with a 160X and UA's 160VU plug. It's post #9 around mid-page here. I was hoping to get a bit more feedback on it, as they sounded much more similar than I expected. In fact, unless I just chose the wrong source clip to play with, you couldn't really even tell where one stopped and the other started. If I did choose the wrong material or settings, I guess it still says that under certain conditions, the plug will sound roughly the same as an 'X' (or one of my X's).

Anybody else with a 160X and that old UAD plug might want to try it, but if the VU is that much different than those other models, it shouldn't sound much like the plug either, and I would be interested to hear some third party comparisons.

Take Care
Old 12th September 2014
Gear Guru

A real 160VU I'd use on drums, a 160X or XT would never get near a drum kit. Getalife2 was right on, the are completely different sounding boxes. I've yet to hear any emulation sound like the real thing but that's another matter.
Old 13th September 2014 | Show parent
Deleted User
This will be the best 30$ that you'll spend.

C165a VCA Compressor with sidechain

Old 27th November 2018 | Show parent

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
7 year old thread and still no one made a 160X emulation yet? Yes I know many 160 VU emulations but the 160X is different...
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Guru

18 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I did a shootout with the UAD, Waves, Native Instruments, and a hardware DBX 560A

the hardware was slightly better, very slightly

but my software pick was without a doubt the Native Instruments VC160. It just has that snappy tone, and extra features that are modern and needed.

I have two permanently inserted on my drum template, on kick and snare.

OK... sometimes I turn them off if needed. But for a lot of stuff they make it to the final mix.
Old 7th March 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I’m shocked there isn’t a Nebula version.

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx ➡️
I did a shootout with the UAD, Waves, Native Instruments, and a hardware DBX 560A

the hardware was slightly better, very slightly

but my software pick was without a doubt the Native Instruments VC160. It just has that snappy tone, and extra features that are modern and needed.

I have two permanently inserted on my drum template, on kick and snare.

OK... sometimes I turn them off if needed. But for a lot of stuff they make it to the final mix.
I have no clue whatsoever how this compares to the original (I'll take your word for it though), but I've always liked the NI VC160 too. I should use it more than I do...
Old 7th March 2019
Deleted 222f60c
The Waves one is really nice actually
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffydog ➡️
No contest..the best one is compressor 260 by yamaha / steinberg
ON THE MONEY......
+1
📝 Reply