The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UAD 2 duo card. Sell or keep
Old 28th March 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
UAD 2 duo card. Sell or keep

So I received this as part of the la-610 rebate deal from last year. I have many great plug ins(waves,etc.),but never used these cards. Am I missing out on some great stuff by selling this to fund a new mic purchase? Just such a great deal from the rebate, but I don't know if I'd ever put up the money to buy one down the line......
Old 28th March 2011
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Once you start to use the card, you're likely to get hooked. And before you know it, you'll spend many hundreds of dollars, if not a couple thousand, on the incredible plugins UA makes.

So, you'd better ask yourself: do you want to go down that road? If not, you might be wiser to sell the card before you get your first taste of the Neve EQs, or the EMT140, or the Roland effects, or the Massive Passive, or....
Old 28th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The UAD plugs are amazing, I say keep the card.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It depends... how much would you sell it for? heh
Old 28th March 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I suppose I should keep it. That's what most people tell me. I've never felt like I was lacking in plug ins but they do seem great. But I also would really like a ribbon mic. Grrrrrr. Decisions decisions! Thanks for the advice
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
UAD

Less is more.....

K
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
do you love the sound or do you hate the hassle? The plugs sound good and have a lot of fans. Periodically, the UA cards cease to work. And while UA points at the DAW guys, or the OS guys, or whomever, and while the various factions scramble to repair whatever is broken, the UD card does not work. What is even more frustrating is this does not seem to happen to everybody. But it does happen to enough people that it is clearly not user error. What did Clint Eastwood say, "Do you feel lucky..., well, do you?"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
best thing I ever did was sell my UAD-2 card and go 100% native. My DAW is so powerful I don't need DSP and native plugs are now just as good as UAD,also there's less heat/power used on my DAW.

10 years ago I loved my UAD for what it offered, Fast forward to the 21st century and that's no longer the case.

MC
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Keep it. If not for anything ells, then for the Studder. 20 mono channels of good tape sound....
Old 28th March 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Ahh that's the thing. Is the Studer worth it? It's tough. I haven't run into problems yet with my 3ghz quad core Mac pro. Just don't wanna install it and then think" damn, now it's a used card". I just have never been able to put the UA stuff up against the my other stuff. Don't mean to run this into the ground. Thanks for the advice guys
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You would have to pry mine out of my cold dead hands.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] ➑️
do you love the sound or do you hate the hassle? The plugs sound good and have a lot of fans. Periodically, the UA cards cease to work. And while UA points at the DAW guys, or the OS guys, or whomever, and while the various factions scramble to repair whatever is broken, the UD card does not work. What is even more frustrating is this does not seem to happen to everybody. But it does happen to enough people that it is clearly not user error. What did Clint Eastwood say, "Do you feel lucky..., well, do you?"
I've had various UAD cards for several years. None of them failed to work ever. I'm suspecting another guy making comments who has never even owned one of the cards. They make great plugs. If you want them keep the card and buy them. You won't be disappointed. Even some of the free ones that come with the card are pretty good.
L.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
its a dongle but the plugs are so wicked who cares, cant live without a800+fatso
Old 29th March 2011
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Think I gotta keep it. That whole Studer thing is eatin at me
Old 29th March 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➑️
best thing I ever did was sell my UAD-2 card and go 100% native. My DAW is so powerful I don't need DSP and native plugs are now just as good as UAD,also there's less heat/power used on my DAW.

10 years ago I loved my UAD for what it offered, Fast forward to the 21st century and that's no longer the case.

MC
For me, I've got stupid-fast computers that can do all the processing I need natively and then some. But even with the great native options out there from Softube, Sonnox, Lexicon, and the like, there are still things that I feel I can only achieve using UAD.

I'm not saying you're wrong, and I'm not saying I'm right. I don't know what I'm saying. Maybe just that different strokes are valid for different folks.

Anyway, there's no wrong answer here.
πŸ“ Reply