The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Yamaha KX88 tech question
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Yamaha KX88 tech question

I have a Yamaha KX88 as my controller. I removed the spring in the pitch wheel so I could reassign Pitch to CC11 Expression. I did the reassignment in Logic, not on the KX88. However, the pitch wheel has a dead spot right at its midpoint at value 64 , where if you move the wheel a little up and down from that point, it still ouputs a value of 64 until you move it move than about a half inch inch in either direction. Does anyone know how to program the pitch wheel to avoid this? Thanks.
Old 4th May 2011
Lives for gear

14 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Why on Earth did you do that to the pitchbend? Why not assign CC11 to the mod wheel, or is that defunct? Or the sliders? That's what they are there for.

Anyway, I think it's not possible. I'm no expert, but I think those old '80s keyboards had their system stored in ROM so no flash upgrade. But google it to make sure.
Old 4th May 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic ➡️
Why on Earth did you do that to the pitchbend? Why not assign CC11 to the mod wheel, or is that defunct? Or the sliders? That's what they are there for.

Anyway, I think it's not possible. I'm no expert, but I think those old '80s keyboards had their system stored in ROM so no flash upgrade. But google it to make sure.
I spent a while on Google, nothing. FYI, Mod is already good with most of my VIs, so don't want to disable that. And nothing beats wheels for smooth data entry for CC11 on instruments such as VSL. I don't like sliders.
Old 26th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I just figured this out. You have to use an arcane hex system to do it.

Hit MODE once to get into CA mode. You should see a blinking CA.

Then hold MODE to get to PA Mode. You should now see a blinking PA.

Next, there are two rows/banks of buttons, one is marked A, the other B. Along the A row, push the button marked 11, it should say "Control Change" underneath it.

Once you hit this the top displays CC on the top and the bottom two dashes are blinking. Think of this step as creating a preset, but first you must select the preset you wish to program.

Presets 40 and up are USER Custom, so just program preset 40. Under the B row of numbers, type in 51, this will actually input the numbers 40. There are secondary numbers in grey above the numbered buttons, those are the actual values. ie 1 has a small grey 0 above. Don't even ****ing ask why. Once you do this you will see two values flashing on the top display.

Next is where you actually assign MIDI CC, and for whatever the **** reason, to get CC11 you need to type 1 and then 12. It should display 0b. I know. WTF. If you're reading the small grey numbers type in 0 followed by B. The bottom display will show a blinking 0. Just hit 1(grey 0), and Mode one more time to exit out.

Next all you need to do is program Preset 40 to a slider, footswitch whatever. To do that, hit the MODE button followed by wheel 1-Fc2 depending on what you want to program, and then punch in 40.

What a bullshit way to program something. I need a drink.
Old 26th June 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Kx88

Westlake....you are a brave man.

K
Old 29th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Thank you, sir.

Just got this official set of instructions from Yamaha. They are better than my ramblings. Kx88 users UNITE!

Here are the steps for assigning expression (11) to the KX88. Ensure that you're inputting "0B" as the Control Change number.

Assigning a Non-Preset Controller Code to a MIDI Control on a KX88

By assigning a Controller Code, the user can customize the available MIDI Controls (i.e. Wheels, Switches, Sliders, Foot Controls, etc.)

EXAMPLE: Controller Code 40 = Expression Pedal and Assigning Expression to 'Continuous Slider 1' (CS1).

1) Press the [MODE] button to enter 'Controller Assign' (CA) mode. The top LED display should blink 'CA' and the 'Controller' LED should be lit.

2) Press and Hold the [MODE] for about 2 seconds to enter the ‘Parameter Assign’ (PA) mode. The top LED display should blink 'PA'.

3) Press the Bank A switch 11 (Control Change). The upper readout will show ‘CC’.

4) Enter the MIDI Controller Code you want to define (in this example 40) by using the Bank B switches 0-F.
NOTE: 0-F are written in small characters above the buttons.

5) Enter the MIDI Controller Number you want (in this example 0B) by using the Bank B switches 0-F.

6) Press the Bank B switch 0 to enter the Data Type.
NOTE: This does not apply to our example, but something must be entered to complete the process.

6) Go to CA mode again (Step 1) and assign controller 40 to CS1.

Assigning Controller Code 40 to 'Continuous Slider 1' (CS1).
1) Press the [MODE] button to enter the 'Controller Assign' (CA) mode. The top LED should blink 'CA' and the 'Controller' LED should be lit.

2) Press the [5] button (CS1) in 'Bank A Program Select' (the top Bank of assign buttons) to select Continuous Slider 1. The bottom LED display should be blinking and selected for editing.

3) Press the [5] button (value = 4) and the [1] button (value = 0) to enter '40'.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
westlake -- hey man, thanks! I called Yamaha, some guy in an advanced tech dept, but he didn't know about this stuff.

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
KX88 Manual
Old 30th June 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
For you KX88 experts out there, as 88 note controllers go, is a KX88 in good shape worth trying to buy nowadays, if the priority is the feel of the action and programming/live performance control is secondary? My Studio Logic 2001 craped out and I just want a good quality 88 note controller with a piano weighted keyboard. Or are there much better options, say in the $400 price range?
Old 7th July 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I would highly recommend it! I bought one but it was stuck in Dual Mode and I had to return it. The second one I bought was off of Ebay and luckily picked it up locally. A good one is in the $400-500 range typically. These things are tanks and last forever. I know a bunch of film guys that use them as well. The action is great.

I've also heard the Roland A80 and A90 are great as well.
Old 18th July 2011 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
I just bought the KX88 used, and its a beast from the weight to the programming.

Right now, the problem that I have is getting my volume pedal to work. I have tried to program it by following what it says in the manual, but the more I try the more I become confused and frustrated. Does anyone know how to set up the volume pedal? I am using the yamaha FC7. Thanks.
Old 23rd August 2012 | Show parent

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by westlake79 ➡️
I would highly recommend it! I bought one but it was stuck in Dual Mode and I had to return it.
Just wanted to put a note on this! I searched the whole Net for a solution for the described problem kx88 stuck in dual mode and finally seem to have solved it! So maybe someone finds this solution helpfull!

I tested many resets & it did now work. I opened and uplugged cables - did not work.
Finally I remembered similar problems while a key was stuck, so I hammered on all keys wildly after turning power on. Then the MS1 switch for solo mode worked!!!!!!! I guess some dust made a key loose its contact to the bottom metal tongue which normally is disconnected only when the key is pressed.
This would maybe explain, why switching mode is not possible while the keyboard has to wait for other data!

Hope I could help someone!

Martin
Old 6th September 2012

🎧 10 years
I just purchase a KX-88, and had it in single mode, don't ask me how I did it, some how I did, and now I can't get it out of Dual. I have the manual, and it's telling me to press MS1, which I did, and it's not working. I have it hooked up to a Roland JV-1010.

I'd appreciate anyone that can help me.
Old 25th November 2016

🎧 5 years
Another tech question, hope someone is still subscribed to this 4-years-old topic...
Is it really-really-really not possible to redefine program change buttons? My synth has more than one bank, so it's more than 127 voices, pretty common nowadays. I switched to 8-bank mode, and checked with MIDI monitor, yes KX-88 sends these codes in range of 0 to 127. I am OKay with this selection but can I assign different instruments? I suspect it is not even sending the bank number... memory limit? Anyone knows of a piece of software for IOS or OSX or win32, to route MIDI and rewrite on the fly, inserting bank number + change program number?
📝 Reply